1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New to m4/3... which one to choose E-P3, GX1?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by jhosper, Mar 27, 2012.

1. jhosper

jhosper New to Mu-43

Mar 27, 2012
    Green Bay, WI
    Ok, so I'm completely new to m4/3 but have tried several at my local Best Buy store to get a feel for them. I really enjoyed the touch to focus system on the GF2 & GF3 but wasn't overly impressed by the JPG quality of the Panasonic's. I found that the EPL3 had lightning fast focus but lacked the integrated flash which I think I would want. I also wasn't keen on the flippy-out screen & don't think I would use it much.

Reading up on DPReview, the EP3 seems to fit the bill well. It has the built in flash, touch screen & comes with all the bells & whistles. It is however spendy when new. In the classifieds it is a little more reasonable though.

Ideally, I want to use this camera for taking pictures of our wedding (outdoor ceremony / indoor reception). There it will be used by my sister as secondary pictures next to our wedding photographer (Canon DSLR user). And also for creating family pictures & travel photos after the wedding (going to Sonoma/Napa for honeymoon).

I have never used DSLR's & have a smaller budget (~$800) to work with. I would like something I can use for everything rather than supplementing another camera.

What are you suggestions on camera & lens?

2. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Given your limited budget, I would heavily consider the lower end cameras and invest in some lenses instead. For the wedding (indoor part at least) and probably your travel photos you would probably be better off getting a faster lens for low-light rather than being stuck with the kit lens. For 800ish you could get the E-PM1 and the 20mm 1.7 which might be a better compromise than using the built-in flash (which is weak obviously).

3. jhosper

jhosper New to Mu-43

Mar 27, 2012
    Green Bay, WI
    Thanks for your input. Would it better for me to consider faster lenses or using hot shoe / off camera flash? I have looked at Metz mecablitz 24AF-1 hot shoe flash and it seems like I could use that indoors.

Also, I wasn't too fond of the menu system & 16:9 screen on the E-PM1... should I consider starting with a used camera instead?

4. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I THINK oly uses capacitive touch screen(iphoneish), and Panay uses resistive.... Don't they? Something to check into n consider.

I'd go epm1 & 20/1.7 as well for you

- Eliot

5. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Depending on your shooting style, you might be ok with an earlier generation, used Pen. There's no improved image quality from the newest models to the previous ones, only improved autofocus performance. So if you don't mind slower AF, you could save even more money there. You might be able to get an E-Pl1/or EP2/EPL2 with a VF2 viewfinder for the same price as the E-P3. Maybe even fit in a lens or flash upgrade as well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jhosper

jhosper New to Mu-43

Mar 27, 2012
    Green Bay, WI
    Which models offer the touch to focus/touch to shoot feature? I really enjoyed that part of the experience with the Panasonic's.

7. rdearth53

rdearth53 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2012
    Wadsworth, Ohio
    So far, the Olympus E-P3 is the only Olympus m4/3 camera to feature touch to focus. However, most Panasonic cameras do have it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

8. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would suggest Olympus EPL2 body and then add Panasonic 14 mm 2.5 and Olympus 45 mm 1.8 lenses to that . This should fit ur budget and will get u exellent results for ur wedding .
    Cheers

9. rdearth53

rdearth53 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2012
    Wadsworth, Ohio
    I agree with Bhupinder, I have the E-PL2 and love it as well! It is around the same price as the E-PM1, even cheaper used, and has a 4:3 aspect ratio screen and more manual controls that you would most likely enjoy! I do not regret my purchase one bit!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

10. Zanr Zij

Zanr Zij Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2012
    Should I buy GX1 brandnew with 14-42 PZ X Kit lens @750$?

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Not unless you can afford to replace that lens with something else. ;)

12. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Not X lens

After 2yrs of total satisfaction with my Pany GF1 + 14-45 & 20mm, I recently upgraded to GX1+ 14-42X.

The GX1 is a worthy successor to the GF1 and I am delighted with it in all aspects, better IQ at high ISO, faster focus, better build quality (GF1 was superb), great grip and the touch screen has it's uses.

The 14-42X lens is another story entirely - mine was awful, soft focus and fiddly switches (I suspect it is designed more for video than still) - I have since parted company with mine and traded it + 20mm in for the 25mm f1.4 pany lumix lens - no regrets and a very, very worthy partner for the GX1!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't think it was designed for anything besides being physically short, personally. Video has even stricter requirement for fast, smooth, accurate manual focus ring than stills. The switch on the Lumix X Power-Zoom lens is no good for either. If you can't focus that thing quickly enough to shoot stills, you definitely can't do it in video. I've shot many professional video cameras, and never once have I had one that uses anything but large, buttery smooth rings on the lens for both focus and zoom.

Both the focus and zoom switches are the most tedious slow things I've seen on a camera before. Anybody who's shot with a point-and-shoot should know how tedious and frustrating it is to wait for that slow W-T power-zoom, and this focus switch is much worse than the zoom. So why would you want to go that far backwards after using a system camera with real lenses which can snap instantly into position with a small twist?

• Like Like x 2
  14. Zanr Zij

Zanr Zij Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2012

Thank you! How about the screen? Is it good under day light? ( Sunny ) I love OLED screen or Viewfinder. But LVF2 for GX1 hardly to buy in Vietnam.
    I alson love the size of 14-42 X lens. I already got 20mm 1.7, 14m 2.5, 14-45mm and Olym 14-150mm. My lenses work slower on E-P3, seemly faster ( AF ) on GF3. I think GX1 suit for faster AF win Pany lenses! :43:

15. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Good screen

I do find the creen on the GX1 better in bright sun than the previous GF1 screen but have to admit to having the LVF2 that I always use for my street work on sunny days - it is superb and a world apart from the prvious LVF1 that I owned with the GF1.

Luckily, I had enough sense to keep my original 14-45 and use that + the incredible 25mm f1.4 and the new 45-175X lens (jury still out on 45-175 as it appears ok but not as good as my previous 45-200).

The GX1 is an absolute winner though and it produces great images at high ISO that the GF1 could not get near.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Zanr Zij

Zanr Zij Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2012
    Feature and performance maybe GX1 win but how do you think about price/performance on my price/deal ~ 750$ for brandnew body + 14-42mm PZ kit?