1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New to M4/3: GH2 or GX1

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Groover, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Groover

Groover Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 9, 2012
    I am new to the forum and appreciate your patience. I am posting today because I am tired of taking blurry, dark and red-eyed pictures of my family and life with an i-phone and with a full house of young kids I don't have enough hands for a big camera, a dedicated video camera. A print catalog for the NEX-7 sold me on mirrorless and the GX1 with the compact 14-44 got me excited about the size and portability of m4/3.

I carried a 35mm almost everywhere as a kid so the hobby side of photography is very appealing. In addition capturing the standard family fun we also have a large yard and a place at the lake that gives me some closeup action of vultures, hawks, pelicans, eagles, foxes and some dangerous young fisherman and swimmers.

>GX1 is appealing to me do to the small size, the solid metal construction and portability. Not having a built in EVF scares me as I am in full sun a lot. GX1 plus EVF is essentially the same price as a GH2.

>GH2 is really a special camera given the video capabilities and this site proves the stills are awesome especially for someone with my limited skills. There will always be solid information and learning tools with the GH2 while the GX1 looks like it will be forgotten as soon as the GX2 is released. I like the EVF and flip screen for kid/self portraits, video, etc. The GH2 will probably become more desirable after the GH3 is fully available and the price is getting good.

>The OMD is really appealing but I can probably pick up a Pan 20, Pan 14-45 or 14-44 and soon a Pan 100-300 with a Panasonic GX1 or GH2 for nearly the same price with the current Panasonic lens special.

Finally, my wife cares nothing for photography but will need to be able to pick up the camera and capture a treat it like a point and shoot.

There's my story...thanks for your patience and I appreciate your observations and recommendations.

Thanks.

2. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Welcome to the forum! Lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here.

Functionally, I don't believe the GX1 is that smaller than the GH2 imo, especially with EVF. I wouldn't get it because you think that it will fit in your pocket easily. Just imo. That said, it definitely looks cooler, so if style is any consideration, its a nicer looking camera to take out and about.

If video is a major factor with the kids, it would be hard to recommend anything but the GH2 if you want the best video support in m43.

Is there a reason why you wouldn't consider a G5? Same sensor as the GH2, so leading IQ on the panasonic side. It's got the EVF and tilt screen like the GH2 as well and is somewhere in between the 2 size wise..a good value cam. Has some neat features like HDR mode and silent shutter too.

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Other than size, I'm really not sure what the GX1 has going for it over a GH2. I haven't checked where G5 pricing is relative to the GH2 right now, but it's likely a good option as well.

4. Groover

Groover Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 9, 2012
    G5 v GH2

G5 is on special for $699 (special till 10/20) and GH2 is $785 both with the 14-42mm. So really no significant price difference between G5 and GH2.

5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    The G5 has the multi aspect sensor disabled. Only the GH2 uses the multi aspect sensor functionality.

Gordon

6. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I personally find the G5 to feel too plasticky from the brief amount of time I spent playing with one at a camera shop, and the shape unappealing. The GH2, even though its already 2-year old design, feels a little better built to me. I would go for the GH2 also because of the mult aspect sensor, but all these are just my personal opinion. In actual usage, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the performance of either camera.

7. Groover

Groover Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 9, 2012
    So it looks like the GH2 is the way to go. The G5 actually looks cleaner but I already thought the GH2 I held was plastcky to say the G5 is more so is not promising. GH2 has best in class Video, solid photos, no compromise on aspect ratio, built in EVF, reversible screen... The GX1 is sexy, semi pocketable and just looks solid. Too bad screen is fixed and the EVF is huge.

8. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    If you're going to get into serious video, the GH2 is peerless in the MFT world. It's on the large side, however, which makes it less appealing to me as a grab-and-go camera.

I'm currently using the G5 and the GX1. I'm finding myself reaching for the GX1 more frequently, probably because it's a more compact package. Also, I prefer the build of the GX1, especially the buttons. I thought I'd like the articulating screen of the G5, having previously had Panasonic and Canon cameras with this feature; however, it's been more of an annoyance than an advantage for me. Maybe the G5 will grow on me; I suppose I have to use it more to get comfortable with it

9. Groover

Groover Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 9, 2012
    Unfortunately for now this will be my primary camera with the iPhone as my backup. GH2 is "best all around" and GX1 is "grab and go" favorite. How much difference in real world size between the two with say the 20mm? How would you carry each to make them easy to have with you as much as possible? Thanks...I'm waffling here I know.

10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I haven't held a G5, but in all honesty I don't think the G3 feels any worse than the GH2 (I own both), and I would guess the G5 is in the same ballpark.

One reason to consider the G5 over the GH2: I'm guessing you plan to shoot jpeg, rather than shoot raw and post process your images. Everything I've seen says the G5 has better jpegs than the GH2. Jpeg output from the GH2 isn't it's strong suit, although you can adjust the default camera settings to improve them.

11. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I couldn't stand the G3 grip - or lack thereof. G5 has an excellent grip. Difference is night and day, especially if you intend to use long/heavy lenses.

12. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    GX1 Jpeg engine is much improved supposedly. Important if you are a Jpeg shooter. Other than that, there's not much similarity between the cameras. Only get the GX1 if portability and small size if very important to you. If it is not then any of the GH or G cameras are better deals because the viewfinder is built-in and the grip is better.

13. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I agree with you about the grip, but that's not what we were talking about. The discussion was about build quality. The G3 is fine for it's market segment.

14. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I guess I misinterpreted your comment about "feel". Feel to me is how the camera fits in my hand, weight, and balance; whether it's "plasticky" is not an important consideration.

15. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I have handled all three cameras at camera shops before. I found the built quality of the G3 to be similar to the GH2, but when I picked up the G5, it just felt cheap. Maybe it's the reduced weight in a camera sized similar to the GH2 which makes it felt cheap. I supposed lighter weight and better ergonomics are good things, but unfortunately, it just doesn't feel right to me...

16. Groover

Groover Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 9, 2012
    Thanks for all the feedback. I believe I will go with the GH2. I really Ike the idea of not having compromised on stills or video. I think I will end up enjoying video and doing some fun production and editing with my kids...who knows maybe the GX2 or Gx3 with a tilt screen an built in viewfinder.

I want to pick up 2 lenses with a couple discounted at time of purchase...low light and portable PL20; all around 14-44 or 14-45; video and distance PL14-140; and for birds and sports PL100-300. What I don't do know Ill try to get over time.

Thanks for your feedback.