New to forum, G2 owner, classic lenses

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Bugsi, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Bugsi

Bugsi New to Mu-43

Oct 5, 2011
    Greetings all,
    I just discovered this forum, but I've owned the G2 for about a year and it has taken over all of my photographic duties from my Canon 400D.

My main interest in the m4/3 cameras is the ability to use old lenses with adapters, while maintaining infinity focus capability. I have a nice collection of Canon FD lenses from the 1980's when I shot 35mm film with Canon A1 and AE1P bodies. Those cameras and their lenses sat unused for years while I shot point-and-shoot digital cameras, and finally broke down and bought a Canon EOS Rebel XTi (400D) in December 2006.

It got me into SLR digital photography, but I just hated the kit lenses (a pair of slow zooms, one short and one long). I did buy the Canon 50mm 1.8 lens for it, which really is a bargain, but I missed my FD 50/1.4.

Another hobby of mine is amateur astronomy, with three telescopes. I occasionally do prime focus astrophotography, usually of the moon, by directly attaching a camera to the telescope (the telescope basically becomes a really long fixed aperture lens). The G2 makes that so much better in so many ways. The articulating screen means I no longer have to contort underneath my scope to get a focus, and the live-view screen means I no longer have to crush my face into the tiny optical viewfinder. The live-view screen also amplifies the light so I can get a good view that doesn't black out, and the touchscreen zoom is a killer feature for dialing in fine focus on the telescope.

You can see why my 400D stays in the camera bag these days!

New life has been breathed into my Canon FD 200mm f/2.8 lens, and now I'm looking forward to using my Canon bellows for macro photography.

I was reading in the forums here of people using the El-Nikkor 50/2.8 enlarger lens for macro work. I'm considering getting one of those, and an L39 to m4/3 adapter. I'm seeing many ebay sellers offering L39 to m4/3 adapters, but most of them are in China and have many recent negatives in their feedback profiles. Is there a particular seller of L39 to m4/3 adapter that people have had good luck with and recommend?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Welcome to the forum.

Hello Bugsi,

Nice to have you with us. Great choice of camera bodies, and it sounds lke you already have some quality glass.

Looking forward to seeing your images!

Cheers from New England, Alan