New to Mu-43 from UK

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Rangerdave, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Rangerdave

Rangerdave Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 8, 2013
    Evesham, UK
    Hi all,
    Just joined as have recently acquired a used Olympus OMD E-M5 with 12-50mm, 40-150mm and 100-300mm lenses.
    Am a keen amateur and interested in travel and nature. I like to travel light so have been using a Fuji HS10 for the last few years which has been great for getting close-ups of critters and birds in good light, but been lusting after better IQ without the bulk (and cost)
    M4/3 seemed the have the best of both worlds, and the E-M5 won me over!
    Only had it a few weeks, but already know there is no going back! :biggrin:
    Have learned so much already from the "other" camera forums, and hope to do the same here!
    Regards,
    Dave

2. Carl Radford

Carl Radford Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2012
    Its a great place to be and there certainly is lots of help on hand.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome aboard! I used to travel with a Fuji S9100 but it was too bulky, that's when I switched to :43:.:cool:

4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the forum, Dave!

5. harry_s

harry_s Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Welcome, the UK contingent is growing by the day!

6. Rangerdave

Rangerdave Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 8, 2013
    Evesham, UK
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, there is a lot to learn about my new E-M5, and sure I will have questions eventually, for now I'm just enjoying my new cam (weather permitting) and doing a few custom mods to make it more to my liking (I can't help it, I like things to be right and have a practical nature!)
    First off, have received today a new Gariz half case (a birthday gift from my family) very nice but still feel the need for more grip, so tomorrow will add something for my fingers to curl round for a safer hold!
    Am liking the D ring for a gun slinger strap, have used a similar set-up on my HS10 with no problems.
    The covers for the flash shoe and terminal are just waiting to be lost, so might try and make them a one piece unit or see if I can find a XZ-1 replacement, which does fit and is already one piece! I think my viewfinder eyecup is more solidly fixed than others, and seems ok for now!
    Other than that, am loving it! :)

7. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Welcome from another UK'er, Dave. :smile:

Look forward to seeing some pics of your modded E-M5

8. Rangerdave

Rangerdave Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 8, 2013
    Evesham, UK
    Thanks savvy,
    Where in Essex are you? I do quite a bit of work around the South (Southend through to London) for some friends of mine, and try and get down to Rainham marshes or Two Tree Island for a spot of bird watching/photographing whenever I can.
    My 3 lenses are about to be joined by a forth tomorrow, seeing as my family didn't get the chance to have a birthday bash for me this week (as they never know whether I'm going to be in the country or not) they've got me an Oly 45mm instead, how cool is that? :)

9. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Yes, Dave, I'm not too far from Southend, in Hockley.

You're a lucky boy having your family indulge your hobby like that :2thumbs:

10. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Don't worry about the weather your camera is weather sealed. Just dress up warm and make astonishing shots of severe climate.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome to the forum, from across the pond!

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rangerdave

Rangerdave Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 8, 2013
    Evesham, UK
    I sure am, but must confess to dropping a few subtle hints :thumbup:

Just been trying my Raynox 150 macro lens on my 40-150mm and 100-300mm near a dim light, and just couldn't get what I would call a sharp picture.
    I was trying my best to hold as steady as possible, but to no avail, I then tried my cam fitted to a monopod and turned off IBIS....hey presto, sharp images!!

A bit surprising given all the hype about IBIS and the fact that through the EVF it still looked like I had some wobble going on, but nice to start seeing some sharp images from my new camera :biggrin:

13. Rangerdave

Rangerdave Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 8, 2013
    Evesham, UK

Thanks Jim, glad to be here, seems a bit friendlier than the other forum I've been on, or maybe Fuji owners are a different breed :biggrin:

14. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    Welcome Dave, and as to turning the IBIS off they say to turn it off when using a tripod, I would assume that would also be the case for the monopod but not 100% sure. I know I read somewhere on the forum about someone making a detailed explanation of why IBIS makes the picture blurred when used with an tripod. Hope this is of some help to you.

15. Rangerdave

Rangerdave Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 8, 2013
    Evesham, UK
    Hi Woody,
    Yes, I understand about turning it off when on a tripod, and still thought it might help a little on a monopod as I'm not the steadiest even then, but getting better quality pics when turning it off for freehand and monopod seems a bit strange, more testing to do for sure, and don't forget, this was only with the 40-150mm and 100-300mm with Raynox 150 macro fitted so far, and at macro ranges, 200-600mm distance!