1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New to 4/3 need advise

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by helodad, Feb 16, 2011.

1. helodad

helodad New to Mu-43

Feb 16, 2011
    I sure you all have discuss this a hundred times. I cant decide on Oly PL2 or PAN GF2.... I'm new to 4/3 but not to DSLRS.. the most important feature to me will be Image quality. I like using RAW and haveing more control of the camera settings. I decided to sell my CANON T1i because I just did not have it with me when I wanted it. I am sure one of these will fit the bill. I leaning towards GF2 just because of the 2.5 kit lens, I like the (prime) Give me your thoughts and maybe more suggestions on other models.

2. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    Although I have not seen it, if you want something that is somewhat pocketable, then the GF2 would be it.

3. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Hmmm.. I love my EPL1, and I have no idea about the Panasonic line, but I think the E-PL1 (and I suppose the E-PL2) is geared more towards those like me who just like JPEGs straight out of the camera, probably with minimal post-processing. Not that it doesn't allow you to shoot in RAW, it's just that the JPEGs are one of Oly's strengths. Plus, I don't suppose you'd have much use for the built-in Art Filters (which I enjoy), since you did say you shoot raw.

Another point that sold me on the E-PL1 is the built-in IS, thus I can use some other Canon lenses I own that have no IS. I haven't tried the lenses on the E-PL1 yet, but I love that I have that option.

In my opinion, I don't think the lens should be the major reason for your choice for the body since the m4/3 is a standard - I myself am planning to buy a Panny 20mm to go with my E-PL1.

4. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    just get a PL 20mm f1.7 and stick it on the front of an Oly EP1 and just use that

it's is what the M43 is good at

5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

helodad, welcome!

Is there any chance you might be able to get to a camera store that carries both Panasonic and Olympus so that you can actually hold each one in your hands, and get a look at them in real life? That is the best thing to do, if possible.

Do you like viewfinders? The Olympus PEN electronic viewfinder is excellent.

6. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    electronic viewfinder - expensive piece of kit

7. BBW

It is, Bill but if one needs one, it is worth every penny. I tried the Panasonic version on my LX5 and immediately sent it back.

8. helodad

helodad New to Mu-43

Feb 16, 2011
    Are there any other 4/3 models in the $800 range that I would like. A big thing I like to do is shoot in low light is one model be better at this then the other?

9. BBW

Well, I'm thinking that this has to do with the lens more than the camera. You might want to read more about the various lenses and take a look at both the Olympus and Panasonic forums.

By the way, when you have the time please stop by the Welcomes and Introductions forum, helodad.

10. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    Hyubie is right. Olympus has in body IS whereas Panny does not. I wish Panny would build that into their body rather than just some of their lenses.

11. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    as regards image quality - I doubt there is a discernible difference between panasonic and olympus.

Pros for Olympus are

1) in body image stabilisation that works with any lens... even old manual focus lenses

2) I believe that the optional EVF of the Olympus is much better than the Panasonic one

personally if i had to buy today and had 800 bucks to spend then I would go E-PL2 and EVF... but then again if i wasn't in a rush I would wait a couple of months... the time is getting right for an e-p3.... no idea or inside knowledge on this.... just it seems it should appear soon

K

• Like Like x 2
  12. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Also, consider video. If you're into it, or think you might be into it, all reports are that the Panasonic is better.

But I really agree with the comment that you ought to consider the lens and camera semi-separate decisions. The beauty of m43 is that you can mix and match lenses, and there are lot of interesting ones available, from UWA to 600mm-equivalent zooms (many of which AF). If you want to shoot in low light I'd strongly recommend the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7--regardless of what camera you put it on. It's a fantastic lens on the E-PL1.

13. helodad

helodad New to Mu-43

Feb 16, 2011
    I think I’ll get EP1 or GF1 body only and place a good lenes on it..What do you all think?

14. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    as regards shooting in low light... well that means lots of things to lots of people... some people seem to expect the impossible of instant autofocus on running kids by candlelight - that aint gonna happen!!!

but a dark bar, the panasonic 20/1.7 on a original E-P1 can produce this

5329527327_273dd5a2fa_z.
    Henri lights up by kevinparis, on Flickr

or this in a kitchen

dog tired by kevinparis, on Flickr

or this at a dinner table

Something about Mary by kevinparis, on Flickr

K

• Like Like x 3
  15. eyeguy

eyeguy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    I'm new to the whole photog world in general.

I was debating PL2 vs GF2 for a while as well and I am in the same boat as you.
    I know I'll eventually want a pancake lens so the GF2 kit seemed a lot more attractive.

dpreview just review the GF2. A big factor for me was size as well, but it appears that the PL2 is only marginally bigger.
    Panasonic DMC-GF2 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
    Video comparison: [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mWnEd7qITQ]YouTube - Panasonic GF2 vs Olympus E-PL2 - which is better?[/ame]

I think I am going to go with the PL2, but now I'm just waiting on a good deal to come around since I won't really need one until summer.