New to forum

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by carl3, Oct 16, 2010.

1. carl3

carl3 New to Mu-43

Oct 16, 2010
    Atlanta, GA, USA area
    Long time user on fredmiranda and dpreview. Don't currently have four thirds gear, but have become interested in it. Recently sold my Nikon equipment (except two lenses still on market). Had D700 and requisite lenses for it. Health issues got me to where I can't carry heavy stuff around.

Hated to let go of the long lenses, but am adjusting my shooting to forget wildlife.

Currently using Leica Digilux 2 (2 of them), Panasonic LX3, and Ricoh CX2.

Been thinking of trying EPL1 when I can sell the remaining Nikon lenses, or maybe if I sell one of the D2's.

At any rate, looks like a good place to pick up tips on what works well and what doesn't. After years of Canon and Nikon, it is a different animal.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hello and welcome Carl ! Size and weight matters, that's clear.

3. roscd

roscd Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 2, 2010
    KL, Malaysia
    Welcome Carl. You have a good collection of camera.

4. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Carl, thanks for introducing yourself. I'm sorry that you've been challenged with health problems and hope they're under control.

Please make yourself at home here!

6. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
  7. carl3

carl3 New to Mu-43

Oct 16, 2010
    Atlanta, GA, USA area
    Thanks for the welcome and kind words, and thanks to BBW for the link.

• Like Like x 2
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Welcome! m43 is a fun format. It requires a bit more patience, IMO, than a DSLR, but it's certainly lightweight and easy to carry. If you buy/sell on FM, you can also find good used prices now, which makes getting into the system easier.

If you do make the jump, keep us posted and do share some early snaps and thoughts.

9. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Carl - plenty to glean here.

10. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Welcome to the board.

11. carl3

carl3 New to Mu-43

Oct 16, 2010
    Atlanta, GA, USA area
    I hope we will start to see some faster lenses come along. After years of f1.4, f2 and f2.8 lenses, not used to seeing such slow lenses. Even the short zooms are surprisingly slow. I guess the old Leica D2 will be used for a while yet. It is still hard to beat for what it does. The LX3 is nice for its limited range; size is a definite plus.

I am interested in more flexibility without the DSLR size and weight. I guess it remains to be seen how far Pana and Oly will take the format, and whether others will get on the wagon. It is a plus that Voigtlaender is going to add some lenses. I used some of their offerings on my D700 with very good results.

• Like Like x 2