1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New to MFT, Just few questions.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DennisH, Apr 27, 2016.

1. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis
    Hey everyone just joined the group and new to this world of MFT.

Anyway Im into all sorts of photography but mainly into wildlife and scenic landscape.

I bought a E-M10 Mark II a month ago with the EZ Kit Lens and on a whim bought 2 ebay items that I just thought could take care of everything I might need as far as lenses.

Im just wonder you all think about how Im going about this for my type of photography Im interested in.

I bought the Oly 14-150mm II and also the Oly 75-300mm II lenses with the idea I wont use the EZ kit lens unless I need a compact setup.

What do you all think about this? or should i be concentrating on short and long primes?

Thanks

P.S. How do I fix my pixel peeping problem? I seem to always find a reason not to like a camera on image quality. Ive bought about 4 cameras over the past 4 months and returned them with various lenses, I think this E-M10 MII is the only one I stuck with because the retro form factor made me enjoy using it which made me not PP the IQ as much, which I never felt with Canon G5X, Sony A5200, A6000, Fuji X100T. Maybe I should make this question a separate post?

2. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    Welcome :)
    If you don't mind the (relatively) large size of the 14-150 it should serve you well - though as a pixel peeper you may find fault more easily with that lens than a small bag of primes. I'm using a tiny ePM2 so small lenses are my best option. Keep having fun before you look hard for image 'flaws', every system has them if you look in the right/wrong places for them.. and your settings aren't tuned just right for your preferences.

3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium

My advice ....forget about pixel peeping and especially forget about IQ... its a meaningless phrase.... work out how to compose and expose an image well, then worry about all the other stuff later.

The gear is really not that important until you know how to create an image.

Just my opinion...

K

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    May I suggest that you do a search of this forum for your type of photography as topics very similar to what you are asking have been discussed before.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    Welcome to M4/3, Dennis.

Your thinking pretty much mirrors mine as a primarily outdoor photographer. Your M-10 II, 14-150, and 75-100 will serve you well for everything from bugs to bears. I especially like the 14-150 and it is always on one of my Oly bodies when in the boonies. I carry a second body with my Panasonic 100-400 to avoid lens changing.

You might want to think about adding a fast prime for low light street or indoor use. You should be able to find one used in your desired focal length for a good price. I have an Oly 25, 1.8 for the street and museums; and the oft underrated Panny 14, 2.5 for indoor gatherings.

6. kwido

kwido New to Mu-43

Mar 28, 2016
    yeah , you are right .
    BTW , your photos are very good . I like them , especially BW..

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    The 75-300 is quite a specialized lens in my experience. Is hard to use it for general photography, ideal for sport/wildlife and the like. It's definitely not an alternative to the pancake.
    The 14-150 is often called a "travel lens" something that can do about anything, reasonably well, with no need to swap lenses. For landscapes many prefer wider lenses like the 9-18 or even the Samyang 7.5 fisheye, but I think it's better to use what you have until you start to get a strong feeling of what you need next like: "oh no, this lens is not wide enough or too slow, again!". Do not buy anything until then.
    Getting the external grip could be a good idea if you find tiring to use the long lenses.

About IQ: first be sure to get the best out of your current gear first. Setting "noise filter" to low or off could give you something you may prefer. Here are a few tips:

Robin Wong: The Robin Wong's OM-D Camera Cheat Sheet

Make sure to use, when possible, an optimal aperture for your lens, reasonable shutter speed for the subject/focal length, ISO as low as possible, correct shooting technique, correct exposure, etc. Learn to do post processing and maybe shoot RAW. But often these things distract you from what matters most, so learn it and try to forget it.
    Then think about how you are going to use your pictures: on a computer screen, on small/medium prints, on a smartphone(!) they won't benefit much from the ultimate sharpness. Then lens sharpness is just a piece of the puzzle: shoot the same subject from another angle and you'll get 10 times more "sharpness" (texture details) than you could get with any lens. Other aspects, like the characteristics of the out of focus areas, may contribute to a picture more then the plain resolution. Have a look at the showcase threads here.

Are your favorite shots the one you took with your best gear?

For me the more I shoot the more the GAS goes away or it makes much clearer what I need.

8. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    I would get at least one prime, I couldn't imagine shooting with only zooms, but I tend to shoot indoors a lot cause of my kids, maybe you can get away shooting outdoors only. But indoors being able to shoot at 1.8 and keep ISO somewhat low is important.

9. Tenpenny

Tenpenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    Nampa, Idaho
    Brent Watkins
    For me, the cure to the pixel peeping was to print my photos. I work around a bunch of printers and various papers so it's obscenely easy for me to do. I understand that it is not a trivial cost to print any and every photo that you wish but, it's something that may help put to bed any pixel peeping issues, if you can swing it.

Of course, printing all my photos, also helps me to look at the image in entirety. gaawwwd, my composition stinks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Welcome. Have fun shooting!

I traded in my two kit zooms for the 14-150 II. It is my standard for hiking, and whenever I don't want to be lens changing. Taking the MCON along gives me a decent pseudo-macro and range form 14-150mm.

In addition I have the Panny 14mm and Oly 75mm. Both from suggestions here on the forum (thanks guys!) and bought here. The 14 is for a compact kit with okay speed, the 75 is for bokeh and exquisite rendering. I am finding I haven't quite got a hang of the 14, but I will keep trying.

Otherwise I have gone legacy glass for my primes and interesting rendering. The legacy glass is just plain fun to shoot.

My suggestion would be a fast prime somewhere from the 14mm to 30mm. That would pair well as a more compact alternative to the 14-150 and give much needed speed. Or look at something legacy in the 28-35mm range if you don't mind focusing yourself.

11. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    This is also my recommendation for curing pixel peeping.

12. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I do something similar but much less costly over the long term. I project all of my images on a 50" 4K TV. After having a client do this in his office with several images I shot of property he was considering developing I was sold. The prices of these TV's has come down substantially and mine cost me $375. I recently did shoots for two young ladies who aspire to become models and after the shoots we sat and critiqued all the images on this TV then decided which we would refine and use. It's also great for watching HD TV. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    How exactly do you do that with 4K? Using an HDMI cable from a laptop? Or do you plug an SD card into the TV? Or a USB stick into the TV?
    That seems impossibly cheap for a 50" 4K TV!

14. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    For simplicity sake I transfer the JPEG images to a USB flash drive which plugs into the TV set. Most TV's made in the past five or so years have a USB port on the back. On some early flat screen TV's there is a USB port but it is only a service port which technicians use for diagnosing problems with the TV.

As far as cheap. YEP!! It is which is why it took me about 30 seconds of thought before I grabbed one, (it is a Vizio 50" class M) dragged it to the check out counter and paid for it. I purchased it at Walmart while I was waiting for my lady to get some cosmetics. I think it is a 2015 model and they might have been selling them out before restocking with 2016 models but they also had other 48 and 50" models from other manufactures for similar prices. I recall seeing one 48" TV with a price of $328 or some such but I did not pay it much attention. Several friends have Vizio TV's and the picture on them always looks good to me so I went in that direction.

Another great feature of these newer TV's is that it has WIFi capability and connects via that mode to my home WIFI connection. It has a direct link to YouTube so I spend more time watching Youtube hosted photography related tutorials. Great to watch some of the presentations done by Gavin Hoey for Adorama and a few others in such a large format. Better than watching broadcast network programming. It has gotten addictive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Thanks Denny. I'll know better what to look for when I replace my 42" Panasonic that cost about $1500.
    Does it have some sort of on-screen keyboard for keying in the URLs for YouTube?

(I have a poor internet service at the moment, about 1Mb, so couldn't watch videos, but in a month or so I'm getting fiber to the house which will give me 100Mb (or 1000Mb if I want to pay a bit more.))

16. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Yes, there is a keyboard on the back of the controller and it is very easy to use especially for me who tends to fat finger small keys. Google Vizio TV Controller XRT500 to see images of the controller. I read somewhere that your internet connection needs to be at least 5mb with a preferred connection of 10 for the TV internet connections to work well. I have a tested connection speed between 50 and 65 through my cable modem and in house WIFI so it works quite well.

Yes, the flat screens have really come down in price. My Vizio replaced a much heavier 42" Philips Plasma screen that had gone bad a while ago and I could not get parts to fix it. That Philips plasma had a retail price of around $1200 ten years ago when I purchased it though I got it for about half that cost because it was an open box item returned to the store after the buyer had apparently had used it for watching the Superbowl. At least that is what the sales person had suspected.

17. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Thanks again, that is very helpful. That little keyboard looks exactly what one needs.

18. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis
    Thanks everyone for your input and comments, I seem to be jumping in full force into m4/3 system the last several times I've gone out and used the m10 m2 I've greatly enjoyed it. I got a deal on a used in new condition E-PL7 body from a friend for $250 and now will be also carrying that around with the EZ Kits Lens for now. I hope to have fun with that one also, I hope to put a Oly 12mm prime on it and just leave it there permanently for wide angle shots and leave the m10 m2 with the 17-150mm.

Does anyone carry the e-pl cameras around as a compliment to the o-md line? I heard some carry a couple bodies around so they don't have to change lenses, if so how does that work out for you all?

Cheers

19. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    If I'm out for wildlife, I'll usually carry either a second O-MD body with a wide lens, or the PL7 with the 12-32 in addition to my Panasonic 100-400 with another O-MD attached. The PL7 is great since it just hangs unnoticed on my shoulder until I'm ready to shoot and a single move brings it up and turned on for a one-handed candid shot.