New to Micro 4/3rds....Olympus

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by MarkoPolo, Feb 13, 2014.

1. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    Just wanting to introduce myself. I have been a Canon shooter since 1998 (remember Velvia?) and have been generally happy with the quality of photos I could produce. I have the 7D--and lenses from 11mm to 400mm. But...the weight of the 7D with battery pack and 70-200 f/2.8 with 1/4 TC was really becoming....tiring. And I just don't feel Canon is going to introduce much for APS-C shooters and the 7D is definitely getting long in the tooth. Nice camera, but files are noisy above ISO 400. So, after much internet research, I bought the OMD EM-1 with the 12-40 f/2.8 pro lens. I have the 50-200 SWD in transit from a forum member here (stuck in the midwest blizzard..should have gotten here today...don't know when it will arrive). I did buy the Bower EOS to m4/3 converter with aperture control and have been really impressed with using the Canon 400f/5.6 L with teleconverters on the EM-1. The EM-1 really impresses me. It is a much more "pro" body than the 7D, really the best body I have used. So much so that I sold my 70-200 f/2.8 L II to finance my OLY purchase. And I anticipate moving all the way to Olympus as time and sales of Canon gear allow. The Canon 70-200 taught me that there is no substitute for good glass. I am really looking forward to filling out my kit with the new m4/3 pro lenses as they become available. So for now, I will be eagerly learning all I can from the forum and I hope to contribute as I gain experience. I need to find image posting guidelines so I can share some shots. Just tonight I got (to me) amazing hand held shots of the moon with the Canon 400 f/5.6L with the 2X III teleconverter. In Lightroom, I can't tell the handheld shot from the tripod mounted one. I am really anxious to get 50-200 with the 1.4TC and mmf-3 and start shooting wildlife. I hope the auto-focus works well enough for the shooting I do. I know I need to figure out the EM-1 settings for best moving subject results. So, hello to all from Greeley, Colorado.
    Mark

• Like Like x 1
  2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Welcome to m4/3, and also to the forum! I have been using my E-M1 extensively with the 50-200 SWD. I must say the 12-40/2.8 + 50-200 SWD is one heck of a combo for the E-M1. With the EC-14 teleconverter, this combo covers the whole FF equivalent range of 24 to 560mm, which basically covers all my photographic needs...

Add one of the fast primes to your system for low-light situations and you're pretty much set... Happy shooting, and do share lots of photos with us!

3. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Welcome Mark! I too am one of the 7D-feated, I know how your shoulders and legs and mind feels. :smile: Your liberation will be more noticeable as you transition to native µ4/3 lenses. If you are into good glass, make a note to sample the Oly 75 and Leica 25 natives. I'm glad I did.

cheers

4. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    Thanks for the welcomes. It is always a project to configure the right kit for your photography. Other than Canon macro and telephoto lenses, I have never used primes. I know the quality is great, but I really don't like being so limited as compared to a zoom. And zoom lenses can have great quality. I don't miss the weight and size (or cost!) of my Canon 70-200 f/2.8L II, but the image quality was beyond reproach. I hope I can get similar quality with the Pro series as they become available. Of course, I have a lot to learn and I might just fall in love with the 75 or 25 if I have a chance to use them.:smile:

5. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome aboard, Mark!

Regards,

Jim

6. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Welcome! And please post some shots with that tele-combo! Sounds insane, and sharp handheld? I dig the ibis on the em1!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.