new to g3 and some file writing oddness

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by djonesii, Aug 21, 2011.

1. djonesii

djonesii Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    Dear all;

I'm new to my G3, coming from a G1/EP-1.

When I write to a newly formatted card, all goes well.

Took the camera to a ball game, testing the 100-300/G3 combo, chimping all the while long. As I had a previous session that I wanted to save, did not format card.

Got home, no photos on the card from the ball game only previous shooting. Thought this was very weird as I tested, thought maybe I had some how only deleted that session, used recuva on card, no deleted files, only those recovered from the format.

Tested it, and this seems to the repeatable given my setting.

So, my question, has anyone else seen this, if so, what setting do I need to change, because this is very annoying behavior!

2. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    so, to be clear, it works fine if you stick a formatted card in? Or alternatively, works fine if you format the card in camera, then use it?

it's when you are shooting it when another "session" is on it that it fails? If so, is the other session from a different camera? Or from the G3?
  3. Lauzers

Lauzers Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2011
    if your previous session files are from another camera, the file numbering generated by the G3 will be sorted at different order on your card. This happened to me when i took a card shot from GF1, to a store with a G3 to test it out. I found the card has rearranged the order based on G3's file numbering.

Good luck
  4. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    If the original pics on the card were from a different camera, then there is your answer.
    The card MUST be formated in the camera it is being used in.
    Cards are cheap, you need at least 1 for each camera - false economy....
  5. djonesii

djonesii Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    card writing ......

A comment .... many cards, many cameras

I have a samsung, olympus, and two panasonics, and an Epson that all use some flavor of SD card.

In this case, it happened with a 16 gig card. MicroCenter Generic class 10.

Formated, (always in camera ) shot a whole suite of 20 frames/sec shots, downloaded, formatted.

Shot about 10 shots.

Put the camera up, then went to the ball game.

I'm sure that the file numbering rolled over, because there was a second folder in the DCIM higher level folder. I think this has to do with a FAT32(?) limit.

I've since formatted the card, and shot several sessions with it.

As stated above, there is some weirdness with file numbering, but in the ball game case, that did not happen.

I use lightroom to import, and on import, the photos show up by file, and in display, they show up by date, and all is well.

I will have to load up the card so that the second folder is made, and test a bit more.

6. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    have you tried a different card?