1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New to M4/3

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by itsmaryg, Aug 20, 2012.

1. itsmaryg

itsmaryg New to Mu-43

Jul 31, 2012
    Hi, I'm no pro, photography is a hobby of mine. But just recently I came to realize that I didn't enjoy shooting with my Canon 7D any more. I had missed too many great photo opportunities because of the weight and I had been leaving it at home more and more.

So i did a little homework which led me here - where I learned about the GX1 and OMD-EM5. I bought them both (liked them both) but ended up returning the GX1 and sticking with the OMD-EM5 because of the EVF, tilting screen, and good looks.

I have sold all of my Canon gear, lenses, flash, large camera bags all of that stuff except my small 4 Million Dollar Home which seems to be a great fit for the OMD-EM5 with included flash attached and the Olympus grip that I'm waiting to take delivery of.

Now I just need to decide if I should get a new flash or the Panasonic 20mm next ~ getting new toys can be so much fun and thanks to Olympus I am excited about photography again and look forward to shooting with my new OMD-EM5.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi
    Welcome to MFT and this wonderful forum .You will love your OMD and MFT offers some beautiful lenses . Panny 20 mm is a superb lens and one of the celebrity kind of lens in MFT world . Have a look at image threads from Oly 45 mm 1.8 , Oly 75 mm 1.8 and PL25 mm 1.4 then decide .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

3. itsmaryg

itsmaryg New to Mu-43

Jul 31, 2012
    Thanks for welcoming me and I will be checking out some of those threads - I love seeing what other are people are producing. It's funny but I had never heard of the term GAS before I got to this forum but I know all to well what GAS feels like and I just hope peeking around those threads doesn't give me a bad case of it - I guess I'll be entering those threads at my own risk. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  4. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hi Mary,

I'm also relatively new to this forum and the M 4/3 format. Like you, lugging my big pro Nikons and my usual assortment of lenses (D3, D800e, 14-24, 17-35, 28-70 & 70-200 ALL 2.8 / AF-s zooms) was really cramping my style. I too was missing out on those great opportunities because I didn't want to lug that heavy kit of mine around... Thank God I discovered the M 4/3 camera system! It's completely liberated and re-inspired me when it comes to shooting...

That said, and turning to your query, if it were me, I'd opt to purchase the Pany 20 / f1.7 before getting a flash. Here's my reasoning: your OM-D came with a descent little flash that is capable of providing great fill flash when needed. Those times when using a flash is not an option, the OM-D's amazing IBIS will allow you to shoot at considerably lower shutter speeds. Furthermore, the Pany 20 is substantially faster than any of the standard kit lenses, so once again, you're able to shoot in lower light levels than with your typical Pany or Oly kit zoom (combined with the IBIS increases that even further). Finally, you'll use the 20 ALL the time and it will undoubtedly become one of your favorite lenses EVER. I rarely if ever use the big Olympus flash that I rushed out to buy after being bitten by the M 4/3 bug. It was expensive and BIG and frankly, a premature purchase that was ultimately a mistake!

Whatever you decide, keep us posted and welcome to the community! :th_salute:

5. itsmaryg

itsmaryg New to Mu-43

Jul 31, 2012
    Looks like a great price on a used 20mm in the marketplace is about to make up my mind for me - and I think wildwildwes is right about a larger flash getting limited use. With my the 12-50mm kit lens and I feel like a better flash would serve me well but keeping my kit compact is important so I'm going to jump on this use 20mm if its still available - wish me luck.

6. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Good luck Mary , U will find it soon on this forum . ANyway from where are u actually? We would love to see some pics soon.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

7. itsmaryg

itsmaryg New to Mu-43

Jul 31, 2012
    I am in mid-Michigan with my husband and 8 yr old son - and I can think of no better place to capture the colors of autumn or the apple orchards and cider mills than in Michigan. I will look forward to sharing pix now that I have a camera that can easily go where I go :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  8. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Welcome, Mary! I too am in mid-Michigan and new to m43. I sold all my Pentax gear a few months ago and now have an EM5 and EPM1. I don't use flash much but do like the FL300R off camera when I do. :smile:

Sent from my phone, pardon my brevity.

9. itsmaryg

itsmaryg New to Mu-43

Jul 31, 2012
    As of today there is a 20mm in route to my front door - I always used my flash attached to the 7D for bouncing the light and that is the way I figured I would use the Olympus flash - but I think off camera would probably make a lot more since and its something I will try when I finally get a flash - thanks for the idea.

10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome! The 20mm is a great choice. I very rarely use flash since converting to :43:. The low light performance, IBIS and fast primes make flash an option, not a necessity. Enjoy!

• Like Like x 2