New to GH2

taotao7

Mu-43 Regular
Hello everybody,

My new GH2 is on its way and I want to get ready for it. I’ve decided to buy it, mainly for video filming purpose (but stills shooting as well). I got it with the 14-42mm kit and now looking to buy some accessories and lenses. Would like to spend something like 500$ (probably a bit more).

So please, will love to hear some recommendations for lenses, memory cards (how fast and how big) or any other equipment which is a must for a guy that this is his first hdslr.
Thanks,
Avi

sprinke

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Debi
I've been pretty happy using 16GB class 10 memory cards. In my tests, I've been able to shoot video continuously at highest video resolutions until the memory card is completely full -- about 1.5 hours.

I've found that the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 lens gives a wonderful look to both videos and still photographs, but it's a bit difficult to find right now.

You might want to look into buying some filters ... just make sure you get high-quality brands. A UV0 filter will protect your lens, a circular polarizer is always useful to have around, or you might want to experiment with some neutral density filters to achieve long-shutter effects in daytime (e.g., waterfalls).

Enjoy! The GH2 is also my first interchangeable lens camera.

taotao7

Mu-43 Regular
thanks for the replay!
i've read somewhere in the forum that the Pan 20mm is noisey in video, have you experienced the same problem?

regarding memory card, 1.5 hours, is it in 1080p 24fp mode?

Which other lenses you use?

photoSmart42

Mu-43 Top Veteran
i've read somewhere in the forum that the Pan 20mm is noisey in video, have you experienced the same problem?

My copy of the 20 is certainly noisy for video (even for stills). It tends to hunt focus a lot, and it's not a quiet lens by any means.

Which other lenses you use?

The 14-140 is a wonderful general purpose and video lens. Optimized for video it means it's very quiet, and the IQ is actually pretty darn good. I use that on my GH1 a lot.

taotao7

Mu-43 Regular
photoSmart42 said:
My copy of the 20 is certainly noisy for video (even for stills). It tends to hunt focus a lot, and it's not a quiet lens by any means.

Would the 14mm one works better?

The 14-140 is a wonderful general purpose and video lens. Optimized for video it means it's very quiet, and the IQ is actually pretty darn good. I use that on my GH1 a lot.

The problem is that the 14-140 separately is very expensive... Is there any other lens that has been optimized for video?
Also, what does it means IQ? (sorry, really new in the area...)
Thanks

sprinke

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Debi
Yes, I have to 14-140mm lens and use it as my general purpose lens.

IQ means image quality.

yes, that was 1.5 hours in 1080-24fps mode.

Wasabi Bob

Mu-43 All-Pro
14-140

All around, the 14-140 will be money well spent. I have several lens and I find that in 80% of my shooting this lens is my 1st choice. Yes, it's a bit pricey, but most good glass is.

nickthetasmaniac

Mu-43 All-Pro
If you're serious about video have a look at getting some old manual lenses with an adapter: I use several Pentax prime lenses with a Fotodiox PK-m43 adapter ($25) and they work wonderfully.

These lenses were designed for manual focus and are very smooth, which is very handy when shooting video. They also tend to be quite fast and cheap (a Pentax 50/f1.4 can be had for $100 in VERY good condition).

The main accessory I'd get is a few spare batteries. The GH2 chews through batteries, especially when shooting video :/

Bokeh Diem

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think that there is a very real possibility that the GH2 really starts to come into its own using adpated lenses in video mode..... we've all been using legacy glass for years on the micro four thirds cams but here, on the GH2 in cinematic glory, here is where they are really starting to shine.

The use of fast primes and good quality glass has its place in this format and use, especially the QUIET and SMOOTH manual ones. Old, or new, it doesn't matter. Adapted or native (like the New Voigtlander 25mm 0.095 Nokton), try a single focal length for fun and to test your mettle as a photog.

I own the Pany 14-140mm and it is purposely designed for the GH2 in video. Not to knock it, but you don't get the shallow FOV control that is so necessary to reproduce cinematic feel.

Bokeh Diem

taotao7

Mu-43 Regular
thank you all for the replay. So buying a few adapted prime lens is the next move, any recommandations besides the Pentax 50/f1.4? also where do you buy your used lenses? Ebay or a specifec store?
and last question (for now) what do you think about the Panasonic 14mm or Oly 17mm?
thanks again!
Avi

nickthetasmaniac

Mu-43 All-Pro
I can highly recommend the Pentax 'K' and 'M' series lenses. These were the first two K-mount series and are entirely manual. They were made in their millions and are reasonably cheap and readily available. I'd avoid eBay and check out Pentax Forums, which is by far the best Pentax resource on the web. They also have an extensive review section.

I use the Fotodiox PK-m43 adapter which is cheap and fairly good quality. You can get better adapters from Voigtlander and Novoflex, but they are much more expensive...

There's lots of other brands that are worth a look but I'm only really familiar with Pentax, so I'll leave that to others :smile:

Real Name
Nic
thank you all for the replay. So buying a few adapted prime lens is the next move, any recommandations besides the Pentax 50/f1.4? also where do you buy your used lenses? Ebay or a specifec store?

It's hard to give you a right or wrong answer. You can have a look here for samples from a huge variety of adapted lenses. Personally I like Canon FD and Olympus OM lenses, whereas others may prefer Konica, Pentax, Nikon, Minolta, etc. With older lenses you do have to allow for sample variance due to age and wear and tear. If you buy one old lens that is a bit of a dud you shouldn't assume that every other lens made by that manufacturer is equally bad.

taotao7

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks again for the advise. regarding the panasonic 20mm, can i use it in Manual focus? and if yes, do you think it will serve me well for video?

and another rookie question: how do you manual focus? i mean do you look in the LCD or the View Finder (is it comfortable and good enough?).

Thank you for your patience,
Avi

sprinke

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Debi
Yes, you can set any (auto-focus) lens in manual focus mode.

I prefer looking in the viewfinder for manual focusing. On the GH2, if you are in manual focus mode, if you press the wheel button in it will bring up the focus assist so you can fine-tune the focus.

taotao7

Mu-43 Regular
sprinke said:
Yes, you can set any (auto-focus) lens in manual focus mode.

I prefer looking in the viewfinder for manual focusing. On the GH2, if you are in manual focus mode, if you press the wheel button in it will bring up the focus assist so you can fine-tune the focus.

I think I know this function, I saw it on a Panasonic Tm700 video camera and it is very useful. Didn't know the GH2 has it.

Does the focus assist works with all lens? Even those attached with an adapter, or just M34 panasonic an Oly?

taotao7

Mu-43 Regular
Yes, any lens!

WOW those are amazing news! so now it's time to hunt some used primes :)

OK, the buy list should be:
1. 2 x 16GB memory card (sandisc class 10 should be enough right?)

2. 1 x extra Batarry (or even 2)

3. The Pana 20mm lens + a few second hand used primes (thanks for the recomandations).

4. Filters - any recomandation in this area?

5. Bag - Recomandation for the GH2 + 3-4 lense?

Thanks a lot guys for all your help, this info is very helpfull!:2thumbs:

Avi

kytra

Mu-43 Regular
From my experience, cheap filters yield not so good results in terms of resolution, flare resistance and so on.

So, try to get trusted brands like Hoya, B&W or, if you get knock-offs, pay attention to the above mentioned issues. I have cheap e-bay filters and I use them but I am assuming there could be an negative impact.

A must have, IMO, are ND filters because you'd want to get the widest aperture working, especially with the 20mm, and the limited shutter speed will not let you do that in bright light.

Circular polarisers are good to avoid reflections from water, windows and such (not reflections from metallic surfaces though) and to enhance the contrast and saturation of scenes, especially in bright light.

UV filters are for protection mostly, and, because they are kept always on the lens, it is best to be the multicoated type in order to minimize flare

Boatman

Mu-43 Veteran
Home: Windham, New Hampshire Boat: American Yacht
GH2 Options

Focus assist will work with any lens, native or adapted. The adapted lenes can be picked up on eBay quite cheaply. So far I have:

Takumar 1.4/50, 3.5/28 3.5/135, all from my Pentax camera days. The 28 makes a pretty good 'normal' lens but is so slow there is no point in using it place of the 14-140. The 1.4/50 is wonderful for low light, if soft at wide open. These lenses feel wonderful to use, solid, smooth, substantial.

Pentax 110 18mm and 24mm, all really small and light. Not terribly sharp but fun to use.

Konica Hexanon 4.0/200, initial results are that it is kind of soft, even stopped down and it seems to get a lot of red chroma on branches and such. Too soon to know for sure.

Konica Hexanon 2.0/40, will be at the house when I get home tonight!

Total investment, with adapters, about $175.

While we are on this post regarding GH2 functions, does anyone know if you can change the frame format in video mode? I've read the manual and looked at all the settings and can't see how you can set it other than 16:9 for video.

Something else you might want to pick up is a remote shutter release. The Panaonic one is expensive. The cheapo Chinese version ($15 with shipping direct from Shanghai) works fine though I can't figure out the Chinglish manual to use the more advanced features. :confused:

Latest threads

Top Bottom