1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New to me GX1

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by dukeneverwinter, Aug 7, 2013.

1. dukeneverwinter

dukeneverwinter Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2013
    La Mesa
    The Clyde
    Just bought a GX1 on close out! Initial playing with it say I need to work on keep my hands still while taking a picture.

Bought it to take landscape and puppy pictures.

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    What lens(es) have you got?

3. dukeneverwinter

Aug 6, 2013
    La Mesa
    The Clyde
    At the moment, just the 14-42 Power zoom pancake.

Just purchased a Pan 20mm f/1.7 off of here that I am looking forward to using.

I'd love to get a 45mm+ telephoto lens, but I'm going to wait until I have another trip where I would use it.

A 40mm prime might be interesting. But, I'm so new to this I'm not sure it would make a difference over my kit lense.

Need to buy a book or two, maybe take a class somewhere.

4. dukeneverwinter

Aug 6, 2013
    La Mesa
    The Clyde
    Any lense recomendation that won't break the bank?

I'd love one of the more high end lenses, but anything over 500 is a serious stretch at the moment.

5. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    First See how you get on with the 20mm and kits lens

The 20mm is better for lower light levels than the kit lens and sharper too. If you find with this you feel you are frequently too close (always stepping back to take the picture) then consider the Pana 14mm or Oly 12mm as the next purchase. If you find that everything appears too small in the pictures or you have to walk forwards then consider the Oly 45mm or Sigma 60mm.

If you prefer using the zoom rather than the 20mm lens then consider the 40-150mm zooms. The Oly can frequently found cheaply but you would lose stabilisation (this would be more of a problem with zooms than the lenses above) but the Pana would not break the bank either.

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Guaranteed to enjoy either the Sigma 30mmF2.8 or the mZuiko 45mmF1.8
    One costs less than the other, both canisolate a face in focus with hazy background for a pleasant effect.

7. dukeneverwinter

Aug 6, 2013
    La Mesa
    The Clyde
    Playing around some.
    First picture was the two dogs playing. Had the camera in 'Pet Scene' Mode. with flash.

Second is Dyson in focus I think I was in A with f/3.5 set.

Third is Dyson also. Not sure if it is out of focus, or just wrong camera settings. f/5.6. 1/80 ISO-250. 42mm Focal Length (84mm@35mm eq). Might have been in iAuto

Attached Files:

8. scotttnz

scotttnz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    A GX1 with 14-42PZ and 20mm was my first m4/3 camera too. (Coming from an SLR)

I'ts a great, compact and lightweight combo. I'm sure you will love it.
    I added a 45-200 zoom, which gives you amazing reach for very little dollars, but I have to say that it doesn't balance particularly well on the GX1, and I would probably recommend the 45-150 or 45-175 over it for that reason. My copy seems to be pretty sharp, but many seem to say that isn't always the case.

9. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I took puppy photos for my parents' business for awhile using a DSLR and a 50mm 1.8... The large aperture is really nice for isolating whiskers, noses and eyes, and adding dimension and feeling. Anything from normal to mild telephoto works well for that. The Olympus 45mm 1.8 is kind of expensive but would be a great lens for that, but your 20mm might work well. I haven't used something significantly shorter than the ~75mm equivalent for puppies.

The 14mm 2.5 is another really nice small lens for landscapes. I got it and it is pretty much my only lens, as I'm probably seeking my kit lens with an extra body. If small lenses aren't quite as big a deal you should look at the Sigmas as well, the 19mm and 30mm are pretty good bang for the buck.

10. mpeth

mpeth New to Mu-43

Jul 19, 2013
    Mendocino Coast
    New to m4/3 and forum

After years using Leica/Pentax/Nikon I picked up a GX1 at a bargain price to try the system. I started with the 45-175 for wild life and was hooked. The Pan/Leica 25/1.4 just came in. Great photos and much easier on 71 year old arms and shoulders.

The old gear is starting to gather dust.

11. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome to the forum!

Always room for more puppies.

Regards,

Jim

12. dukeneverwinter

Aug 6, 2013
    La Mesa
    The Clyde
    Shout out to Colorodo_photog and Youry for hooking me up with a 20mm f/1.7 and 14mm f/,2.5.

13. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Florida
    Todd Cleaver
    Welcome aboard; cute dogs! I'm new here also, seems like a great place.