New to M43 system

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tobahl, Sep 11, 2017.

1. tobahl

tobahl Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 11, 2017
    Nynäshamn, Stockholm, Sweden
    Tobias Åhlander
    Hi guys,

Just pulled the trigger on the Olympus M10 Mark II. Been looking for a while for something to complement my Canon 70D, and been wanting to go full frame and waited for the 6D Mark II. After being a bit underwhelmed with the specs and disappointed by the high price, I started to look at other ways to get more fun out of my photography. Since I have some Canon glass I looked up the Canon EOS M5 instead, but it was also a bit pricey, so I started checking alternatives and my eyes were hooked on the Olympus M10 and M5.

Long story short, I found a really good price online on the M10 Mark II new with the pancake zoom lens, so I just had to order it. I'm not planning to use the kit lens a lot, but it's something to get started with until I have sorted out adapters etc.

Really looking forward to start contributing to this forum, and watch out for newbie questions :)

• Like Like x 6
  2. Tenpenny

Tenpenny Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Nampa, Idaho
    Brent Watkins
    Welcome aboard @tobahl@tobahl I shoot the Mark 1 version of the M10. I love the hell out of this little camera, and I'm sure you will too. Can't wait to see some photos!

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Welcome tobahl.

I have to ask, did anything drive you to E-M10 besides price? Cleary you won't be scratching the full frame itch with 4/3s sensor, and if you are a dedicated Canon shooter their mirrorless bodies make a lot more sense because you presumably already have lenses that can be adapted with AF.

I'm not suggesting you made a bad choice. Heck, I would think the E-M10mkII will perform as well as your 70D in most situations, with way less bulk and weight. I'm just curious as to the motivations of a new user.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Welcome to m43. I shoot APS-C and 135 size Nikon bodies along side my m43. What I have is in the signature below.

Every camera, sensor size, lens has a place. The EM10 II is a good place to start. Don't discount the kit lenses so fast in m43. I've shot with a vast majority of m43 lenses and I ave to say there are very few that are what most would consider "bad". Even the kit lenses are quite good. Definitely give the kit lens a chance before moving on to something else.

You've found a great forum here too with lots of experienced, considerate and knowledgeable members. Enjoy the experience here too!

5. tobahl

tobahl Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 11, 2017
    Tobias Åhlander
    Thanks!
    To be honest, when I was looking in to the Canon mirrorless I was a bit discouraged by the price point and the fact that their new cameras feels like they should have been released a few years earlier regarding technology in them. Also before this I haven't known much about the M43 systems, but the last two weeks I've been doing a lot of reading up, and the OMD cameras with IBIS seems to me is well worth it. I have a few old MD lenses I'm going to try out with this camera as well.

Size wise the E-M10 seems about the size of my old Minolta X700, which is nice. I usually try to bring my 70D in my bag whenever I go out, but lately I haven't done that. With the E-M10 I think I'll have the camera with me a lot more. And no I'm not going to scratch my full frame itch with the 4/3 sensor but that will have to wait a few years :)

I know the E-M10 Mark III is coming out soon, but the main selling point seems to be 4k video, which I don't need since I'm mostly into stills. I was also looking at the E-M5, but as I said, the price I found for the E-M10 made it easy. And this way, if I don't like it, I haven't put a lot of money into it. There's always a million things to consider when investing in something new, but sometimes you just got to take a leap of faith I suppose.

• Like Like x 2
  6. tobahl

tobahl Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 11, 2017
    Tobias Åhlander
    Thanks!

I've checked this forum for photos of the kit lens and it seems pretty good, and also the photos I found on flickr. I will be sure to try it out a lot before I make up my mind :) But I will most probably go for the Panasonic 20mm pancake as it seems to be a good one. Then we'll see.

7. Full 36×24 imaging is a big investment, in both money and weight, that has lost much of its luster as I become a more full-time :mu43: shooter. The benefits are clear - if the user has the skills to make use of them. I'd love a K-1 for some of my older K-mount glass, but really the GX7 is a better fit for my skills as I waste less of its full capabilities. I have the inside IS and only lack weather seals and several top-level features I'd use maybe twice a year - and I gain a lot in the bank balance.

Your story will most definitely be different!
    Enjoy the new em10/ii :cool:

8. TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 15, 2016
    welcome.)
    since you mentioned adapting lenses, you clearly wouldn´t mind manual focus lenses. i don´t promise full salvation for FF itch, but some fast manual primes like Mitakon 35mm f0.95, or using turbo boosters with f1.4 or 1.2 glass will make your life quality quite bearable.
    also, there is a range of some exotic adapters like tilt, shift, or tilt/shift for FF lenses. like this one.) https://www.amazon.de/FOTGA-Adapter-Canon-Objektiv-Kamera/dp/B00IWPJ3FI. sadly you can´t adapt md to ef mount, as far as i know.
    don´t let the GAS bug bite you%)

9. algold

algold Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2016
    Alex
    Congrats on your new camera and welcome to the forum.
    As said above, don't discount your 14-42ez too soon, it's a nice compact lens. Just get an auto lens cap for it, a JJC one, an Oly cap is just too expensive.
    After your 70D battery life of E-M10 is too short and you will need a spare battery.

10. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Thanks for the reply. Sound reasoning from my perspective!

11. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere

Aug 19, 2016
    New Westminster, BC
    Welcome!

I think you'll like it on this side of the fence. And remember, itches are best left unscratched lest they become rashes :biggrin:

12. tobahl

tobahl Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 11, 2017
    Tobias Åhlander
    Yeah, that's it isn't it. Everything just blows out of proportion with prices for us non professionals. I had some doubts about the small size of these cameras, but the more I'm thinking about it I think that it will work out just fine. As I said, I'm excited to start using the camera :)

Well I don't mind manual focus lenses, but I prefer auto focus. But it's all good fun to learn the art of manual focus as well :) I've been eyeing the metabones adapter for my EF lenses... but it's quite pricey, probably won't go down that road just yet :p

Yes, I will also start looking in to spare batteries shortly. How are the aftermarket batteries? Any good or do I need originals?
    Yes, ain't that the truth :)

13. JamesD172

JamesD172 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 18, 2016
    James Dolezal
    Welcome to the forum! The Em10 ii is a very fine camera. I really loved mine when I owned it.

Aftermarket batteries work well and are much less expensive. I used Wasabi batteries when I owned the E-M10 II and continue to use aftermarkets in an EM5 II without issue.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. algold

algold Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2016
    Alex
    Bought 2 batteries, listed as "genuine Olympus batteries", from ebay for 1/3 of the local camera store price. They work well, can't see any difference

15. tobahl

tobahl Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 11, 2017
    Tobias Åhlander
    Bad news everyone, the company I ordered the M10 mkII from could not deliver it, so they cancelled my order. However, I'm determined to get this camera, so I'll keep looking for any reasonable deals. I'll let you know when it's time again :)

And thanks for all the information and help so far!

16. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    That's a bummer to hear that they cancelled your order. Was the camera new or used?

The reason I ask is because there are plenty of great used cameras out there for very reasonable prices (E-M1, E-M5 II, E-M10 II), and depending on how much you're looking to spend, you could get a better camera for less money.

17. tobahl

tobahl Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 11, 2017
    Tobias Åhlander
    It was new but it was a really good price. I prefer new store bought toys instead of used ones though, but will keep my eyes open :)

18. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I don't know where you're located, but if you're in the US, you can pick up a factory refurbished E-M5 II right now from Olympus for $520 (plus tax).

19. tobahl

tobahl Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 11, 2017
    Tobias Åhlander
    Unfortunately I'm in Sweden :(

20. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Worse camera deals, better looking women. That's a trade-off I'd take ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1