New to M4/3 cameras

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jlstuver, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Jlstuver

Jlstuver Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 13, 2013
    Okay so I am just switching over to the micro 4/3 camera from my Canon 7D that I shot with previously. In between I bought a Fuji x100s mirrorless camera which I loved but didn't like not being able to change the lens.
    Anyway this may be a really stupid question but I am going to ask anyway because I am baffled. Right now I just have the 14-42mm kit lens(just bought a 45mm:) ) when I shoot a picture at the 42mm focal length and then load it to my computer I get the jpeg image that looks like the focal length I was at and the RAW image that is way further back meaning you can see way more than what you thought you were shooting. Why is this? Am I crazy?

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Can you upload pictures in order to see the problem.

3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Two.things that could play a part:

1. Sensor aspect ratio - m4/3 sensors are 4x3, so raw is 4x3. If you shoot 3x2 or 16x9 JPEG, the raw will still be 4x3. You can view and apply the original crop in Olympus Viewer, but I'm not sure about other converters.

2. Lens correction - m4/3 bodies and raw converters perform automatic software lens distortion correction based on the profile from the lens itself. Other raw converters may not do this out of the box.

4. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    3. Digital Tele-converter. If you have this active, the JPEG is cropped, the Raw is uncropped. Now that's a a BIG difference.

• Like Like x 1
  5. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    That's not true. When I shoot a different aspect my Raws reflect that. I shoot Panasonic though, maybe that's an Oly thing.

This is most likely the answer.

6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I stand corrected. Preserving full sensor output for raw could definitely be an Olympus-only thing ;)

7. Jlstuver

Jlstuver Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 13, 2013
    Okay I am guessing it's this how do I turn it off? I have looked through the menu and don't see it.
    Thanks for all the replies so far:)

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mu-43 mobile app

8. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    It depends what camera you have. On my E-M5 press Menu and there it is! At the bottom of the list.

9. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    It may be an Olympus thing. I shoot 3:2 JPEG's on my E-M1 but the RAW's retain the 4:3 ratio.

10. Jlstuver

Jlstuver Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 13, 2013
    Thank you, I don't know hoe I completely missed it when it was right in front of my face:rolleyes:

11. Jlstuver

Jlstuver Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 13, 2013
    Oh and changing the tele converter to off fixed my problem just so everyone knows, thanks for all the replies!

12. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Glad it worked, welcome to the forum! :smile: