New to M43

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by AdzeCO, Mar 21, 2016.

1. AdzeCO

AdzeCO Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2016
    Mike
    I'm a current 43 user and have recently been reading up on the EM1 on this site and others. I originally picked up an E1 in 2006 and then an E3 right when they came out. I really enjoyed the E3 over the years and it suited the types of photography I liked at the price point I liked. I often took it out in pouring rain for hours at a time while my buddy with his 5D would be looking at me in amazement. Yes, there were limitations, but the strengths outweighed them for me. Still have both and they still work great.

I finally just pulled the trigger on a refurbished EM1 from the Olympus store, it was too good a deal to pass up. I was originally going to wait until the EM1 Mk II was out and either see what it brought or see what it did to the EM1 prices. The spring sale at the Olympus store added an extra 25% off the reconditioned price, so $539 US plus tax. Hard to beat that!

I've kind of taken a break from my photography hobby for the past couple of years but have gotten back the itch and look forward to the new camera. Especially intrigued by the astrophotography examples I've seen. this was definitely an area that the E3 just could not compete. Will be using my legacy 43 lenses to start: 50-200, 14-54, 7-14, 1.4 tc.

With those lenses to start, what are suggestions for a first m43 lens?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Welcome to the forum! After checking over your E-M1, the first thing I would do is update the firmware. The latest release seems to be pretty stable, and it offers a lot of new features.

Enjoy!

--Ken

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I recommend that you use your existing lenses and see if you notice any serious limitations before throwing money down on newer optics. You already have coverage from super wide to long telephoto.

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That's a nice stable of 4/3 lenses, I don't think there's much to be initially gained from getting native m4/3 lenses except size/weight savings. Getting smaller fast primes is where it's most dramatic. The zooms have their clear equivalents in m4/3 (12-40, 7-14), but keep the 50-200 as there's no equivalent.

5. AdzeCO

AdzeCO Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2016
    Mike
    Thanks. I think for a m43 lens Just something smaller in case i want to take advantage of that aspect. Also a macro lens as i dont really have that cov r red. And as mentioned a prime lens.

6. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    There are three native primes available, and the 60 is my favorite. It is sealed for weather resistence, and it sounds like you might appreciate that from your OP.

--Ken

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. AdzeCO

AdzeCO Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2016
    Mike
    Thanks I will have to put the 60mm on my wish list. Are any of the kit lenses ok? Purely to use as a small form factor lens.

8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My personal favorite is the Panasonic 14-42 II and it is small and very affordable on the second-hand market.

9. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    You may get a lot of opinions on this question, and the one that tkbslc mentioned often makes the list. The two kit lenses that I like are the Panasonic 14-45 and 12-32. The latter is quite compact, but does not have a manual focus ring. The former is the granddaddy of must have kit lenses for the system. It is highly regarded, and has probably only been equaled in reputation by the lens mentioned by tkbslc, but as I said, lots of opinions.

--Ken

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    Welcome to the m4/3 world, you picked a great camera to start with. I had the E-M1 on two separate occasions, first st launch and most recently in early 2015 with the launch of FW2.0. I keep on getting drawn towards larger sensors (like the a7rII and the Fuji X series) but the compact nature of these m4/3 models and the idea of having good enough pictures keeps on drawing me back. Seeing how many improvements came along with the various FW updates with the E-M1 is impressive and has my sights set high for a E-M1 M2.

To be honest I would recommend picking up one of the 1.8 primes, pick out your preferred focal length and get the 12/17/25/45/60/75 lens.

11. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I agree with the primes.

The most praised primes are the Oly 45/Pana 42.5/1.7, Pana 20 (slow AF), Sigma 60, Oly 60, any of the three 25mm and, of course, the 75 and Nocticron. And others, it's hard to find a bad one.

If you like manual focus only lenses the Mitakon 25/0.95 or the Rokinon/Samyang 7.5 may be something different, high quality at a reasonable price.

About the Oly 14-42 kit lens I would suggest the R version rather then the pancake one: the size difference on the E-M1 wont be much and there are more complaints about the latter (and you get a non electronic zoom too that for me is a plus and a full size focus ring).

Be sure to get the MMF-3 adapter, the only weather sealed one.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  12. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Don't overlook the Panasonic lenses.

The 20mm/1.7 is a gem. It has a reputation of slow focus but its size and IQ make it stellar. The FOV makes it a great single lens for many occasions. I find the focus plenty fast on my newer Olympus bodies.

The Panasonic 12-32mm collapsible lens is another gem. Small, light, and good IQ.

These two lenses will help you enjoy the size advantage that m43 offers.

At some point, I would also recommend considering the 75mm. If it is a focal length you like, the lens is great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Panasonic is going to release a weather sealed 12-60 lens in a few months (with 0.54x magnification). It may be worth waiting if you are considering a normal zoom:

Panasonic announces the new 12-60mm MFT lens! – 43 Rumors

Not super small and not super fast but an interesting lens nonetheless.

14. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

When you're using your 4/3's DSLR lenses on the E-M1 (via an MMF-3), after coming from the E-1 & E-3 DSLRs (at least the latter) with twin cross type AF sensors, you will notice on the E-M1 that with some subjects the lenses will hunt when they didn't on the DSLRs & that is when there isn't any or enough vertical detail as the 'on sensor' PD-AF pixels of the E-M1 are only horizontally aligned. Sometimes it can be useful to rotate the camera to get a focus lock in those circumstances & back again to get the shot. As long as you're aware of these limitations there is usually a work around solution. I've had (& still have) a few Olympus DSLRs (E410, E520 & E30) & am working backwards a little with lens purchasing, not being able to afford them earlier with buying the 50-200 SWD lens a year ago & just now the 12-60 SWD lens with the former being more affordable than the later options & the latter I got at a bargain price & both work rather nice on the E-M1. I did get the 14-54 II lens as soon as it was available (when the E30 came out which I bought used a year later) & that works fine too.

15. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    Greetings from a recycled :mu43: user! I've tried and un-tried several times, hoping the tiny ePM2 will keep me active. I own a K·50 so fun in the rain sounds familiar :)

16. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I came to micro-43rds the same way you did, having last been using the E-3 for a while and only when I got a 20% coupon off a refurb E-M1 did I finally make the jump. And like you I had good lenses to work with (12-60mm & 50-200mm being my main ones). And I didn't buy a single micro-43rds lens for a full year and just continued to use my old 43 lenses.

The only reason I finally jumped into some m43 lenses was the following summer as we planned our next family vacation, I wanted to travel lighter and picked up a used Panasonic 12-35/2.8 here. The seller also had a 17/1.8 and the bundled price he offered for the pair was too good to pass up. That said, another almost year later and I still find myself using the old 12-60mm lens as much as the Panasonic 12-35. I do enjoy using the very small 17/1.8 though.

You have some great zooms there so I wouldn't worry too much about replacing those yet and go with lenses that compliment what you have and were never really available on 43rds (like fast primes) with the exception of your idea to pick up a "kit" type zoom just to have a light option available. Otherwise I would be looking at some of the primes. the 60 macro was already mentioned to you. Based on what I have tried, you might also look into the 45/1.8. It can be had for only about $200 second hand and is downright tiny (the back of the lens that mounts to the camera is the largest diameter, the front being smaller). Next the already mentioned 17mm/1.8. I also have the 25mm/1.8 which I just got as a present last month but really haven't had a chance to try it out much. So far it seems great but I haven't walked around with it much yet to determine if the focal length is for me or if I should instead stick with my 17mm/45mm combo.

One final thought, the 12mm/f2 prime is one that was very highly regarded as one of the first fast primes out by Olympus. These days, while still highly regarded, with the release of such lenses as the Panny 12-35/2.8 and Oly 12-40/2.8 PRO, not as many people seem to be as interested the the 12mm/2.0 anymore, finding these faster zooms satisfying their wide angle needs plus the 12/2.0 is still a rather pricey lens news. As such, used copies seem to be going for a relatively bargain compared to new ones. So for strictly wide angle shooting (when not using your 7-14mm) and with a fast f2 aperture, you might give that one some thought as well.

17. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My 'light' lens is the M12-50 as it came with the E-M5 but it isn't short being internally zooming, however I do find it versatile.

18. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

So in summary, "Welcome to m43. You should definitely buy every lens."

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  19. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    But starting with the 60mm, which is a sweet lens and will give you some macro capability, is an excellent idea.

You have remembered to buy a 4/3 to m4/3 converter, right?

20. AdzeCO

AdzeCO Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2016
    Mike
    Thanks all for the great suggestions and advice. Hadnt been able to get back to this thread til this evening and enjoyed reading the differnt options. And yes a mmf-3 adapter is on the way.

I think the take away on the wide range of lens recommendations is that a good many of the m43 lenses are good, and there are many to fit each persons style of shooting. All good! One of the plusses that held true for 43rds. Buying 43rds lenses was much easier compared to other systems due to the quality available.

Look forward to delivery day!

• Like Like x 2