New to M43 and enjoying it so far

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Krigskoen, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Krigskoen

Krigskoen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2015
    I've been lurking here for a few weeks and so far I've been quite impressed with the nice atmosphere and friendly attitude of the users here :)

Some info about me: I'm 30 years old, living in Denmark. I'm currently doing a Master's in Business Communication and also working part time in customer service. I've been interested in photography for about 5 years, when I bought my first "serious" camera.

I just bought a Olympus OM-D E-M10 a few days ago and quite happy with it. Before this, I have used a Canon DSLR, a Fuji X10 and then Fuji X100S. And I was actually on track to buying the new Fuji X-T10, but while I had preordered it, I decided to look around and see what else was out there.

I must admit I really never gave M43 cameras much thought before, but I really liked the retro look of the OMD series, something that also attracted me to the Fuji cameras. I then started reading reviews and looking at image samples and pretty much every reviewer had only praise for the E-M10. It was also priced quite attractively and on top of that there is a cashback in my country this summer (it's almost half the price of the Fuji X-T10). For a few weeks, I had a hard time deciding between the two! I then tried the E-M10 out in person, and the focus speed blew me away! I never thought a camera with CDAF could be so fast! Simply amazing. That was the final straw, since the Fuji cameras have never been known for their fast focus and I was getting fed up with missing shots because of that.

So far I'm just using the kit lens, but I'm thinking of getting either the Olympus 25mm or the 45mm soon, both solid and fairly cheap lenses with fast apertures.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I moved from Canon DSLR not too long ago. I've also been very impressed with the performance and image quality.

I have both the 25mm and 45mm and I think you would be very happy with either. You can test out the focal length preference using your kit lens to see which fits your style best.
  3. Krigskoen

Krigskoen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2015
    Thanks! :)

Yeah, it's not a easy choice..they're both great for each of their uses. I'll probably end up buying both, haha
  4. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014

Never been to Denmark. Would be interested to see some of your pictures.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    If you're willing to buy used, since the 45mm has been around for a while, there are incredible bargains available for second-hand lenses (including in the buy & trade section of this site). They can go for $200 or even a bit less, which considering the speed and quality, is an incredible bargain.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Welcome from sunny Scotland. Looking forward to seeing some of your pics. :thumbup:
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1