New to Micro 4/3rds....Olympus

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by MarkoPolo, Feb 13, 2014.

1. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    Just wanting to introduce myself. I have been a Canon shooter since 1998 (remember Velvia?) and have been generally happy with the quality of photos I could produce. I have the 7D--and lenses from 11mm to 400mm. But...the weight of the 7D with battery pack and 70-200 f/2.8 with 1/4 TC was really becoming....tiring. And I just don't feel Canon is going to introduce much for APS-C shooters and the 7D is definitely getting long in the tooth. Nice camera, but files are noisy above ISO 400. So, after much internet research, I bought the OMD EM-1 with the 12-40 f/2.8 pro lens. I have the 50-200 SWD in transit from a forum member here (stuck in the midwest blizzard..should have gotten here today...don't know when it will arrive). I did buy the Bower EOS to m4/3 converter with aperture control and have been really impressed with using the Canon 400f/5.6 L with teleconverters on the EM-1. The EM-1 really impresses me. It is a much more "pro" body than the 7D, really the best body I have used. So much so that I sold my 70-200 f/2.8 L II to finance my OLY purchase. And I anticipate moving all the way to Olympus as time and sales of Canon gear allow. The Canon 70-200 taught me that there is no substitute for good glass. I am really looking forward to filling out my kit with the new m4/3 pro lenses as they become available. So for now, I will be eagerly learning all I can from the forum and I hope to contribute as I gain experience. I need to find image posting guidelines so I can share some shots. Just tonight I got (to me) amazing hand held shots of the moon with the Canon 400 f/5.6L with the 2X III teleconverter. In Lightroom, I can't tell the handheld shot from the tripod mounted one. I am really anxious to get 50-200 with the 1.4TC and mmf-3 and start shooting wildlife. I hope the auto-focus works well enough for the shooting I do. I know I need to figure out the EM-1 settings for best moving subject results. So, hello to all from Greeley, Colorado.
    Mark

• Like Like x 1
  2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Welcome to m4/3, and also to the forum! I have been using my E-M1 extensively with the 50-200 SWD. I must say the 12-40/2.8 + 50-200 SWD is one heck of a combo for the E-M1. With the EC-14 teleconverter, this combo covers the whole FF equivalent range of 24 to 560mm, which basically covers all my photographic needs...

Add one of the fast primes to your system for low-light situations and you're pretty much set... Happy shooting, and do share lots of photos with us!

3. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Welcome Mark! I too am one of the 7D-feated, I know how your shoulders and legs and mind feels. :smile: Your liberation will be more noticeable as you transition to native ยต4/3 lenses. If you are into good glass, make a note to sample the Oly 75 and Leica 25 natives. I'm glad I did.

cheers

4. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    Thanks for the welcomes. It is always a project to configure the right kit for your photography. Other than Canon macro and telephoto lenses, I have never used primes. I know the quality is great, but I really don't like being so limited as compared to a zoom. And zoom lenses can have great quality. I don't miss the weight and size (or cost!) of my Canon 70-200 f/2.8L II, but the image quality was beyond reproach. I hope I can get similar quality with the Pro series as they become available. Of course, I have a lot to learn and I might just fall in love with the 75 or 25 if I have a chance to use them.:smile:

5. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome aboard, Mark!

Regards,

Jim

6. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Welcome! And please post some shots with that tele-combo! Sounds insane, and sharp handheld? I dig the ibis on the em1!