New to M4/3s... OM-D, EP-5, or wait?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by cdo221, Jun 16, 2013.

1. cdo221

cdo221 Mu-43 Rookie

May 3, 2013
    First time poster here and I was hoping you guys could help me with some advice.

I would describe myself as an advanced enthusiast/amateur photographer. I'm currently using a DSLR system, shooting mostly landscapes/cityscapes and the occasional portrait session. I plan to keep my DSLR system but I'm looking for a lightweight mirrorless to complement it. The m4/3s would be mainly for travel/vacation or a 'carry everywhere' type of camera should I ever need it - for those moments that I didn't bring the big heavy SLR but the iPhone camera just won't do.

All that being said, what would suit me more? The OM-D or the EP-5? or should I wait for the next rumored announcement of a camera in September?

I'm currently leaning towards the EP-5 because:
    Focus Peaking - I love using older MF lenses
    Smaller form factor

OM-D - Weathersealing - I do travel to somewhat inclement places at times and I don't baby my gear. I don't abuse my gear but I do see it as tools and well, tools will wear and tear over time.

I don't like the EVF - I owned and loved the X100 for a period time. But, I hated the EVF. I figured that since the OM-D EVF has a similar number of dots as the X100, I'll probably dislike the OMD EVF. Is this a safe assumption? I'm thinking that since the VF-4 has more dots - perhaps it would be the better VF for me?

Last option - wait for the new announcement in Sept 9. I'm hoping it would be an OM-D level or higher camera - EP-5 features + weather sealing would be perfect as long as the size isn't too large. I read on 43 rumors that it might have 15 stops of dynamic range too, which would be crazy perfect!

What do you all think?
  2. hookgrip

hookgrip Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    The VF-4 is also considerably larger than the OM-D's EVF, so that's another point in favor of the E-P5+VF-4 combination. If you are coming from a full-frame DSLR, you may find the OM-D's EVF small.

(The OM-D's EVF is similar in size to the VF-2)

3. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    I don't consider the weathersealing to be a great advantage because of the poor selection of weathersealed lenses. You will certainltly end up weathersealing your lenses (if you ever happen to shoot in bad weather conditions), which might be more complicated that weathersealing the whole camera. EP-5 also has a better resolution LCD screen, a built-in wi-fi and iso100, which combined with 1/8000 gives you opportunities to shoot fast primes wide open even during the sunny days. As an OM-D owner I should admit that EP-5 is a better camera in all respects and I don't see reasons of going with OM-D anymore.

As for your question, it depends on your situation. If you want to start shooting a great camera already (like during vacations this summer), I'd go with EP-5. Next generation OM-D doesn't exist and noone knows when it will be realeased yet. The new generation cameras will always be better though.
  4. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Some say the OM-D EVF is generally nicer than others, such as the Sony, even though they have more dots than the OM-D.
    1) Give the OM-D EVF a try.
    2) Most people here seem to use it and get on with it. (Shall we vote on it?)
  5. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    Given that this system will be an adjunct to the DSLR rather than a replacement, I'd go with the E-P5 + VF4. Smaller form factor with the EVF removed, focus peaking and a better viewfinder would seal the deal for me.

This is always a better system rumored to be announced in a few months, unless the current options just aren't usable for you I don't see the point in waiting. Hard to take pictures with a camera you don't have. :wink:
  6. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    I shoot mostly with EVF on my OM-D and can't imaging shooting withoug it, especially when I do street photography or simply shoot outside during the daylight. A friend of mine has NEX-7 and pixelwise our viewfinders are pretty much the same (meaning you still see pixels on both cameras, which is not good). NEX's one has more pixels but it seems that they contribute to the overal EVF field size. I like the larger EVF better, though I wish that Olympus came up with higher pixel density EVF (something like Apple retina type of screen). Perhaps that is the case with the new EVF-4, I don't know.
  7. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    I came from the the Canon world and found the OMD vf to be very easy to use. The cost for waiting on a new OMD is that it surely will be more expensive. GRRRRRRRRR!

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app
  8. scarbrd

scarbrd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I love the form factor of the PENs, but if you really want weather sealed, go for the OM-D and pair it with the Panasonic 12-35 F2.8. It's also weather sealed.

This is probably the best walk around kit I've ever used. The 12-35 is a constant 2.8 and is a stellar performer. I took this kit hiking through Yosemite. Never worried about mist from the water falls or dust from the trails.

I did the same thing as you a while back. After 6 months, I sold off all my Canon gear.
  9. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Try the EVFs before deciding. I've been shooting SLRs/DSLRs for 20+ years...I was an "OVF or go home" kinda guy for years and years. When I decided to go mirrorless I grudgingly admitted that an EVF would be good...I played with a lot of cameras (including the X-E1 and the NEX-6) and each time I came away with a feeling that it wasn't great, but I could hopefully learn to live with it after extensive usage.

Then I picked up on OM-D...I started using it and instantly I forgot that it was an EVF. I don't know what it is about this EVF, but even though by the numbers it's one of the worst EVFs, it feels the most natural. I've owned my OM-D for almost a month now, and I keep forgetting that it's an EVF (and I come from some pretty impressive OVFs: Canon 1D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 5D Classic, etc)...

The weathersealing, however, as people have mentioned only works with certain lenses, and here's the big thing: OLYMPUS HAS NEVER RELEASED ANY QUANTIFIABLE DATA ABOUT THE WEATHERSEALING!!! (For example, my 5D Mark II is rated to withstand 10mm of precipitation in 3 minutes or something like that...Olympus has sternly refused to release ANY sort of data on just how much this camera will withstand).

I certainly wouldn't rely on it...I treat the OM-D as a non-sealed camera.
  10. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I also gave up my larger cameras when I started with m4/3 and if I was going to have a dual system - like you are thinking - I would also go with the EP5 and the VF4. This coming from someone who loves the EM5 but will soon be selling it for the EP5. Just prefer the smaller form factor but I don't use the EVF as much as a lot of other people do so I like the fact I can remove it when I don't want it. If I were to use the EVF constantly, I would probably keep the EM5 - even with the improvements to the EP5.
    (I had an EP3 and the reason I "upgraded" to the EM5 was not the EVF but other improvements. I always liked the Pen form better.)
  11. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    I'd check out the controls of the two cameras and see which you like better. For me the ergonomics of the E-M5 fit my way of shooting almost perfectly, so I'd be loathe to go back on controls for a slightly better accessory EVF. I find the EVF on the EM5 quite good, and the fact that I don't need to tie up my hotshoe with a finder is a bonus. Also, since Olympus tends to throw in improvements as they become available, even on lower end cameras, you're sure to see a better EVF and other bells and whistles from the EP5 in the next OM-D. But the Pens are great cameras; I just prefer the experience of shooting the E-M5. Try to handle both and see what you like. One size doesn't fit all.
  12. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The arrival time for the E-P5 mainly influenced my recent purchase of the OM-D w/ the weathersealed 12-50. Delivery is expected when I would begin my travels. I think it was a blessing in disguise. I often find myself shooting outdoors for my sports gigs and the 5DMkIII with 70-200 f/2.8 IS II combo kept me shooting in the rain.

With that said, the OM-D combo above gives me the assurance in my travels that I can continue to shoot or just move about with little to no worry about my equipment getting damaged in the rain. I love my E-P3 17 1.8 combo but surely is a fair weather kit.

By the way, I'm actually really digging the evf on the OM-D for when I have the time to compose. Sunny days make it challenging to compose with the LCD. I definitely like the flip down of the LCD on the OM-D for street shooting. Subjects think I'm just tinkering with my camera when I'm using the screen to take the shot ha!
  13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Might want to wait to see what the GX2 brings :smile: