1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New to Olympus

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by GaryH, Aug 1, 2015.

1. GaryH

GaryH Mu-43 Rookie

May 1, 2012
    I am trying M43 for the third time. I have long been a Pentax user and have really enjoyed that system and their bodies. Over the last 5 years I have bought M43 systems twice. In past I have bought Panasonic bodies(GX1, G2,GH2,G5) . However, I never really liked shooting with them. They seemed cheaply made compared to my Pentax gear. I have decided to try Olympus EM10 and the 12-40mm pro. My intended use is for travel as I am getting a little weary of carrying my DSLR kit around the world. As I like the build quality of the Olympus kit, I would like to consider a second lens to add to my kit. I am wondering now which lens or lenses I should add to round out a travel kit. My thoughts is to carry no more than 3 lenses on a trip. I have considered the 14-150, 25mm, and 75-300. Should I be looking at other lenses too?

• Like Like x 1
  2. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    If you're a zoom shooter and like the O12-40/2.8, add the O7-14/2.8 and O40-150/2.8 to round out the Olympus PRO zooms lens lineup. You could always add a prime in your favorite focal length.

3. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Deeeeeeeep pockets required for this lot.

4. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Expensive, yes, but no more expensive (and more likely lower in cost) than any other "pro" zooms with "pro" build quality and a constant f2.8 aperture. Quality rarely comes cheap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. GaryH

GaryH Mu-43 Rookie

May 1, 2012
    Nice suggestion. I am still wanting to keep the weight and bulk down somewhat. I do not think that I will need a middle range lens all that often though. We just got back from Italy two weeks ago and my most used and longest lens I used was the 16-85mm. That combo is still over 2.5 lbs. is the cheap 40-150 worth considering for occasional use?

6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have the inexpensive 40 - 150. I don't use that lens often, black bears in the Smokies, eagles in the Driftless Area, etc. It is certainly not a 40 - 150 PRO but it works nicely for occasional use. It is also lightweight and easy to carry when you think that you might use it.

You may want to consider picking up the grip for the E-M10 when you use the 12-40.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yong

Yong Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2014
    Yes, 40-150 is a perfect lens for your need.
    Here are some images from my olympus 40-150. I bought this lens at €140 brand new while I'm on travel, and carried it around Europe over a month. Its weight and size was nothing. I could access very long reach without compromising IQ when I need.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  8. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I endorse the budget 40-150 idea. You will use the impressive 12-40PRO most times, pull out a lightweight good quality tele as required.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    imo 12-40 is nice, but for its price (and bulk) you can get couple smaller zooms and primes that are better fit for EM10: Pany 12-32 is good small lens, also Sigma 60 and Oly 45 can be found used for cheap. Samyang fisheye 7.5 is fun lens too.

.. also there are rumors about new EM10 v2 comming soon, so may be worth to wait for it. I had EM10 for couple months and found it to be little limiting in comparison with EM1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Although I am an avid fan of the Oly pro lenses, I agree that the Panny 12-32 would ergonomically fit better with the diminutive E-M10, and the Oly Pro 40-150 would absolutely dwarf it.

I don't own the regular 40-150 and so can't comment on it. The 75-300 is nice as long as the light is good. It's not as good as the 40-150 Pro, but it is nevertheless highly underrated, and is light and inexpensive for what you get. That said, if you don't use telephoto much, it's unlikely you'll use its full focal length. So, again, I agree with budeny and would look at some prime options. Maybe one of the 60mm's (do you like macro?), or even the 75mm. The small Oly primes like the 45 would work very nicely on the E-M10, but may be too close to your primary zoom to bother with (less of an issue with the Panny).

Fisheye - yes. I bought the Oly and am loving it.

11. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland
    I have an E-M5 and, when traveling, I hardly take the 12-40 pro off the camera. I discovered just how wonderful the lens is by traveling with a rented copy. I quickly added one to my herd. As for the next lens in the kit, I have a particular quirk for long focal lengths but others swear by super wides. Your candidates make me suspect you're a bit more like me in that aspect. Moving to a slower variable zoom with significant focal length overlap doesn't seem to me to make the most sense other than for convenience. Once you become used to them, the IQ and general usefulness of the 12-40 become serious impediments to changing to another lens. My tendency would be to identify a lens candidate, rent it for a trip and see if I bonded with it. That's how I came to purchase both the 12-40 pro and the P100-300 (different trips).

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    Just got back from a 6 week trip with an E-M10, E-PL6, O12-40, O75, O25 & R7.5. What an impressive combo for travel. There is one occasion I wished I had something longer. Some people say the 12-40 is too big or doesn't feel right on the E-M10. I have no problems with it but I do have the grip. This was easily but best travel combo I have tried so far. I would say 90% of my shots were just the 12-40 and 75mm and if I slimmed down thats what I would take. The rest of my shots were split between the O25 and R7.5mm.

When shooting locally I don't tend to use the 12-40 as much and tend to lean to the smaller primes.

13. GaryH

GaryH Mu-43 Rookie

May 1, 2012
    That is kind of what I was thinking . If I travel to a place that I feel like more reach is needed, then I will haul my Pentax 300mm + 1.4x tc along with the K3

14. GaryH

GaryH Mu-43 Rookie

May 1, 2012
    I had the Panasonic 100-300mm at one time. I also had a Bigma in Pentax mount. The Panny was a much sharper lens at the long end. Maybe a x-300mm Olympus or Panasonic lens should be my next purchase. Then fill in with primes. I could actually swing the cheap 40-150 and a xx-300mm.

15. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Gary,
    You are in good company here as there are many folks who have either come over to Olympus or are running both Pentax and Olympus systems. I have also entered the 4/3 format with an E-M10 and for similar reasons to what you have stated. I have both the K-5 and K-5IIs plus an assortment of heavy and expensive lenses. While that is great in a studio environment it is a pain to haul around when hiking etc. I was looking for a smaller package to use on my motorcycle trips that could still produce a reasonably good quality image. (Note that in the DPReview if you compare the K-5II to the E-M10 the JPG image quality is identical and the RAW quality is close.) The E-M10 falls mid way between my Pentax DSLR’s and my Q7’s. But what really sold me on the Oly system was the retro look and feel of these cameras which reminds me of shooting with my Pentax MX or ME Super film cameras.

My E-M10 came with the 14-42 and 40-150mm lenses. The 14-42 produced OK results as can be seen in this downsized JPG image.
    Scottsdale%20McCormick%20Ranch%20Train%20Park%20010-4.

I recently replaced the Oly 14-42 with the Panasonic 14-45mm lens. The Panasonic 14-45 is a good, reasonably priced, better feeling upgrade to the Oly 14-42 and produces sharper images.
    [​IMG]
    Prior to getting my Oly 45mm f1.8 lens I used the Oly 40-150 on one photo assignment and you can judge for yourself by checking out this reduced size image shot in an office environment under existing light in JPG at a focal length around 45-50mm.
    Ellie%20012aVignette.

I have also acquired the Panasonic 20 mm and the Oly 45mm f1.8 which are the only primes I plan on using.

Welcome aboard!

• Like Like x 1
  16. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Incidentally, why did you consider the Panasonic bodies you listed to be cheaply made? I understand the G-series cameras use a lot of plastic, but the GX1 and GH-series are incredibly robust. Also, Olympus has far more reliability problems reported than Panasonic.

17. GaryH

GaryH Mu-43 Rookie

May 1, 2012
    You are right, the GX1 was built better than the others, however it's size with a prime was about the size of a high quality point and shoot. Think Sony RX100. I decided that a PnS like the Sony would suit my needs better if I did not want to carry a camera with a ovf or evf . I now have the RX 100iii and it always goes with me but I do not enjoy shooting with it as well as my Pentax gear. In 2014, I bought a refurb G5 and the newer 14-140 lens and 20mm f1.7 to take on a trip to Japan. I got some nice shots still felt like I could have gotten better with my Pentax stuff. After this last trip,I realized that familiar ergonomics added much to my shooting experience. That is why I have decided to give the Olympus body a try.

18. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I suggest the new 14-150mm 4.0-5.6 II for 2 lens setup, 28-300mm is nice coverage for walk around, you can use this lens all day without change lens, use your 12-40mm pro as prime for spacial occasion night/portrait/landscape.

19. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    My favorite 2 lens kit is the 12-40 and 75. Add the 7.5 for UWA FE three lens kit.

20. GaryH

GaryH Mu-43 Rookie

May 1, 2012
    I have really considered this combo too. I am trying to avoid having so many lenses that it is difficult deciding what to carry. I read that the 40-150 is a little sharper than the 14-150 but I doubt that in general use you can tell the difference without pixel peeping.