New to MFT (GX1 owner)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by eljay, Jul 14, 2013.

1. eljay

eljay Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    This is my first venture into MFT. I'm coming from a Sony A200 kit. I was going to buy a couple of fast lenses for my A200 and then buy A65, but started to read about m43 and here I am! :D
    I'm at a hobbyist level, hoping to progress higher with my MFT upgrade.
    I bought an Olympus E-P1 with 20mm F.17 lens last week and also a GX1 with 14-42 PZ lens. The GX1 kit is still in the mail and should get here this week, but I have a couple of questions on building up my GX1 kit.

Not sure how quickly, but I will surely be selling my Sony kit and I'm wondering if I can use a couple of pieces from it on the GX1.
    Is it possible to adapt a Sony HVL-42AM flash to be used as TTL on GX1?

I also have a Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 lens. Would it be worthwhile to get an adapter and use this lens or am I better off just selling it and getting native m43 tele-zoom?

I will be selling the EP1 and hopefully that will allow me to fund LVF2.

OK, now I gotta go read the Accessories forum as I'll need a case for the GX1 and I'm not decided whether I want a pouch or a fitted case. Since I have the 20mm and PZ lens, I'm thinking of getting a nice leather case for maximum portability and perhaps a carrying case later once I have more m43 stuff to lug around.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
  2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    The Sony lens cannot communicate with the GX1 so you will not have any aperture control.
  3. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    If I were you, I would sell the Sony lenses. Lens adapters IMO work well with manual lenses.
  4. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    For the most part, the attraction to adapted glass has passed for me. Save up a bit and buy some good native glass is what I think would serve you well in the long term.

Still, you can do great things with adapted glass.

I have a GX1, G5, GH1 and G1... pretty much one of all generations of sensors except the newest GH3. The GX1 is a great camera I'm not afraid to shoot and when I need small and more capable than my LX7 it's what I reach for. I'm taking my 10 year old grandson on an "adventure" into Philadelphia to visit the art museum (he's an artist) and we'll be taking trains, trolleys, and so forth. I'll take the GX1 for that trip. He'll be shooting my old E-P1.

Welcome -- a lot of good information here, but also a lot of misinformation so proceed carefully on proffered advice. Even when someone is accurate, it doesn't mean their way will work best for you. Take time to learn what your photography "is" and what it needs and move slowly. It's easy to --as I and others have -- spend a lot of money futilely.

I do agree though that the Sony electronic lenses are not a good match. If you really want to shoot adapted manual focus glass you can buy a boatload of it once you sell the Sony's, lol.

Forget the flash. It will not work in any way. Panasonic and Sony flashes are interchangeable, but for the most part manufacturers use proprietary communications for their TTL interface to the flash. It's a shame there's not a universal standard -- but there simply ain't.

Here's some of the stuff I did with the GX1. A couple are in there because I mention the GX1, but most are with it. A few hybrid video shorts as well. Like I said, great little camera for almost no money.
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    If you want to make the most out of the Micro 4/3 system, then use the equipment that was designed specifically for the system. There are many ways to adapt other equipment such as lenses to Micro 4/3, but there is almost a compromise involved in it, be it size, weight, or functionality.
  6. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    I'd recommend selling your Sony gear and buying all MFT lenses. If you had some old manual focus lenses from before the 90s they would be worth getting an adapter for just to play with, but with any sort of autofocus lens you are best off selling.

Look for a Panasonic telephoto in your price range. The 45-200 will give a range close to what you are used to with the Sony. The 45-150 and 45-175 are better lenses, but with less range. If you really like telephoto you can do what I did and get the 100-300 to pair with the 45-150.

For anything sorter than 50mm, you should be OK with any brand -- Olympus, Panasonic, Sigma. For greater than 50mm lenses either stick with Panasonic or be prepared to use a tripod.
  7. eljay

eljay Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Thank you very much for all the replies!
    I'll start with the 20mm and the short PZ lenses and go from there. On my Sony, I used the flash indoors to get the most from the standard kit lens (18-70mm) when shooting social scenes. I know the GX1 flash is not powerful, but the fact that it can be bounced may just let me get away without needing an external flash.

Gotta learn this camera first. If anyone could point me to a good setup guide that addresses any common quirks of this camera, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you.
  8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Welcome to the forum! Take your time, read up on your camera, then get some new lenses. :cool:
  9. eljay

eljay Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Thank you. I see all these lens deals and despite sticking with my A200 since it was launched, I now begin to understand this GAS thingy that's mentioned so much on these photo forums. :eek:

Yes, I think I need to stop looking at the various deals, because I was essentially going to upgrade my Sony lenses to faster ones and now I'm in danger of simply replacing the Sony kit with the same m43 kit. For reference, here what I have in my Sony kit:
    Sony A200 body
    18-70mm F3.5-5.6 (SAL1870)
    75-300mm F4.5-6.3 (SAL75300)
    50mm F1.8 (SAL50F18)

Sony HVL42AM flash

As I mentioned, I'm just a hobbyist, so no spectacular gear there, but it was a great kit to learn its limits and what I want next.

The 50mm is obviously my favourite and I used the telezoom for portraits and outdoor party distance shots.
    The 50mm was too long for indoor social events, so I used the kit lens and was frustrated with its performance, which is why I was going to get a Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 lens to help low light focus and get some sharper images too. Of course, the camera was a bit limiting in those aspects too. The flash helped a lot, but it was still hunting for a focus lock.

So, now that I have a GX1 with 14-42 PZ and 20mm, am I basically back in the same place as with my Sony 18-70mm and 50mm lenses? Or will the GX1 make up for the PZ's slowness a bit with its better low light performance compared to the A200? I guess I'll find out, but I'm just trying to get an opinion on stopping my GAS only get me back to the same performance as my Sony kit, albeit at a much smaller size and weight.

I think I need to close my wallet and save up for that 12-35mm lens.

Time to stop couch-shooting and start taking some shots. :)
  10. eljay

eljay Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Well, while I haven't truly started using my GX1 yet, I have all this Sony gear that I'm afraid will be gathering dust. But at the same time, I think I'm getting some DSLR gear separation anxiety! haha Let me explain...
    The A200 kit has depreciated to the point where I know I will only get peanuts for it. While I know that peanuts is better than having all those pieces simply take up space, I wonder if I should actually keep what I have, especially since I still don't yet have a telezoom for my GX1. In other words, keep the A200 body and 75-300mm lens for those occasions when I'll know that's the length I'll need. Does that make sense?
    Or do I just dump it all for whatever dollars I can get for it now since it will all just keep depreciating to $0?
  11. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    There's nothing wrong with keeping a DSLR for those times you want one. I've chosen not to and just invest in micro four thirds -- but that's a personal choice and not a moral imperative, lol.

You can do whatever you like. You don't have to be a partisan.
  12. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I recently sold my old Nikon DSLR, and I do miss it just a little, mainly for the ergonomics. I wouldn't, however, keep the Sony solely for a telephoto zoom. That just sounds like a big pain switching cameras whenever you need reach.

I ended up finding a friend from out of state who was happy to take my Nikon for a little more than I could have gotten for it on the marketplace. I just mentioned the camera was for sale on Facebook. You might try that strategy, see if you can find someone who wants a cheap entry into the DSLR realm and doesn't mind that the kit isn't the very latest and greatest (hint: anyone budget-conscious who has looked enviously at the DSLR world from afar will jump at the chance to take a trusted piece of kit from someone they trust for well under what the newest systems cost).
  13. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    The A200 has pretty good resale value. The go for $250-300 with kit lens on various sites if they are clean. A similar A100 goes for much less. That's not bad since they were mid 400s new.
  14. eljay

eljay Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    If I could get $250-$300 for the body and kit lens, it would be sold right away! :)
    Well, I will try posting all of my stuff for sale as a package locally to see if someone would be interested while I learn the GX1 and then let my near-term shooting habits decide how much will I use the A200.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
  15. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    I chose the same path, sold my Canon dSLR gear and went 100% m4/3 for my 'serious' kit, and also have a Panasonic LX7 for other uses.

The Canon gear I sold included full-frame bodies and f/2.8 "L" lenses. I don't miss this gear at all, very happy I sold it after a few months with m4/3. The equivalent angle of view lenses I have for my m4/3 kit, particularly the longer 35-100, are seeing much more use because of their smaller size and weight.

Everyone likes and gets along with different cameras, systems, and ergonomics slightly differently. For me the GX1 is a near perfect fit for my style, and I have/use a few of them, all with Panasonic lenses. Recently I also purchased a 'mint' G3 from a forum member for flash use. I'd had/used a G3 before, and while similar to the GX1, I still prefer the GX1.

16. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I just got my gx1 body in the mail, I can see why you like it so much!
  17. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Oahu, gathering place of many cars
    Peter Gunn
    My problem is I seem to like almost everything and often carry both my 5D MKII and GX1. If I was more manly I'd toss in a few more lenses and cameras...
  18. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    I admit to adapting the Leica M glass I still have only once, and maybe I should try it again. However, like entropicremnants, the good Panasonic glass I have seems to work so well, is so much lighter and more convenient, and I have plenty of it now, so using the Leica glass has little appeal.

I'm a 100% m4/3 shooter (except a LX7 P&S) and the Leica gear will probably find a new home later this year when I find time to sell it. It’s worth too much to just sit and somebody else could actually be using/enjoying it.
  19. eljay

eljay Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    OK, so my newly acquired m43 kit hasn't even warmed up in my home yet and I'm already thinking whether I chose the right way to enter m43 world. So, help me out here.

I now have the following kit:
    GX1 with LVF2 viewfinder
    20mm F1.7
    14-42mm PZ pancake

Now, I'm really longing for a fast zoom to use with the GX1. The obvious choice is the well-reviewed Panasonic 12-35mm F/2.8. But, it's very expensive for my needs, so I also looked at adapting an Olympus 14-54mm II F/2.8-3.5. However, I now dismissed that lens due to the lack of IS on a GX1 body since I'd be using it in low light scenes.

So, now I'm having crazy thoughts...
    Instead of paying $950+ for the 12-35 lens, should I just buy a used OM-D for around $700, and buy a used Oly 14-54mm lens with an adapter for under $400? The total would be $1100 (or less) and I'll have the same lens performance with an extra 9mm of focal length (although slower) and, of course, the fantastic OMD body. Then, if I sell the GX1, LVF2, 12-42mm pancake, I should be out only additional $600, rather than $950+ for the 12-35mm lens with my current kit.

I'll be testing the GX1 kit I have on a trip in early September and I'll be going on a family visit trip in October, so by then, I'd like to have my m43 kit sorted. As such, I am in no rush to make any hasty decisions and definitely do not want to buy more photo gear before I sell my old DSLR kit.

Am I crazy? Am I experiencing GAS or am I right to be thinking this way?
    Or should I just swallow the cost of the 12-35mm lens later in September and know that I bought the best MFT zoom lens that I can keep for years to come no matter what body I put behind it down the road?

Thank you!
  20. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Gas is normal, it all depends on your diet. :wink:

If you want the Olympus and can afford it, many will support you in the thought, however in the long run lenses are likely a better, longer lasting value.

I can't imagine you would get much for a 'used' GX1, the prices were so low recently.

Don't discount the GX1, its a fantastic and well built tool; I love mine.