1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New to ILCs, Socal

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by rloewy, May 5, 2014.

1. rloewy

rloewy Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2014
    Ron
    Hi there, Ron, from the North county San Diego area,

First time user of any kind of ILC, came to it in a very roundabout way.

In my spare time I am writing software that takes images and tries to create non-photorealistic images that look like paintings. While I started with digital cameras in the late 90s, I usually went with very simple stuff with the idea that it is good enough for my needs (ran through several early Canon point and shoot, a Panasonic FZ10 when the 12x zoom was a big deal, a Kodak camera with 2 built-in lens, one of them a "wide" 24mm one. In recent years I was converted to a smart-phone camera user (specifically an old Nokia Lumia 900 which is surprisingly good for a smart-phone and such an old one at that camera).

One of my excuses was that the software will remove a lot of the sharpness of the images anyway to make them seem more like paintings, so quality was not that important, but with enough experience it is clear that this is just not true, even if the result does not look like the original image, the better the source data is (the better the raw images are), the better results for my software targets.

After a bit of research (which this forum helped with) - decided to dip my toes in the water and value portability over anything else, so took advantage of the latest E-pm2 deals and got myself one of those last week with the idea that I will learn my way around it, start accumulating system pieces and if I decide to, in the future, upgrade the body. So far, so good, love the speed and the quality even with the bundled 14-42mm kit lens (not a surprise, I am sure, coming from a smartphone camera).

I have some Minolta glass lens from the film days that I will try to adapt to the camera and play with as well, especially a fast 50mm prime that I am interested in testing.

Thanks for the resources, and hopefully I will not ask too many silly questions as I get my sea legs.