New to M 4/3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by billinvegas, May 12, 2015.

1. billinvegas

billinvegas Mu-43 Rookie

May 10, 2015
    Long time Nikon user here.
    Considering getting out of my crop bodies, and sticking with full frame and M4/3.
    Probably will have some questions for you folks...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    You will find many people came from there.
    And once you have adjusted to M43 and your back has stopped aching you may find that the full frame kit gets to spend more time in the cupboard.

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Welcome Bill. I think you'll find more than a few like minds here, who can't quite give up everything that comes with full frame, but appreciate the overall value that comes with m4/3s.

4. billinvegas

billinvegas Mu-43 Rookie

May 10, 2015
    Thanks folks...

Actually, aching back is part of the reason for the potential switch.

Used to be able to carry a DSLR, and a shoulder bag with additional lenses, flash, & misc. all day long.

That got problematic with some neck/back issues- switched to a ThinkTank belt system. That sufficed for a while, but even then, the weight on my hips and shoulder started bothering me.

So, I'm investigating M 4/3 - I think I should be able to deal with the reduced weight for a couple (hopefully more) years...

On the fence about keeping the APS-C stuff, but will definitely hold on to the FX gear.

5. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    Well you can slink in slowly. I just think the system offers great balance. I use cameras hiking, biking, traveling, strolling on streets, and I feel I can take the camera and a lens or two pretty much anywhere. But all systems represent some compromises.

6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Welcome, what bodies do you have? (FX & DX) What things do you shot with the FX & DX systems? What things are you thinking of using the m4/3 to shoot?

7. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    One possibility to bootstrap a new lens kit is to adapt some of the lenses you already own. For mechanical manual focus lens you need nothing but a cheap dumb adapter.

To keep part of the electronic working you'll need a more expensive adapter (Kipon, Metabone, etc.). AFAIK right now no one supports AF for Nikon yet.

8. Chazzz

Chazzz Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Washington State
    Welcome, billinvegas! I'm also a Nikon shooter. I had a D300 for several years, then upgraded to the D800E in March 2013. But I picked up my first µ43 kit (the Panasonic Lumix GF1) in March 2010 and almost instantly fell in love. I've upgraded µ43 bodies twice, and am now using the Lumix GX7.

If I want the 36 MP of the Nikon, or if I want to use my (still slightly new-to-me) RadioPopper Jr2 stuff, then I will reach for the Nikon. This is my basic decision tree:

Do I need 36 megapixels? Yes: Nikon; No: next...
    Do I need off-camera flash? Yes: Nikon + RadioPopper Jr2; No: next...
    Do I need macro? Yes: Nikon + Micro-Nikkor 105mm; No: next...
    Do I need ultra-wide angle? Yes: Nikon + 10-20mm [DX lens]; No: next...

Then, if I've not settled on Nikon by this point:
    Do I want to lug around a heavy kit? Yes: Nikon; No: GX7

Because I was curious just now, I got out my kitchen scale:
    Nikon D800E + Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8: 2.022 kg (4.45 lbs)
    Lumix GX7 + Lumix 12-35mm f/2.8: 728 g (1.60 lbs)

Nikon weighs in at over 2.5x the weight of the Panasonic!

I am one of those guys who has debated selling my entire Nikon kit. I'm not a professional photographer, don't really do portrait photography, and rarely print anything — especially not poster-sized or larger. And I'm usually fine setting up a tripod and using the self-timer when interior available light is insufficient for hand-holding the GX7. So I find more and more that I "settle" for taking the GX7. By the time I sold the Nikon stuff, I could easily afford an ultra-wide angle lens, a lens to cover the 70-200mm range (35-100mm in µ43 terms), and decent a macro lens and still have money left over. I'd better stop talking now though, otherwise Nikon might end up on eBay this afternoon!

Again, welcome! Let us know what you end up with.