1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New to the forum and wishing for advice about the GF1!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by James, Apr 14, 2011.

1. James

James Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 14, 2011
    I am upgrading from my film camera and panasonic lx3.
    I am wishing to buy a GF1
    I have been reading lots about various lense options, flashes etc.
    Does anyone have any advice on a suitable swivel head flash that is a good companion to the GF1 - i.e alternatives to the panasonic flashes.
    Are there cheaper flashes that offer ttl metering?

also.....i have a sigma fisheye (used on my canon eos 5) are there adapters that can be used to allow this to work on the GF1?

Any one's advice would be much appreciated

off to now try to locate a GF1 as stock seems to be low out there!!!

thanks
    james

• Like Like x 1
  2. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    The GF1 has been discontinued, which is one of the reasons you are seeing a stock shortage (when it's gone, it's GONE!).

You can find adapters for pretty much any format lens to fit m43 on eBay, as well as some of the manufacturers' web sites (the adapter makers, not the lens makers). Keep in mind though that EF and EF-S lenses aren't a really good match to being adapted as Canon uses an electric aperture control instead of a mechanical one. As there are no electrical connections between the m43 body and your Canon lens (and even if there were, they would need to know how to talk to each other), your lens will have to be shot wide open. I have seen/heard about some kludge adapters that gave you some kind of aperture control, but that sounds both expensive and ineffective. There is also a kludge that requires you always having your Canon with you, but then why not shoot with that?

As for flashes, there are some third-party TTL flashes people on here are using. Nissan I think is a popular one. I've found that you can find Olympus flashes (which Panasonic has pretty much rebadged and sells as their own) much cheaper and more plentifully than Panasonic's. I'm using a hulking FL-50, though an FL-36 is likely more than enough.

3. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Welcome to the forum here mate. Good choice on the GF1, Panny have done a great job on that camera. I would recommend to get the 20mm, you definitely wont be disappointed. If you can get your hands on a 14-45mm that is a great walk around lens to have as well.

I'm not sure about the flash question. Hopefully someone will be able to give some advice on that.

Let us know when you get your camera:smile:

4. James

James Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 14, 2011
    The GF1 has been purchased

the GF1 has been purchased. cannot wait.
    gf1 and the 20mm f1.7

next.....flash....its going to be either the Nissin Di466 or the fl-36?
    any thoughts anyone?

and a second lense? should it be the a panny zoom, or maybe an olympus?

5. The fl-36 works fine and does everything that I want it to, but...it is SLOW. Slow to initially charge, and slow to recycle. I think the main problem is that it takes only two AA batteries.

6. dfroelich

dfroelich Mu-43 Regular

Nov 15, 2010
    That depends on your budget and the the reach you are looking for. If you are looking at telephotos, the panasonics all have Optical Image Stabilization, while the Oly lenses do not (the Oly bodies have stabilization in the camera body).

I started with the GF1/20mm kit, and immediately picked up the ~$240 Panny 45-200. As a budget option, it is real fine as long as there is enough light. Later, I got the 14-45 for about the same price to fill the gap.

If you just wanted one more lens that covers a lot of distance, I would suggest the 14-140, but it is a little pricy.

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    It is amazing the pictures the 20/1.7 will capture without flash...