New to camera world, question on GF3 i got

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by mltno, Dec 3, 2011.

1. mltno

mltno New to Mu-43

Dec 3, 2011
    Just purchased panasonic gf3 for $300 with some coupons i had, completely new to these sort of cameras have only had quick simple shooters in past. Ive had some people tell me though that the kit that comes included with this camera wont be to good for inside shooting, and that lenses for that will cost a lot. Will primarily be used inside since i have a baby sons bday that i need to have it setup for next weekend. I will also like to have something for quality outdoor shots as well but primary concern is son. Did i make a right choice in this camera or should i invest in something else at this price point. If this is the right choice what settings do i change in camera for best output, please keep in mind most terminology used for cameras i will not understand lol
  2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Welcome to m43 - the kit lens will be fine indoors but you'll need to use the poppy-uppy-flashy thing depending on the exact nature of the lighting when you take the shot.

Just have a practise inside and see how it behaves.

If you find the flash light to be a little harsh try a diffuser or different flash settings.

If you still don't like the flash consider investing in 'fast glass' - to dip your toes into the waters you can try a manual legacy adapted lens (the classic nifty-fifty f1.4 or f1.8 can be had very cheap almost everywhere) or consider more expensive native lenses such as the Panasonic 20mm f1.7, Oly 45mm f1.8 or cheaper but slower Oly 17mm f2.8 or Panasonic 14mm f2.5.

These can get you better pics without needing to use a flash or bump up the ISO (higher ISO = more sensitive to light but noisier pictures).

Best thing to do is experiment a bit and get a feel for the cameras capabilities :)
  3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Pick up a copy of "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Petersen.

The camera/lens combo will surely do at least as well as any compact, put on a bright (sometimes also called fast) lens, and it will be much better. Even if you throw another $300 at a lens, you still have a helluva deal.

In native lenses, the list above is pretty good, just missing the 12 f/2.0 and 25 f/1.4 with autofocus and the manual focus only 25 f/0.95
  4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    It's digital. It costs zero to take dozens of test exposures in varying conditions, with and without flash. Phigmov is right, though. You'll need to use flash in most indoor shooting conditions. But my guess is that was true with your P&S, too.
  5. mrjoshua

mrjoshua Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    I second the book "Understanding Exposure" - It will give you a great understanding of photography outside the "intelligent Auto" mode and will let you get the most out of your camera.

Good luck and best wishes!
  6. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    You're lucky you got that GF3 for cheap... now you can use the money you saved to buy some good lenses! :smile: Start with the 20mm 1.7 or 25mm 1.4
  7. mrjoshua

mrjoshua Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    If you want to take portraits, the current native lens of choice is the Olympus 45mm f1.8 - It really does take beautiful pictures.

I have this and the Panasonic 14mm f2.5. Together they cover most of what I photograph.
  8. angusr

angusr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2011
    Having previously used only decent compacts, after much research, I bought a GF1 specifically to take pictures of my baby daughter. I got the kit zoom (the 14-45 which is slightly better than the current 14-42) and 20mm f1.7. Almost all of the best baby (now toddler) pictures have been with the 20mm. It will allow you to take shots indoors without the flash. You won't achieve this on a moving child with the kit!

I, somewhat foolishly left my GF1 (with zoom attached) somewhere and drove 500 miles south in France without noticing. On my return, I bought the GF3 with the 14mm so I now have the 14 and 20 but no zoom. If I could have only one of my lenses it would definitely be the 20 because it is bright and a great focal length for kids.

The 25mm would be better in many regards (brighter, faster AF) but it is considerably larger and more expensive.
  9. mltno

mltno New to Mu-43

Dec 3, 2011
    thanks for the replies everyone. I will be picking up the book to get a better understanding of everything. I can tell getting into this will be an expensive hobby so I will start slow, but from few recommendations i think my best bet is going to be the 20mm f1.7 for now since my son is turning one I want pics inside and problem with p&s was it would also be blurry from so much movement?
    I was wanting to get a feel of what i had on hand since i just got it, it was still in box and going from a cheap p&s to a $600 with lens kinda scared me, since atm i dont take many pics but its better to be prepared in the long run as that can change.
  10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    No shame in using iA mode, and progressing from there...