1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New to B&W

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by swampduck, Jul 8, 2013.

1. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    I am new to this format and was hoping to get some critique on this shot. It isn't anything too interesting, more so on the conversion.

Processed color version to bring up contrast slightly, converted to B&W green filter, then added drama filter and sharpen for final output.
    ImageUploadedByMu-431373298344.340194.

2. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Good contrast. Good range of greys. White T blown out a bit. Probably could be burned in. Good that you were judicious on the "drama filter".

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I agree, other than the T-shirt it looks great.

4. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    I like the range, even the white "white" t-shirt :smile:

5. denis_sf

denis_sf Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Denis
    Nice tonality and contrasts. Your processing made the most of the variety of textures and range in the frame. I'd have pulled down the highlights just a bit on the t-shirt as others have already pointed out. If it were my shot I'd probably have brought up the darks a bit as the shirt and head at right are almost lost in the black of the open window. It's not an integral part of the image, but that's what I see.

There's really no 'right' way to do black and white. It does afford much more latitude than color with exposure because, unless you completely nuke the shot, there's going to be a bunch of information that you can recover, especially if you're shooting RAW. From the workflow you describe, I'm guessing you were using Snapseed?

6. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    Thanks, I am going to continue to work this a bit. I am new to BW, but it has proven to be fun