New to M4/3’s

abarth16v

New to Mu-43
Hi all i have just recently treated myself to a used and well cared for Olympus EM1 Mk2 with the 12-40 F2.8 pro lens and having come from canon aps-c cameras i am very impressed so far by the sturdiness and quality feel to it!. I shoot mainly motorsport and aviation and feel that hopefully i have made a good choice?,i have also ordered a pre owned 40-150 F4-5.6 R lens to get me started and would be so grateful for any help hints and tips on this journey!

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Hi all i have just recently treated myself to a used and well cared for Olympus EM1 Mk2 with the 12-40 F2.8 pro lens and having come from canon aps-c cameras i am very impressed so far by the sturdiness and quality feel to it!. I shoot mainly motorsport and aviation and feel that hopefully i have made a good choice?,i have also ordered a pre owned 40-150 F4-5.6 R lens to get me started and would be so grateful for any help hints and tips on this journey!

EM1 Mk2 and 12-40mm f2.8 are a great combination. Welcome.

Kae1

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ken
Welcome to the forum!

I have been shooting motorsports with m4/3 for about five years now and upgraded to the EM1 Mk2 at the end of last year and found it a major improvement over my previous cameras. The burst rate of the EM1 Mk2 and improvements to AFC I found particularly good so I think you've made a good choice there. The 40-150 R lens will be a good starter and will allow you to see how you get on using the camera before deciding what focal length you aspire to. There are many excellent telephoto lenses in the m4/3 range which will be tempting you before long. ;)

As regards hints and tips there is a thread in this forum for motorsports pictures and it has given me a lot of inspiration of what can be achieved by m4/3s in the "right hands", so I would suggest it would be worth a good look. When you subscribe to the forum you can also see the exposure details for the images posted too. I previously used APS-C cameras, including a Canon 7d and still use my Canon 70-200 f4L with adapter with m4/3 cameras albeit in manual focus mode. For me, holding the lighter weight of m4/3 equipment with long focal lengths required quite a lot of practice as did getting used to the EVF of mirrorless cameras with moving subjects but it was worth it in the end.

Best of luck with your new journey!

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Set the EVF:
Refresh rate to fast. = Gear > D2 > Frame rate = high
Screen refreshes faster. Better for action.​
View time to 0 = wrench > rec view = OFF
This is the image display time after you shoot. When I shoot sports, I do not want to see what I just shot (I know what I just shot), I want to keep track of the action for the next shot.​

Shoot a LOT, so everything becomes instinctive.
Example, in FAST action, when you want to zoom wide, you don't want to turn the zoom ring in the wrong direction, to a tight view, cuz you loose the shot. This has to be instinctive, like drive a stick shift.

I use the e-shutter at continuous low. This lets the camera autofocus for each frame at 18fps.

abarth16v

New to Mu-43
Well thank you all for your words of encouragement and advice it’s really appreciated and as soon as events are back on here in the uk i will be out and about practicing and hopefully 🤞post some images up on here!!

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
And get a few spare batteries, if your shoots run much longer than 3 hours.
  • I think the EM1-mk2 with your 12-40/2.8 will run about 3-1/2+ hours continuous. It may go longer, I did not keep good notes of this lens/camera combo when I was shooting basketball.
  • With the 40-150R it should run longer. But I have not shot long enough with just this lens to get a feel for it's battery usage.
And when you get spare batteries, number them, so you use through them in order, and you can keep track of any that starts to "misbehave."

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
:Welcome:
There are some really good lens options out there for your subject matter. One place where M43 can really shine is in the long-lens category, where weight savings can be had. If you really get into it and have the money, the 40-150 Pro would be a great option for you.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
:Welcome: to this friendly forum.

scb

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Steve
Welcome to the forum! You're starting out with a great body and lenses. Depending on what you like to do with your gear other than motorsports, consider adding a prime lens or two to your bag as the f/1.8 prime lenses are a real bargain. And, you may want to consider one of the teleconverters for the 40-150 Pro if you want a bit more reach, but be aware of their reduction of the lowest f/ stop.
Enjoy!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom