1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New to mFT, I have a kit lense question.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by cdecurtis, Sep 24, 2012.

1. cdecurtis

cdecurtis Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2012
    Marietta, Georgia, USA
    Charles
    I am FT user and will begin moving to mFT with a purchase of the OM-D this week (I have been having a hard time pulling the trigger the last few weeks not knowing what lense to purchase with the body). I have legacy FT glass that I will use with an adapter. So, that said, would you choose the Pany 20 or the Oly 12-50? I have limited funds at the moment (having kids in college will do that) and want to leverage what I have to maximize image quality. Most of my field work requires vg to exc resolution and I take a large number of landscape/environmental shots.

My concerns are that the 12-50 is soft only because I make 16x20 prints. Can this perceived "softness" be corrected in post processing? The 20 seems limited in flexibility (obviously, since it is a prime).

I will use my 50/2 and the 50-200 with a converter. My 7-14 took a fall and will require more money than I currently want to spend for repairs.

2. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    The 20mm is one of the best performing lenses for any system.

The 12-50 is just another kit zoom. It doesn't offer too much optical quality, but it does have some nice features:
    • extremely fast autofocus speed
    • water/dust resistant
    • very good macro
    • very wide 24mm equiv. FOV

I'm not a landscape/env. shooter. But many land/env photographers seem to prefer wide angle lenses. In this case, the 14mm might be better for you by offering excellent resolution, easily corrected distortion, extremely quick AF, and a reasonably wide angle, all at about $150 used.

3. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I am a landscape shooter who rarely shoots wide. I wouldn't want to make prints that size with a kit lense unless there is little detail in the image. Just do the DPI calculations. As for correcting softness in post - think of lipstick and pigs.

If I could only have one lense, I would probably choose the Pany 25.

4. cdecurtis

cdecurtis Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2012
    Marietta, Georgia, USA
    Charles
    Thank you

Jeff, your site has some beautiful photographs on your personal site. Were all of those taken with your Hasselblad or do you also use mFT format?

5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
  6. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Thanks, the vast majority of images on my site are from either Hasselblad film or digital gear. I am a newcomer to MFT. Once I get over the learning curve, I will post MFT shots on my site.

7. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    I think the 12-50 is actually pretty good. It's not going to match the Oly 12/2 or 45/1.8, but its really not bad. In fact it held up very well against the NEX-7 and Zeiss 24 when I tested them against each other.