1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New to micro four thirds camera,just got a e-pm1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jonh918, Feb 13, 2012.

1. jonh918

jonh918 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2012
    San francisco,ca
    hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and i just picked up a olympus e-pm1 a few days ago..i had a few questions in terms of indoor shots, what would you guys/gals use in manual settings??? Most of my shots so far are in auto mode but i what do dive into the settings..i'm using the kit len 14-42 but looking to add the 14-150.. any help would be nice, sorry if this question was posted earlier...

-jon

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Probably start with a Priority setting before you dive into full manual, if you are not yet used to the settings. Then you can start getting a feel for what the settings should be...

Maybe start with aperture priority so you can control the "look and feel" of your image with DOF, and get a feel for what shutter speeds are required at various apertures. You only have slow lenses, so if you use shutter priority you will probably want to put ISO to Auto. That will allow the camera to bump up the ISO after it reaches maximum aperture in order to achieve the shutter speed you desire.

Oh, and remember to go into Setup => Sprockets => Color/WB => Keep Warm Colors and turn that OFF. As long as you leave that off, then your camera can automatically adjust for indoor lighting and you won't need to resort to the incandescent preset.
    If you don't see the Sprockets menu, then first go to Setup => Wrench => Menu Display and turn the Sprockets ON.

Also, in order to access your shooting options quickly go to Setup => Sprockets => Disp/PC => Control Settings and for every mode turn Live Guide and Live Control to OFF, then turn SCP (Super Control Panel) to ON in every mode.
    When you return to shooting, you will then be able to press OK and get a one-screen quick menu of all your essential shooting options. If another menu pops up (ie, like Remote Commander, Art, or Scene menus) then just press INFO and it'll cycle you back to SCP.

You might also want to unlock your turn dial by going to Setup => Sprockets => Button/Dial => ۞ Lock and set that to OFF.

If you want sharper images, then go to Setup => Sprockets => Color/WB => Noise Filter and set that to OFF.

• Like Like x 5
  3. jonh918

jonh918 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2012
    San francisco,ca
    thanks for quick reply, i'm coming from a point and shoot cams so i'm not up to speed on all the terms...

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    • Like Like x 1
  5. jonh918

jonh918 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2012
    San francisco,ca
  6. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    40-150mm would be a lot cheaper as you already have the 14-42mm range covered. Unless of course you just want one lens to cover the whole range rather than 2 lenses. Primes are nicer for indoor pics though (faster): Panasonic 20mm 1.7 and Olympus 45mm 1.8 get good feedback.

7. jonh918

jonh918 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2012
    San francisco,ca
    thanks for the info

8. jonh918

jonh918 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2012
    San francisco,ca
    thanks for all the info.. didn't know about these settings...:smile:

9. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    • Like Like x 1
  10. tetzumaru

tetzumaru Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2012
    tetzu
    will turn off the noise filter later as soon as I get home, thanks for the tip.

If I unlock the turn dial does that mean I don't have to press UP in aperture mode to quickly adjust aperture/exposure comp.

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Precisely. :)

The dial is actually a two-function dial... just turn it to set the priority function (ie, Aperture in A mode, Shutter in S mode or M mode), then press up on the dial (Exposure Comp icon) to access the secondary function (ie, Exposure Comp in A or S mode, and Aperture in M mode).

12. jonh918

jonh918 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2012
    San francisco,ca
    quick question it maybe a stupid one but do i need a len adapter for the panasonic 20mm 1.7 len on my e-pm1?

13. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    No adapter needed for the 20 and a nice pairing.
    I just got a 17 because I think it focuses a little faster, but the 20 is a great low light lens.

14. jonh918

jonh918 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2012
    San francisco,ca
    Thanks for the heads up... had you taken any macro pictures with your 17??

15. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    Just some test shots.
    I kept the 20 but I like the 17 also and have a couple different bodies I like using it with.

16. jonh918

jonh918 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2012
    San francisco,ca
    i was thinking about picking up the 20 for landscape/port. and macro, also i want to know what you guys think about Panasonic Lumix H-H014 Lens - 14 mm - F/2.5 - Micro Four Thirds ??

17. tetzumaru

tetzumaru Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2012
    tetzu
    it's faster focusing,silent,smaller.

BUT a 1.7 is a 1.7 :D. amen to that.

18. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    C'mon, fess up!

Do you read the manuals? :smile:

I've just been through your suggestions above after being a bit confused by the settings, and they help clear the fog.

Now, the effective playback of images is the next challenge!

Cheers, Robert

19. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Actually, I've never read a camera manual in my life. ;) I just figure it out from using the cameras so much.

First thing I do is go to Setup => Button/Dial => Dial Function => ► and change that to Magnify/Enlarge (the icon with the magnifying glass). That makes the dial work in playback much like the old DSLR standard.

Then I go to Setup => Record/Erase => Quick Erase and set that to the Record Button (the big circle). Since there's no Trash button, this makes erasing a lot easier than the default OK => Delete => Yes sequence.

20. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    Excellent - I had intended to start experimenting with buttons, since I had found the defaults lacking - this saves me a ton of time!

Thanks!