New to M 4/3 in Greater Manchester, UK

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Judderman62, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Judderman62

Judderman62 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester
    Hi All

Name's Mike and I been using cameras for some 34 years or so starting with a Kodak 110 film camera , before going on to a Canon AE-1.

Had various digital cameras and now have 4 DSLR's, a Canon G10, a Pentax Q, an Olymous OM1 (35mm film) and today bought a Panny GX1

Main areas of interest, photography wise, are dereliction and abandonment, historical buildings/heritage and in last couple of years Goth/steampunk/war time/1940's type events and the wonderful folk attending these.

Fancy dabbling in street photography but not sure I'll have the courage :(

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Manchester United!!!

Sorry a good friend of mine is from Manchester so we say that a lot :biggrin:

3. Judderman62

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester
  4. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Welcome to the forum, Mike :thumbup:
  5. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

Hi Mike welcome aboard
  6. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Eh up! (This is local greeting for those from further away) I'm from just up t' road in Lancs
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Welcome aboard! Look forward to seeing some photos. :smile:
  8. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Welcome to Greater Manchester from Lesser Detroit :biggrin:.

Glad to have you with us, Mike!

9. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Welcome Mike from a fellow northener (Born in Bolton, lived in Chester for many years now living down south)!.

Glad to see you also have the GX1, it is my Mu43 camera with an assortment of lenses and it delivers superb quality images as well.

You may find that if and when we get a summer with bright days, you may struggle a little with LCD visibility - I picked up the LVF2 as well and for me it is well worth the investment, lens wise - if you are looking for a good 25mm (50mm in 35mm) there are some good deals around on the 20mm F1.7 or the even better 25mm f1.4 that is an amazing lens.

Enjoy the camera though, I have had mine over a year since upgrading from the GF1 and have only good things to say about it.

Anyway, enjoy this site, it is well worth the time and effort invested.
  10. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Welcome to the forum, another northerner from the other end of the M62 and fellow GX1 user
  11. Judderman62

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester
    thanks for the warm welcome all :)

as regards EVF, just in case I find I really can't cope without one - Greater Mancunia being renowned for those long, hot, sunny summers (;)) are there any cheapo Hong Kong/Chinese knock off alternatives to the panasonic £200 one ? is there a non electronic, just a plain cheap n nasty bit of glass in a plastic frame alternative ?