1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New to M 4/3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Scotty707, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Scotty707

Scotty707 New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2015
    Northern California
    Hi everyone. I just got my first Micro Four-Thirds camera - a second-hand E-PL1. I've mostly been a DSLR user.

I haven't gotten a chance to use the E-PL1 much yet, but I'd appreciate any tips on how to get the most out of it. So far I only have the Olympus 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 and 15mm f/8 lenses.

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Welcome!

The m43 system is fantastic and once you get used to it, you'll find all kinds of interesting ways of using it.

First, just use the lens you have and get familiar with the system. The menu system is quite unique and takes some time to wrap your head around.

After that, is to seriously think able investing in at least one prime lens for optimum IQ and low light shooting. One of the greatest assets of the m43 system is that the prime lenses can be shot wide open and are as sharp as you'll ever want.

Depending on your budget and shooting preference, I'd look into something in the range, like an Oly 17/1.8, 25/1.8 or the 45/1.8. Panasonic makes great primes too, so if you find something there you like in equivalent focal length, you'll have a great quality choice as well.

Most of all, enjoy the system for what it provides to you, make great images and try not to get all mixed up in the equivalence debates, hi ISO squabbles. Once you've used the system enough, you'll know it's strengths and weaknesses. A lot of which have been addressed in newer models.

Looking forward to your contribution to the forums!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The first thing I'd recommend for any Olympus body is to turn on the Super Control Panel. Instructions for doing so can be found here. This feature allows you a way to quickly control all manner of settings from a single screen, which is particularly useful with the E-PL1 due to it's button-centric interface and lack of dial controls.

The E-PL1 is a fine camera. It's what I started with in the system and I still use mine regularly despite having acquired other bodies. However, its user interface is (along with the E-PM1 & E-PM2) the least DSLR-like in the entire ecosystem. If you find that you don't get along well with it due to this, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater and give up on the entire :mu43: system. There are many other (many quite affordable) options in the system which eschew the point-and-shoot-style interface of the E-PL1.

Andrew's advice to shoot with the kit lens to familiarize yourself with the system is solid. Once you've built a level of confidence and want to expand your lens selection, the first thing I would suggest is one of the pancake primes (Panasonic 14/2.5 or Panasonic 20/1.7) or pancake zooms, which pair quite well with the E-PL1 and make a very capable, jacket-pocketable combo.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    While not as fast apertures as the Olympus or Panasonic primes take a look at the Sigma primes. Hard to beat for the price.