New to 4/3

ejphotos

New to Mu-43
Picked up an EM10 Mark II with the 14-40 kit lens, as well as a used 25mm f1.8, new to the whole 4/3 thing. Used to used Canons...had a fair share of bodies and lenses.
So far it seems pretty interesting, we'll see how I like it lol.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Good on you! Hope you like it. There is some cute gear available. Welcome! Post plenty of pics, join in the discussions.

Real Name
Steve
Welcome, I did the same thing, ditched the big stuff and started with the em 10/2 and kit lens. The 25 1.8 is a wonderful little lens, the 60mm macro is worth a look for a budget next step, it's amazing bolted on the the em 10/2.

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
Picked up an EM10 Mark II with the 14-40 kit lens, as well as a used 25mm f1.8, new to the whole 4/3 thing. Used to used Canons...had a fair share of bodies and lenses.
So far it seems pretty interesting, we'll see how I like it lol.

Welcome to the world of Micro Four Thirds.
What is it about the Micro Four Thirds camera that made you switch?
And what was it about the DSLR system that made you change?

ejphotos

New to Mu-43
Welcome to the world of Micro Four Thirds.
What is it about the Micro Four Thirds camera that made you switch?
And what was it about the DSLR system that made you change?

Thanks!
Not necessarily a switch - just stopped photography for a few years and sold my Canon gear.
Getting back into it, just thought 4/3 might be neat to try.

Thanks all. Will post some pictures soon.

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
Thanks!
Not necessarily a switch - just stopped photography for a few years and sold my Canon gear.
Getting back into it, just thought 4/3 might be neat to try.

Thanks all. Will post some pictures soon.

I wish you all the best. Thanks.

Mu-43 Legend
Welcome aboard to the world of fast, light and just-right :)

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
Your back & shoulder will be happy.

The downsides of m43 are low DR, noise at low light levels, and BIF/sports with a guy against same jersey color backgrounds in the crowd on sidelines.
For landscapes with ANY sky in them, do exposure stacking.
For low light, Panny has iNightshot which is quite effective at in body stacking.
Doesn't seem to be a way to get FF level results for #3 yet.

ejphotos

New to Mu-43
Your back & shoulder will be happy.

The downsides of m43 are low DR, noise at low light levels, and BIF/sports with a guy against same jersey color backgrounds in the crowd on sidelines.
For landscapes with ANY sky in them, do exposure stacking.
For low light, Panny has iNightshot which is quite effective at in body stacking.
Doesn't seem to be a way to get FF level results for #3 yet.

Thanks for the tips!
I mostly shoot landscapes/inanimate objects, although I have not tried landscapes with this yet. I'd try the in-camera HDR - always had nice results with my Canon gear that had that.

ddekadt

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
Thanks for the tips!
I mostly shoot landscapes/inanimate objects, although I have not tried landscapes with this yet. I'd try the in-camera HDR - always had nice results with my Canon gear that had that.
You really don't *have* to do exposure stacking for landscapes, depending on your tolerances. The DR in M43 is really not bad, but do watch out for shadow noise from underexposure. While on many systems one should expose for the highlights and pull the shadows back, in M43 you typically want to do the opposite -- expose for the shadows, and pull the highlights back. The sensor has quite a bit of highlight headroom.

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
Welcome. I love my E-M10 II and 25mm f1.8 combo and I hope you do too. Not a big fan of the kit lens JPEG but you may be proficient in working the RAW files to a better state. Please post pictures when you can, it is a friendly group here.

ejphotos

New to Mu-43
You really don't *have* to do exposure stacking for landscapes, depending on your tolerances. The DR in M43 is really not bad, but do watch out for shadow noise from underexposure. While on many systems one should expose for the highlights and pull the shadows back, in M43 you typically want to do the opposite -- expose for the shadows, and pull the highlights back. The sensor has quite a bit of highlight headroom.

Good to know, thanks.

Welcome. I love my E-M10 II and 25mm f1.8 combo and I hope you do too. Not a big fan of the kit lens JPEG but you may be proficient in working the RAW files to a better state. Please post pictures when you can, it is a friendly group here.

Thanks. Yeah I haven't used the kit lens at all. The 25mm is giving nice results.

Latest threads

Top Bottom