New to mirrorless (VA)!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by ohaya, Mar 2, 2016.

1. ohaya

ohaya Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2016

I was film shooter and processor a long time ago, then kind of lost my way. Mind you, I still did a lot of shooting on vacations and such using P&S cameras. Then, more recently, I got interested again and decided that I'd start with a Pentax DSLR (a K-r) because I have a ton of old glass, mostly M42 mounts and a few K-mounts. The thing is that, to me, while I love the K-r, it is HUGE, compared to the film 35s I (still) have, so I then bought a used K-x, which was a lot smaller.

In parallel, I've been curious about mirrorless for awhile, even since we were on a trip to Japan a couple of years ago, and I stopped by one of the LARGE camera shops in Shinjuku, and I saw one (a mirrorless camera) for the first time, and it was TINY! But, I guess I was more familiar with DSLR, so I hadn't tried it.

Anyway, I was on Adorama's website the other day, kind of looking around, and I saw that they had an E-PL2 for a pretty good price. I had no idea whether it was any good or not (and still don't) but I figured that it'd be a cheap way to try out mirrorless. Well, that (the "cheap" part) didn't last long, because I then ended up buying (in this order): a 14-42mm lens (well, I had to have a lens right?), then a VF-4, then today, a 40-150mm m.Zuiko.

Mind you, the E-PL2 has not arrived at my home yet!!

Crazy, huh :)?

The guys over at the Pentax forums have a thing called "LBA" (aka "lens buying addiction"), but I'm hoping to be more efficient by using some of my Pentax lenses on the E-PL2. That should work, right?

Anyway, that's about it for my intro, and looking forward to some good discussions here (once the camera arrives - should be tonight)!!

• Like Like x 2
  2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Welcome Jim! Let us know how you like the camera once it arrives! In the mean time let us know if you have any questions at all.
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It's a slippery slope Jim! Next you'll be wanting some primes, and then a 16Mp body and then maybe some fast zooms and then...
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Oh, no. No lens buying addiction here. You will be all set. No more purchases for you! :laugh1:
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  5. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    Welcome Aboard Jim

be sure to try a view finder camera too ... dabble cheap in the used market if you wish, KEH is a good source of quality used gear without the fuss of eBay.

I hate to be offering booze to an alcoholic or fanning a camera users GAS, but as you get into it you'll find its only better every time.

Here is an ancient comparison I did with my G1 and the Office *IST

in my view ...: G1 vs *ist: noise and focus issues