New To Micro 4:3 World

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by UkrainianOne, Jul 29, 2011.

1. UkrainianOne

UkrainianOne Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    :frown:Hello My name is Gennady, i recently purchased a G1, it didnt buy it on a impulse and a did a brief research on it online and though it was great specially after it was recommended by someone i knew. I one of the main reasons i bought this camera is becuase of the reasonable price of it, that being said:

I only bought the body of it. I kind of knew that the Name brand lenses would cost alot of money ( for my budget ) but also was aware that this camera accepts almost every lens with the right adapter. So this is where i am now.

I bought a 35mm lens with a c-mount adpater ( btw i have no clue about any mounts or adapters ) and it is in the mail. After browsing ebay for three days, i came to the conclusion that if i didnt know what lenses and adapters i was looking for, that i was doomed to pay hundreds of dollars for a name brand panasonic lens. I also scanned amazon and while they have many lens options, i have no way of telling ( do to my lack of knowlegde ) which adapter they need in order to mount them on my nice shiny black G1 :rolleyes:

So here i am, asking for help from you guys/gals! I figured since i will have the "c-mount" that i should go with "c-mount lenses?" and although there are a lot of them around online the better ones cost as much if not more than name brand lenses. So what im asking for really is some general knowledge about how to find which adapter to which lens fits my camera, and where to get a decently priced lens for a begginer that i can use for daily landscape picture taking.

Thank you very much
    - Gennady!

• Like Like x 1
  2. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    The wonderful thing is that adapters are fairly cheep. You can choose a lens and if it's a different mount it will cost you 10-20usd dollars on ebay. Welcome to the forum, there is alot of smart people on here to answer all kinds of questions.:biggrin:

:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    • Like Like x 1
  4. UkrainianOne

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    Thanks Guys :smile: like i said i really dont know much except that the camera itself is great, my goal really is to one day look at a lens and know exactly what adapter it needs so i could start taking awsome pictures like the rest of ya :2thumbs:

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Welcome to the Forums!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    (posts above made while I was writing this one)

Hi,
    Welcome to M43.
    The adaptor you need for any lens is one that is the mounting system of the lens to micro four thirds.
    For instance if the lens had a Canon FD mount you would need a Canon FD to m43 adaptor.

There are lots of different lens mount systems, and a great many lenses. Look for something in your budget and read reviews and look at example shots - you'll find those things for most lenses.

As I understand it c mount lenses are designed for movie type cameras so may not be the obvious starting point but you can use them on m43 cameras and people do.

Be aware if you are using these types of adaptors you will have to manually focus.
    Also be aware that the G1 doesn't have in body stabilisation, so if your lens does not have built in stabilisation then you will have no stabilisation. And cheaper and older lenses are not going to have stabilisation.

• Like Like x 1
  7. UkrainianOne

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    Ok, but what if the lens doesnt have a manual focus ring and its "fixed" as its called i think, for instance the 35mm lens i ordered has no focus or zoom, just the dial to change the amount of light to go in, and from what i understand the camera body itself doesnt have a manual zoom feature, so in this isntance what should be done?

8. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    A lens without zoom (fixed focal length - not to be confused with what the focus ring does) is usually called a prime lens. Not a problem.
    Are you sure there is no way to manually focus the lens - does it have some unusual push/pull mechanism or something? Focus rings can sometimes not be easily visibly in pictures, they can often look like part of the lens body.
    If the lens can only be focused electronically from what it is meant to be attached to then I think you do have a problem.

Manual focusing means disabling the camera auto focus and using the physical focus ring on the lens to focus.
    The camera has to be able to electronically communicate with the lens to auto focus (the camera automatically adjusts the lens until the image is in focus) and this is only possible with either 'native' lenses (lenses made for m43), or four thirds lenses (predecessor to micro four thirds) with a special adaptor that allows communication - but then you are looking at expense as much as a native lens if you don't already have a four thirds lens.

The thing that adjusts the amount of light coming in does so by making the hole that allows the light into the lens smaller or bigger. This is called aperture.

If you do end up going for a native lens make sure it's a m43 lens, and not a four thirds equivalent.
    You can use Olympus - m.Zuiko m43 lenses directly on your G1, and you will be able to auto focus, but you won't have stabilisation with them.

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Any video lens would have to have a manual focus ring. Most video cameras don't even have Auto Focus.

C-mount is for cine lenses. These will all be movie lenses. Some though may not be made to the high optical quality needed for stills, if they were made for low-grade TV broadcast. There are good movie lenses though, especially High Def ones, which will have plenty of resolution. You just got to pick and choose, maybe ask on this forum in the Adapted Lenses section, which ones are best. One thing you will find about C-mount lenses, is there are a lot of ultra fast lenses (bright, wide aperture) for very cheap (much cheaper than buying a Voigtlander Nokton f/0.95 or worse yet a Leica Noctilux f/0.95).

• Like Like x 1
  10. UkrainianOne

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    Ned, thank you very much for the info, this is kind of what i was interested about, this is what i bought so far since im on a low budget:

Amazon.com: RainbowImaging 35MM F1.7 TV Lens + Lens Adapter for Sony NEX-3 NEX-5 NEX-VG10 camera: Camera & Photo

: i would be interested in lenses that fit the c-mount as i now will have it, and i am more interested in taking stills rather than video, but i watched a few youtube videos taked with a 35mm lens such as the one above and it looks neat. what i am really looking for is lenses i can afford for 50 bucks and under for now and i am willing to buy adapters as well, i am a begginer, so i dont want to spend big money yet... I understand the concept of the body having those electrical conection which mount to compatable auto focus lenses and adapters and make the huge 55mm-300mm lens spin and focus like the wheel of fortune, however the whole deal of why i bought this camera is becuase i was under the impression that i could use old/good lenses on this camera and not have to spend the hundreds for fancy lenses, so i could take great old school pics with a new school camera. :jedi:

11. UkrainianOne

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Hmmm.. this is a weird listing. It doesn't say anything about the make of the lens, and it shows a C-NEX adapter for the Sony NEX, but says in the description that "User can also use it on MFT M4/3 camera". I don't understand how a NEX adapter could be used with a Micro Four-Thirds mount...

This is the one you should be getting, with the C-m4/3 adapter (from the same seller)...
    Amazon.com: RainbowImaging 25MM F1.4 TV Movie Lens + Lens Adapter for MFT M4/3 camera, fits Panasonic G1 G2 G10 GF1 GF2 GH2 GH1 GH2, Olympus E-P1 E-P2 E-PL1 E-PL2: Electronics

I do have an adapter manufactured by Fotasy, and sold by Rainbow Imaging (mine is a Leica M39 to m4/3 adapter). Rainbow Imaging is a reputable U.S. Amazon/eBay seller, but I hadn't heard of this manufacturer (Fotasy) making actual lenses. Who knows... If I were looking for C-mount cine lenses, I would be more interested in known makes like Fujinon, Mamiya, Schneider, Zeiss, Pentax, Canon, etc. There are lots of really old glass which are very good performers (keeping in mind that TV lenses are generally lower resolving than photo lenses and are mostly sharp in the middle), and will come even cheaper than new glass from no-name manufacturers.

Here is a list of 310 cine lenses which might help you find some better known glass: US List of 310 c mount lens,

Here is a CNet article on Cine lenses being used on Micro Four-Thirds, which you may find interesting: C-mount lenses revived by Micro Four Thirds - Cameras - CNET Asia

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Looking at the link you sent, the lens has a focus ring nearer the front, and an aperture ring nearer the back of the lens. The markings for the front ring is distance, ending with infinity, and the markings on the back ring is f-stop.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    To reiterate Ned, yes the two knobbly bands on the lens do appear to be the aperture and focus rings. Those knobbly bits rotate around.
    And like Ned I don't know how an adaptor for NEX cameras would also work to fit this lens to m43 cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  15. UkrainianOne

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    Me niether but in the specifications it did say somewhere that it would, only time would tell, and if in fact the c-mount doesnt fit my camera then thats ok i guess but not for the price of 35.99 lol ... i was thinking that if it doesnt fit then i would get a better c-mount made out of metal instead of the plastic it looks it comes with

16. UkrainianOne

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York