1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

new to micro 4/3 and have a g3 lens ?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dave, Feb 1, 2012.

1. dave

dave Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2012
    ok so i have what may be a silly question but i have been researching and can't find the difinitive answer i am looking for. I have a G3 for my main :43: camera and i love to do wildlife photography especially birds act. my question is i have the 45-200mm lens now and want more range, would i be better off getting the converter and using my bigma 150-500mm lens off my nikon and using manual focus or buying the panasonic 100-300mm and having the auto focus. My concern is that without the autofocus i won't get the bird in flight photos over water ect. the 150-500mm will give me the equivalent of 1000mm but that does me no good if i can't get the shots I'm looking for. So i come to the masters of :43: for my answers.:big grin: If anyone is using either of these lens's id love to see some shots like i mentioned if you have them. Thanks in advance guys.

2. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    That's a pretty substantial price difference... Remember, you're not getting the equivalent of 300-1000 (reach-wise), objects will be the same size through any camera, you'll just see less of the frame with a smaller sensor (like m4/3).

Honestly, I'd probably recommend using the Nikon body with the 150-500 (unless you're unhappy with it) and using the G3 for things it's better at (walkaround camera). For a big honking lens like that (also assuming you're on a tripod/monopod), the difference in the size/weight of the body is fairly inconsequential. If you gave up the Nikon body for some reason, I'd first get the adapter (since that'd be useful for your other Nikon glass). If the lack of AF bothers you, rent the 100-300 from somewhere like borrowlenses.com and try it out. Then decide which is better.

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    At 1000mm eq, you'd pretty much have to use a tripod. Even 500mm is pretty hard to handhold, and you'll have no IS at all. I'm not into birding, but I don't think you'd capture many BIF with that combination. And I think focusing will be tough, especially on moving subjects.

I think you'll be better off with the 100-300. That's a 600mm eq, and that's a LONG lens. How many 600mm lenses do you see for FF cameras?

But BIF isn't really the strength of m43 right now, I don't think. Continuous AF, although improving with each new generation, isn't up to the level of most DSLRs, yet. That's not to say it can't work, but I think it'll be harder, and the success rate will be lower.

4. dave

dave Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2012
    Thanks for the fast responses im really looking to get rid of the nikon gear with exception of posibly a few lens. Thats mainly why im trying to decide what i can get for zoom with my g3. Im no pro and my photos are just for me as a hobby but i do want quality. I have very nice tripods i just dont want to lug around 40 lbs of gear anymore for something im "having fun " doing lol.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Is your Nikon a Full Frame or APS-C? If it's Full Frame, then the Lumix 100-300mm f/4-5.6 should give you even better performance and reach than the Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 on your Nikon but it'll be a lot faster, a lot lighter, and offering greater DOF. Everything you want for birding! So why not just go for that?

Yes, the Sigma 150-500mm will give you extreme reach on your G3, but the Lumix 100-300mm will give you something that you already know and better (except for tracking focus... expect better performance with S-AF using the Lumix system, and not so good C-AF).

6. dave

dave Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2012
    My nikon is a d90 so it has a crop. Im not worried about losing a little bit or reach, looking more at useability. If there isnt going to be a big difference ill be glad to sell the $1000 lens and buy a $500 lens lol, really want the opinion of experienced users so thank you very much for your responces its much apriciated. Really leaning twards the 100-300 now

7. dave

dave Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2012
    One other thing i forgot to mention is that i do have an sb600 and flash extender that would look a little funny on a G3 but it throws the flash out there quite a ways. This could help the low light situation IE birds in trees ect. Whats the opinion on this ?

8. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Oh, ok - if it's size and weight that's the real concern, the 100-300 is absolutely your best option. It's ridiculously small and light for what it does. I rented it once, and the image quality is really nice, it just handled horribly on my GF1 (handheld, walking around with it) so I ended up not enjoying the experience. Probably be just fine on your G3 on a tripod or monopod and looking through the eyepiece (which I also don't have for my GF1). Can't stress enough that you're going to have to get closer to your subject and be more accurate in tracking it than you did with the D90 and the 15-500, but having 10lbs lighter gear means you can employ your ninja mobility better ;)

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Does it really matter how it looks? I don't think the birds will laugh when they see it, lol.

If you want a little better handling with flash, get a flash bracket. You'll be using manual power anyways, so a flash bracket with PC-sync cable to hotshoe adapter will work perfect for your SB600. Like so...
    zuiko_50-200mm_swd_web.
    (Zuiko 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD and Olympus FL-36R flash on an E-P1 Digital PEN)

10. dave

dave Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2012
    Lol, yea i realize there will be some sacrafices losing my d90 but i really dont enjoy using it anymore, feels like work hauling a ton of gear out in the woods or lakeside. Hense the micro 4/3 setup, havent got to use it much but what i have i love it and it makes photography fun again. Thanks again guys, ive been on other sites before but this is by far the best and most helpful.

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I now have 3 PEN bodies, mostly using the same glass and lights as with my DSLRs. I've never been happier with my camera equipment in my life.

12. dave

dave Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2012
    Lol no i dont think theyll laugh eigther and of they do who cares ill have a great shot lol. Good idea on the bracket i was thinkin about that as well. Thanks!

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I've been trying to capture that perfect "laughing bird" photo for 10 years! This just may be the trick... lol. :rofl: