1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New to m4/3 and appreciative of this site!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by lollavid, Mar 14, 2013.

1. lollavid

lollavid New to Mu-43

Feb 28, 2013
    After much debate, I decided to make the switch to m4/3. My former system was a T3i with a Tamron 17-50 2.8 non-VC, Tamron SP 70-300, and Speedlite 430EX ii. I was basically at the point where I wanted a faster prime for videos and a replacement for the 17-50 which I found a bit too slow in AF and speed (but good sharpness). So I was looking at picking up a Sigma 30mm 1.4 and Canon 15-85. That was when I decided that something more compact would work better for my major subject- my family.

I am in the process of selling my Canon gear, but realistically expect to get in the range of 900€- after fees and shipping. If I'd bought the other two lenses, I'd have been in another probably 450€- or so (600€ for the lenses but recouping 150€ from the 17-50).
    Even though I was convinced that I would buy the OM-D, I saw the G5 on sale for 330€ w/ the kit lens and, after tons of research, decided to bite and to set up a prime kit. I have since purchased the 14mm (100€), 25mm (320€), 45mm (230€) and the 40-150 (40€) as well as the Nissin Di466 (60€). All told (after shipping), I've invested about 1200€ in my new system.

The biggest adjustment for me was the move to a prime setup. I feel like I've learned so much about photography by having to work within the confines of a particular focal length. Framing, bokeh, shutter speed, light... my pictures are better and more consistent by a mile. Of course switching lenses is a bit of an annoyance sometimes, but it forces me to think proactively about what I want to accomplish.

I love the layout and interface of the camera, the swiveling screen, electronic shutter, handling, and portability. I have my entire system in a small Crumpler bag which I modded to hang the two prime lenses by taking a sock from my 2 year-old, cutting it in half and sewing it inside. :)
    So I just wanted to say a general "thanks" to the folks here for providing a wealth of information about these systems.

WzQ1q9u.

r8hNLUN.

bRE3JSj.

• Like Like x 15
  2. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    That's a lovely soft focus on the face in No.1, is it the PL25mm?

3. lollavid

lollavid New to Mu-43

Feb 28, 2013
    That's the 45mm. The second 2 are from the 20mm before I switched to the 25mm.

4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Great shots, and so much for the 45 bring "too clinical".

5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Welcome! I agree that the first portrait really is lovely (both the subject and the image).

I agree with your assessment that using primes can be a great way to really push your skills forward. Whenever I shoot with a zoom, I tend to get a little lazy.

Glad that you're liking the :43: system so far and I'm anxious to see where it takes you. Keep sharing those images!

6. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Lovely photos! Especially that first one. Looks like you're making full use of your new kit. (I support your choice of lenses ;) )

Welcome to the site! :)

7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome aboard!

Regards,

Jim

8. lollavid

lollavid New to Mu-43

Feb 28, 2013
    Thanks for the positive comments everyone! Just got the 25mm today and so far I'm loving it.

9. stingx

stingx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Weird, NJ
    Hugh Douche
    Still my favorite lens. Love it to bits.

10. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    First Welcome.

Second, since you started out saying this I think you probably made a good call of the G5 over the E-M5. For me video is "well OK I can shoot a video if I want", not something I base any buying decision on. But based on the reviews/previews I've seen on the G5 it does video very well. The body / handling will also probably be an easier transition from the Canon as well.

Good luck with the sales, cute family. While yes I do love the first image, that second with a little attitude is nice.

11. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome to the forum! Those are beautiful photos - I am finding primes to be a lot more fun than the zooms that I used to work with. I very rarely touch a zoom any more (Except the 100-300). :smile:

12. stingx

stingx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Weird, NJ
    Hugh Douche
    Really love that 1st picture! Welcome to the forum.

13. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Welcome and I started my photographic journey on primes and have come round back to them for the most part.

I got rid of a pair of Nikon D7000's and went full mft after experiencing the E-M5. It's been a fun journey and changed my photography for the better also -- or so I tell myself, lol.

14. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Welcome! LOVE the first photo! :smile:

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!