New to m4/3!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by kristan, Mar 17, 2013.

1. kristan

kristan New to Mu-43

Mar 14, 2013
    Grand Rapids, MI

I'm Kristan, a stay a home mom to one (well, three if you include the dogs!). I've been dabbling in photography for a few years and my last camera was a D7000. Sadly, my iPhone camera was getting most of the use, so I decided I needed something smaller.

I only recently found out about mirrorless cameras and the micro4/3 format after reading about the Nikon 1. Luckily, I'm a pretty good Google-er and found the Oly OM-D EM-5 would be a better choice.

So, a friend bought my D7000 last week and had the Oly in my hands by Thursday! I'm in love so far. Already looking to get another lens (leaning toward the Pany 25mm...)

Anywho, can't wait to learn more!
  2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Hi Kristan!

Welcome to the forum.

(I sold off a Nikon D300 and associated kit in a move to OM-D EM-5 last year and haven't regretted it one whit.)

3. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Welcome, Kristan.

I sold my Canon DSLR and lenses last year and don't miss the big, heavy kit one bit. I own a NEX F3 from last summer, and an OMD that I just bought a few days ago, and love mirrorless cameras. My dream camera would combine the best features of the NEX and OMD together, but that's just a dream. :)

Unless you shoot fast moving subjects a lot (i.e. sports) there is little advantage with DSLRs, especially with MFT's great lens selection (its biggest advantage over NEX).
  4. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Welcome. A great choice — the OM-D is a GREAT camera. And the P/L 25 f1.4 is a fantastic lens. A very versatile combination. Enjoy.
  5. kristan

kristan New to Mu-43

Mar 14, 2013
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Thanks everyone! I had my D7000 since release and when I checkd the shutter count to sell it, it only had 1900 clicks on it! Oy!