New to Forums! Have an adapter question!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by weaselnoze, Oct 1, 2011.

1. weaselnoze

weaselnoze Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 1, 2011
    Hey guys I just ordered an E-PL1 and wanted to grab an adapter for my nikon lenses.

I plan on just getting a cheapo from ebay but want to know how this is gonna work before i purchase..

I have the following lenses for my Nikon D70s:

Nikon 50mm f1.8 AF-S - no aperture ring
    Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM - no aperture ring
    Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro - WITH aperture ring

So if I read the adapted lens guide correctly, I wont be able to use the two lenses w/ no aperture ring, correct?

Nikon G AI AI-S Lens to Micro 4/3 M43 GF1 E-P1 Adapter | eBay

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    With that adapter you can adjust your aperture with your G lenses, but you're going to have to guess the f-stop though.

3. weaselnoze

weaselnoze Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 1, 2011
    'scuse my ignorance,

but i have Nikon F mount lenses, no? and without aperture rings on the lenses, i shoot at the smallest aperture right?

4. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Correct on both counts. Get the Voigtlander or Kipon adapter, don't waste your time with poorly machined crap. I've been burned with an ebay adapter, and don't recommend it.

5. weaselnoze

weaselnoze Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 1, 2011
    how did you get burned?

at $179.99 for the Voigtlander adapter, i think i might play with a $20 ebay adapter to see if i even like shooting with no AF on my nikon lenses...

edit: just googled the Kipon adapter and that seems much more reasonable at ~$75 (oh decisions, decisions)

6. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Make sure that it's the adapter with an aperture lever. I got burned because I decided to gamble with a Chinese adapter off ebay, and the fit is way too tight on the adapted-lens side. They don't have very precise machinery, so there's sample variation. Some copies will allow infinity focus, some will allow past infinity. Some are too loose, and some, like mine, are too tight. A good-quality adapter allows infinity focus, and it fits as snug as a factory lens mount: not loose with millimeters of play, and not too tight like mine.

Really, for the 50mm and 10-20mm, I wouldn't even worry about using them on your camera. While they're fine lenses, you aren't going to find a 20-40mm lens to be incredibly useful, and there's no point in paying more for an aperture lever just for the nifty fifty. Overall, are you planning to keep your D70? If not, you may consider trying to sell it on Craigslist or your Nikon forum, along with your lenses, to fund some m4/3 lenses. I still use my D200 a lot, but I don't really use any of my zooms or autofocus lenses with adapters on micro-4/3. For the price and size, you might as well pick up a used D40 instead of your D70, if you want to use your 50mm and 10-20mm lenses. Even the D80 is much smaller than your D70, because it's basically a D50 body with the insides of a D200. the adapter works best if you want to use some smaller manual-focus zooms, such as the manual-focus 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, etc.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Just get the Novoflex adapter with the blue aperture control ring. If you have a healthy collection of Nikon glass it would be a shame to waste it with no aperture control. The adapter may be a lot more than the cheap eBay one, but look at how much money you'll save on glass! Just one lens that you can use again is a lot more costly than the difference between the best adapter and the cheapest.

Amazon.com: Novoflex Adapter MFT/NIK for all Nikon Lenses to MicroFour Thirds Camera Bodies - Manual Aperture Control Ring for Nikkor G-Series Lenses: Camera & Photo

8. weaselnoze

weaselnoze Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 1, 2011
    thanks for the advice shnitz. i greatly appreciate it. I forgot that i read about the 2x effective focal length. sounds like my wide angle wont be so wide afterall...

also i took out my 50mm last night and noticed it DOES have an aperature ring. would you think it worth it to purchase an adapter for it or just find a native mu43 lens thats as fast as the 1.8?

also how about the macro 105mm sigma? is it gonna work well with an adapter?

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro will work very well. There is already a version of this lens in Four-Thirds mount.

You now have 2 out of 3 lenses with an aperture ring, and that includes all of your "fast" glass, and the only one left over is just a DX lens. With this new info, I would say go for the cheap eBay adapter... You shouldn't be disappointed, and at the cost of it you can still afford new native glass for your new Micro Four-Thirds system as well. You will also be able to find new legacy Nikon F glass inexpensively as well, probably better ones than the ones you have. :)

PS, there are two good alternatives to your 10-24mm in m4/3 mount, a very inexpensive 9-18mm and a not-so-inexpensive but very good quality 7-14mm f/4.

10. weaselnoze

weaselnoze Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 1, 2011
    awesome! thanks for your tips!

i'm convinced to get some sort of adapter (ebay or the kipon) knowing that it will work with my sigma 105mm.

11. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The Nikon and Sigma both work well enough to consider getting an adapter. The only similar lens to your 50mm is the new Olympus 45mm f/1.8, a nice portrait lens. It's definitely one to have, but if you can give up the size and autofocus, your 50mm will be nice as well, before you have to invest the $400 in the 45mm lens. Plus, having a 210mm macro will be great for you.

12. dpj

dpj Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2011
    I use the Sigma 10-20mm on a cheap EF adaptor, it is a great lens to use for video as it is quite sharp even at the 10mm end. You will find even restricted with fixed appertures this lens is still worth giving a go, i did and don't regret it.