New to the forum in NY, NY.

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Eggradio, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Eggradio

Eggradio Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Hi. I used Mu-43 to research for my first Mu43 camera. Now that I have ordered one (a GX-1 w/20mm f1.7), I decided to join.

I have not shot with a serious camera in nearly a decade (my last high quality camera was a Nikon N6006). I have been reluctant to get into digital, mostly because it seemed inferior to film in quality and process. But after doing a lot of research I have found that, at minimum, the enjoyment of shooting and "developing" (in my case I will be using Lightroom to process RAW) may be very close to the old days when I used to shoot and develop B&W during high school. I loved that process and I am happy to have found something similar.

In any case, I just bought my first digital kit please check it out and let me know if there are any glaring omissions:

Lumix GX1 body
    Lumix 20mm F1.7
    32gb Class 10 memory card
    B&W 46mm UV filter
    Adobe Lightroom 3

I think this is a good start. (An Olympus 45mm 1.8 is in my near future, but I want to get the "feel" of composition and framing back, so using a single focal length at first seems like a good idea).

I look forward to posting and learning here a lot in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  2. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    Welcome !

I wouldn't be surprised if you start suffering from GAS and acquire the PL25/1.4 as well :biggrin:
  3. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M

A goal and a great kit to start with. It looks like you'll be having a lot of fun in the coming new year.
  4. Eggradio

Eggradio Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Thanks, bobbywise and mnhoj. That Olympus 45/1.8 looks SO GREAT! I'm not sure how long I will be able to go before I pick one of those up...

Bobby, you don't find the 25 redundant? It seems like a luxury lens (one to have after you have all of the basics already). But I do plan on putting together a collection of primes. Indeed, an f1.4 lens might be in my future...
  5. Hauki

Hauki Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2011
    Somerset, England
    Welcome aboard
  6. NY, NY, the Mecca of urban photography.

Were I still up there one of my first trips would be to find traces of WeeGee's awesome work.
    He did for NYC what Porter and Adams did for the western USA. Weegee's World Home Page
  7. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Welcome.. go Yankees and Mets!
  8. Eggradio

Eggradio Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Thanks all! I am a Mets fan. Not too much hope for the coming year. But cheap tickets at field level. Maybe a telephoto lens...

Speaking of which: I have heard that Mu43 cameras have some problems capturing action. Not only because of the AF speed but because of live-view LCD lag when compared to the "direct" view of a mirror in an SLR. Is there an appreciable difference between a Mu43 system (point and shoot style) and an slr?

I checked out Weegee's world. Really inspiring stuff. I can't wait to get started.
  9. Eggradio

Eggradio Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    The GX1 body and 20mm f1.7 arrived today!

LVF2, UV filter coming soon.

The depth of field is razor thin wide open. The following jpeg shows it. I just wanted to see what it looks like but I should have gone up a few stops. It's hard to see the exact degree of DOF on the LCD.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Welcome here from Boise, Idaho.. watch for GAS.. nothing seems to help get rid of GAS except more purchases.. and that only last for a few weeks.. :smile: