New to me G2 arrived

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dixeyk, Jan 21, 2013.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I picked up a lovely G2 from another board member after a number of other attempts at picking a G series camera fell flat. It arrived and is in wonderful shape (kudos to Barefoot Pilgrim for keeping the gear spotless). I popped a Sigma 30 on it and I have a few observations. The Sigma 30 is a nice lens. I like the close focus ability of a little more than a foot and it focuses very quickly. The focus locks immediately and thus far it has been very reliable. The handling is superb (just like I remembered) and the camera falls comfortably in the hand.

Because of the time it took me to find a G2 I had picked up a Fuji X10 and it has really become my leave it in my backpack take anywhere camera. I am finding a far better go-to camera for a variety of reasons such as built-in macro, zoom lens and images that are quite good. I would even go so far as to say that the IQ is on par with first generation m43 cameras. Still, the G2 offers me an articulated LCD and that will be very useful in getting odd angle shots. Also, the mini-DSLR styled body will be a stable platform for a couple of my longer telephotos (Hex 200 and Vivitar 70-210) where I think the m43 sensor affords it some advantages for what I want it for (bird images). Overall a lovely little camera and still quite capable despite not being the latest and greatest.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Congrats, the G2 is a fine camera indeed (coming from someone who sold his G1 after acquiring a NEX-6 :eek:). If I remember correctly you promised yourself not to buy any gear this year? I would have thought that you could at least get through January without buying any. :biggrin:
  3. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Glad you've finally found a m4/3 that will keep you with us for a spell(again lol). I agree with your view of the X10 as well, for a go everywhere casual shooter the X10 is the cam I wish I had kept.
    Since you've returned and having read your comment about regretting selling your PL45, does this mean you want it back now? I still have it.
  4. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    I feel ya on the regrets. I kind of regret selling my GF1 + 20mm to fund my 25mm purchase sometimes, which is why I'm keeping my GH2 even after I bought my GH3 :D.
  5. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    I'm still very happy with my G2 and the Sigma 30mm compliments it very well :thumbup:
  6. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Yeah, I was hoping I could get some sort of dispensation of the G2 purchase because it originated BEFORE the end of the year but after two failed attempts I was determined to consummate the deal when I saw the one on this forum come available.

But yes...I failed miserably on my pledge. At least I bought the Sigma 30 before January 1st.
  7. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    As tempting as asking for that PL45 would be I think I'm good. :biggrin: The Sigma 30 is actually pretty nice and an awfully good match for the G2. I'm so not used to fast AF with the Sigma. On my NEX the AF for the Sigma 30 is best described as "leisurely". I'll see if I can get out and grab some images with it. Right now I'm spending a lot of time playing with the X10 and with available daylight being pretty scarce around these parts it might be a while but I'll get some images up.