1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New to the GH4 and loving what I can get away with ISO wise

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by KBeezie, Jun 12, 2019.

1. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Until I got the GH4, my main video options were:

My hacked GH1, ~100mbps bit rate for video (24p from 48i in FHD 1080, and 59.97i in SH 720p), but is best to keep ISO below 400, preferably at 100, 800+ pretty unusable by my standard. And course 4K not an option.

My Pentax Q10, same deal as above, limited options, and on top of keeping ISO low, you want to keep the aperture below f/3.2 or heavy diffraction.

My E-M1 Mk1 (previously E-M5 Mk1), limited to 26mbps , chunky around the shadows, usable up to around ISO 800 but not a lot of details to be had, but least there was in body stabilization.

And then I got my GH4, figured I would try was the higher ISO range that I normally wouldn't be able to get anything clean out of my existing cameras, and then see what I could clean while retaining details (doing the same process with the previous cameras would pretty much result in mud or loss of general detail with the 'grain' being the only real detail).

The original recordings were done as Cinema 4K (4096x2160) 100mbps (in-camera it's 8-bit 4:2:0) and then transcoded to Cineform YUV 10-bit 2K (2048x1080 4:4:4)*

Then edited in Davinci Resolve 15.3.1, to do some temporal noise reduction, some spatial, tiny bit of sharpening, and some color tweaking before exporting back out as a DNxHR HQ file, and encoded to H.264 with Handbrake (which does much better than Resolve's own H.264 encoder). Essentially Clean -> Sharpen -> Add a lil texture back in smoothed areas.

* With the appropriate destination format such as ProRes or Cineform, a 4K 8-bit 4:2:0 file can be transcoded or supersampled down to a 1080p/2K file that is 4:4:4 , and a tiny bit better than 8-bit (since there's no in between, and 4:4:4 only exists as 10-bit, it's the bits that gets used anyways to contain what translated). The result gives better color fidelity and tonality, and overall better dynamic range. Useful if that is more the goal than resolution. Whether or not it's worth the trouble is a different argument.

Graded/Edited :

Not graded/edited (youtube is going to basically blur out the areas of noise during compression, it'll also destroy any added grain, hence vimeo for the first video)

Needless to say, I'm impressed with the new-to-me GH4 in handling the ISO ranges I would not normally use for video on my previous cameras. I'll still use my GH1 perhaps as a secondary camera angle or to get b-rolls, but will use my GH4 as primary (Especially since I can actually monitor the audio, do live hdmi out to a monitor, etc).

I just used the in-camera audio for sake of portability as I wasn't planning on using the footage for anything. Otherwise I would have attached the Rode Stereo Video Mic I have and the deadcat.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.