1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New to Micro four thirds - lens suggestions

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by billinvegas, May 13, 2015.

1. billinvegas

billinvegas Mu-43 Rookie

May 10, 2015
    Hello,

Expecting my OMD E-M1 shortly.

I'm a Nikon FX/DX shooter, trying out M 4/3.

In the Nikon world, the go-to recommendations for zooms are the Nikon 24-70 2.8
    and the 70-200 2.8
    However, I shoot with the Tamron 70-200 2.8, and the Sigma 70-200 2.8.
    nearly the same image quality (unless you seriously pixel peep) for a fraction of the price of the Nikons

I understand the two Pro lenses for Olympus are highly recommended for image quality
    OlympusM. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8
    OlympusM.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm f/2.8

I thought I'd ask here, are there any other competitors to these lenses (in these focal lengths/apertures) from either Olympus, or other manufacturers that I could consider?
    (much like the Nikon vs Tamron/Sigma example above)

I shoot events, conventions, etc...
    the 24-70 is on the camera for the majority of the event
    the 70-200 comes out when there are speakers on stage, or at a podium
    I envision similar scenarios for the M 4/3 setup

thanks!

Bill

2. nublar

nublar Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2013
    SOCAL
    Lumix 12-35, 35-100

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Chazzz

Chazzz Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Washington State
    You can consider the Panasonic Lumix 12-35mm f/2.8 and its sibling, the 35-100mm f/2.8. But also, you might look into a "pancake" prime lens – they're fixed focal length, typically fast, ultra-compact and kind fun to have around. I use the Lumix 20mm f/1.7 II, but others prefer a 14mm, 17mm or 25mm...

I'm also a Nikon FX shooter, but really have loved the µ43 platform since I first got the Panasonic Lumix GF1 back in March 2010. Welcome to the club. I hope you enjoy the kit. Happy shooting!

4. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    There isn't a third-party manufacturer producing lenses of >90% of the quality at 60% of the price in mft. Sigma makes a couple of very good lenses for less, but only two primes. There are some premium offerings, but nothing like the sigma/tamron/tokina metaphor in the Canikon world. Not yet anyway.

Panasonic and Olympus both have premium offerings, but pricing is similar.

5. 808N8

808N8 Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2015
    Hawaii
    As far as matching the use from your Nikon kit, you are pretty much limited to the Olympus f/2.8 zooms (12-40 and 40-150) you mentioned or the Panasonic f/2.8 counter-parts (12-35 and 35-100) also mentioned above. Image quality is pretty much neck-and-neck between the two, and most people seem to go with personal preference or what makes sense for the camera body they are using. The Olympus options gives you a little more flexibility and reach (sacrificing some size). The Panasonic options gives you a little more compact package (sacrificing reach) but throws in OIS. Though shooting an E-M1, you won't really benefit from having the Panasonic OIS, so it probably makes more sense to go with the Olympus lenses. As mentioned, they are priced similarly.

If you're looking for a third lens I'd echo Chazzz's thoughts above, and look into getting a fast prime. The mu43 system has many to choose from varying in price and focal length, and well suited to complimenting a zoom setup that you seem to be going for.

BTW -- welcome to the system and welcome to a great forum and resource!

6. billinvegas

billinvegas Mu-43 Rookie

May 10, 2015
    I also have the 1.8's for Nikon
    50mm 1.8, and the 85mm 1.8
    after the initial expenditure for the zooms (to sort of match the Nikon setup)
    I'll probably be looking to get prime lenses comparable to the 50 and 85

I have some Sigma ART series lenses also, 35mm, 24-105mm
    I really like these lenses on full frame...

Does Sigma's ART series for M 4/3 have the same quality as the ones for full frame cameras?

7. 808N8

808N8 Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2015
    Hawaii
    Based just purely off what I've read and followed, no, the Sigma series for m4/3 is not quite the same quality as the full frame camera series (they are more value-oriented than the full frame series I would say). Someone else can chime in if that isn't the case. That being said, the one standout of the Sigma line-up seems to be the 60mm f2.8 which has gotten rave reviews (and also many great examples of what it can do in these forums). Many have said that the results it produces far exceeds the asking price. Hanging around this forum has definitely made me start to GAS for it :biggrin:

8. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    The Sigma primes are really good for the price on m43, they are just not as fast (aperture wise).

I really, really like the fact that you can shoot the m43 prime lenses at their widest apertures and get phenomenal sharpness.
    I really like the Oly primes, but others really like the Panasonic primes. It is an image rendering preference, to be honest.
    Oly I like the 17/25/45 f/1.8 lenses - Panasonic has their counterparts at 20/25/42.5. There are more, but these are closest to the focal lengths you described in previous post.

I always tell people that m43 lenses are the "good problem to have" lenses. So far, I've only had 2 primes I didn't care for and one zoom that I was "meh" about. That is not bad considering the number of available lenses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. nublar

nublar Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2013
    SOCAL
    And the "equivalents" for those are
    m.zuiko 25mm f1.8
    panleica 25mm f1.4
    m.z 45mm f1.8
    lumix 42.5 1.7
    noctitron 42.5 f1.2

10. physicsdude

physicsdude Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    Jan
    Em1 with a Zuiko 50-200 SWD. bulky and heavy, but there you get 99% of the image quality for 40% price (used). Autofocus is not as fast as with the 40-150 2.8

11. billinvegas

billinvegas Mu-43 Rookie

May 10, 2015
    Any thoughts / comments on
    Olympus Zuiko 12-60mm f/2.8-4.0 Digital ED SWD

It mentions a traditional focus ring, not "focus by wire"
    I'm assuming focus by wire means that it focuses electronically, correct?
    Do the Olympus / Panasonic lenses mentioned above (the 2.8's) focus by wire, or mechanically?
    Right off the bat, I think I would prefer the mechanical...

12. physicsdude

physicsdude Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    Jan
    the Olympus MFT 2.8's have hard stops at close focus and infinity, but still focus by wire, I'd assume. The 50-200 FT has also hard stops and also doesnt adjust focus, if not powered through the camera.

13. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    The Olympus 12-40 and 40-150 Pro lenses have a focus ring that slides up or down the barrel to switch between manual focus and focus by wire. In the manual focus position, the dial shows depth of field markings and has hard stops at the close focus limit and infinity.

The Oly 17mm/1.8 has the same mechanism. I discovered it after I accidentally put the lens in manual focus mode and then wondered why autofocus wasn't working. No problem since then.