New to me GH2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dixeyk, Apr 26, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I just made a deal to trade my E-P3 for a fellow member's GH2. I have had terrific luck with my G2 (and love it's ergonomics and handling) so i am looking forward to the GH2 as well. It may not be a shiny new OMD but I guess I'll just have to live with the disappointment (I'm kidding). I was wondering if there are any little bits of advice current GH2 owners have for getting the best from their cameras?

I am pretty confident the settings I have figured out for on my G2 will be good place to start for when I want to shoot JPEG. That said, I plan to shoot mostly RAW with the GH2 so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I think first off is I need at least a 32GB SD card (I plan to take advantage of the GH2's video capabilities as well).

2. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The good thing about it is that there really isn't much that isn't immediately accessible from switches or one push of a button somewhere on the camera's exterior, so there's not a lot to have to get used to or set up.

That may not apply if you're big into custom settings for specific circumstances (I'm not), but even then it's just a dial click away.

There's really not a lot to learn that's new if you've shot most any DSLR before for any time.

That's a good thing, IMO.

3. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I figure it'll be very similar to my G2 (handling wise) which is a big part of the appeal.

4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I've just upgraded to a new GH2 (from my GH1) at a net cost of $330 and am very happy after 'chickening out' on an E-M5 pre-order.

5. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    The eye sensor can be a little sensitive at times (in low light situations and when I'm trying to get low angle shots and accidentally get it a little too close to the ground or my body). There's a way to put it on "low sensitivity", but it still a bit too sensitive, so sometimes I turn it off. If your screen starts blacking out for apparently no reason, it's probably that. I really wish I could assign that to a Fn button.
    [edit for clarification] - I wish I could assign the auto eye sensor on/off to a Fn button - I like having it on 80% of the time, but in some situations I want it off.

I don't know if your G2 has the on-screen focus scale for MF lenses, but it's a godsend coming from the GF1 that doesn't have it.

I also turned the touch screen off, but I think your G2 has a touch screen as well.

I'm debating whether to keep the MAX ISO at 3200 - I might back it down to 1600... sometimes 3200 is acceptable to me, sometimes not - depends on the image. Either way, it's a big step up from the barely usable 800 on my GF1.

Not sure what else is significantly different between the two cameras aside from some video functionality that I don't use, but I'm really loving my GH2 so far.

HTH

6. Old Picker

Old Picker Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2012
    Cwmbran Wales UK
    well, I just bought the GH2 today, body only, for £350 (more expensive in the UK) so I'll be learning also. Problem is, I asked the guy behind the counter how good the Canon 7D was, and he said it was great. I then asked him compared to the GH2, what did he think, his non answer made me wonder??? Anyway, hopefully I should see some sort of upgrade to the GH1.
    OP

7. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    7D is probably marginally better in some cases, but the m4/3 claim to fame is that the whole system is close enough in quality to most crop sensor SLRs and far more portable (especially the lenses).

8. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi
    Kevin
    Now being a moderator u can't favour Panasonic only cameras . I would suggest that u but Olympus OMD as well . :rofl::rofl:
    Cheers

9. Old Picker

Old Picker Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2012
    Cwmbran Wales UK
    Thanks for that! You just made my day a little better:2thumbs:

10. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    As someone who owns both, my experience is that the 7D is better, technically, overall, but there are some inherent problems.

A. Overall total cost of entry
    B. Overall total cost of building up a stable of high quality lenses.
    C. (this one may not be a problem, depending on one's view) the depth of programability, for lack of a better word, on the 7D can be daunting.
    D. Overall total size/weight of a decent landscape kit when up in the backcountry
    E. Replacement cost should the 7D or Canon 'L' lenses take a wee tumble

I don't see much difference between the two, results-wise, until 1600 ISO or so.

11. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010

Oh believe me I think the OMD is a terrific camera and if I had the money laying around I'd pick one up but I do like to pay my bills...:eek: I'm keeping my E-P1 to make sure I have a foot in the Olympus camp as well. :biggrin:

12. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Yeah the eye sensor in he G2 is much the same. I find that I can successfully use ISO 1600 on the G2 (was the same on the E-P3). It worked particularly well for BW. I am looking forward to faster focusing, 5 FPS and a bit better IQ and MUCH better video. The main reason I traded away the E-P3 is that I just found I was always reaching for the G2 instead of the E-P3 so I figured it was gonna end up an expensive paper weight.

The GH2 has the same UI and handling so I suspect I'll take to it right away. As far as the touch screen goes...I will probably turn it off. The touch screen on the E-P3 is wonderful but I rarely used it. I am simply not a touch screen guy and the G2 (and I imagine the GH2 as well) can be operated without ever having to use it.

13. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    If you're okay with 1600 on the G2, you'll be okay with 3200 on the GH2, maaaybe even a bit higher. 5000 is pushing it too hard for stills though. The GH2 has slightly improved handling, as the iAuto button is now a customizable button, and the left and down buttons are custom. (Unfortunately you can't set them separately for stills and video.)

Some customizations I did:
    * Turn down all the volumes! Beeps, shutters, etc.
    * RAW in the custom modes. Still not happy with JPEGs from this cam, although Vibrant film mode gets close.
    * AE Lock Hold on, PRE AF off
    * AF Assist Lamp off. It's never made a difference for me.
    * AF+MF on.
    * Low sensitivity for LVF/LCD sensor.
    * Touch shutter off, touch guide off.

14. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Thanks, that's good to know.

15. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I've read somewhere that ISO values of 160-320-640 etc. offer the best sensitivity/noise ratio. And indeed ISO 400 is noticeably worse than 320, same for 640 vs. 800. Something to watch out for, I normally like to go no higher than 640 with 1250 for difficult circumstances.

If you stick to the more usual 200-400-800-... series you lose 2/3 stop for essentially the same performance.

16. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I have both and they each have their strengths.. The 7D is a machine gun, 8fps, well balanced with my 400/5.6. If I have to use flash, then it's the DSLR's as well. I also have f2.8 zooms all the way from 11mm to 300mm with fast AF, so shooting weddings and such is with the 7D.

The GH2 is used 90% for video, but also as a walk around with the 14-140. I also have the GF3, 14/2.5, 20/1.7, 14-42z & 100-300, so I can pick and choose which camera/lens to bring along for whatever I'm doing.

That said, as long as I have the right lenses and/or supporting equipment, I would not hesitate to use either camera for just about everything.

17. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I did all that as well. Learned to kill the AF assist lamp awhile back - all it does is annoy subjects. I also turned on "shoot w/o lens" so I could use my MF fisheye.

18. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    160 is the base ISO for the GH2, so it will be the cleanest, and the GH2's ISO selection screen is setup that way anyhow.

19. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to tell Auto ISO to stick to the 160-based native series :( In consistent low light conditions I find myself locking the ISO to 1250 or 2500 and tweaking exposure comp down a bit to match. Then I can bring things back in post.

20. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    If I use auto ISO, then I'm usually not so picky about noise. Below 800 ISO, I really don't find it to make enough of a difference.

I find the C1-C3 custom dial settings pretty make it so easy to preset my camera for indoor vs outdoor settings, that I rarely use auto-iso.