1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

new to 4/3, need advice

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by TeeZeeMee, Mar 28, 2012.

1. TeeZeeMee

TeeZeeMee Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2012
    BAMA (RTR)
    I am in love with street and documentary photography and want to get rid of my 60D and downsize. I'm really liking the way the fujifilm x100 is set up and been trying to find a good deal on one. Also, I like the look of the Olympus epl-1 and ep-3. Which would be a better choice overall from your experiences?

Also if anyone is interested in a 60D, holler at me haha but mainly just which would you choose?

2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi.Welcome to MFT world and this woderful forum .Please pick up EP3 , Its much more responsive than EPL1,double shutter speed, faster AF , touch screen and pick up PL25 mm 1.4 , Oly 12 mm 2 and Oly 45 mm 1.8 for street photography.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

3. What sort of lenses do you like to use with your 60D? Zooms, primes, particular focal lengths? That may help you decide between a fixed focal length camera like the X100, an interchangeable lens camera like m4/3 or NEX, or even a large sensor zoom like the Canon G1X.

4. TeeZeeMee

TeeZeeMee Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2012
    BAMA (RTR)
    i looked at the NEX-7 also and it looks great too, very customizable!

my favorite lens i have for my 60D is a prime 50mm f/1.8, i shouldve bought the f/1.4 because really its all i use minus some wide angle stuff with a 10-17mm i have.

5. If you like the 50mm on a 60D then the X100 might be a bit wide for your tastes. The m4/3 45mm f1.8 lens will give a similar equivalent focal length to the 60D/50mm combo.

Just by-the-by, I've used both the EF 50/1.8 and 50/1.4 on various Canons, and while I don't feel that the 50/1.4 is any sharper I do prefer the way it renders out-of-focus areas, and it doesn't make bokeh pentagons like the 50/1.8 will.

6. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    I'd recommend getting the gx1 or the e-m5 + some primes of your choice (45mm being the closest to the canon EF 50mm)

I think that the ep3, although a very capable camera, the gx1 and the e-m5 will give more room for adjustments (having a better sensor), and more capabilities. (e-m5 having s built in EVf and 5axis IS)

Youll never go wrong whatever body/lens conbination you get. You just have to know the limitations the camer/lens combination will present :biggrin:

7. TeeZeeMee

TeeZeeMee Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2012
    BAMA (RTR)
    thanks for the help! i didnt even know about the GX1 and E-M5 for real and am looking them up now.

i like the e-m5 because it has a viewfinder built in and i think im just so used to having my big dslr and shooting through the viewfinder that id want to have one... so id be spending some extra money on the GX1 for the EVF.

8. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    The only Olympus m43 I would buy is om5, as the rest are older sensor.

The next best recommendation from me would be gx1 for the price, quality and size. Gh2 is not as portable, yet expensive.

Third recommendation would be G3, the most value for money m43 camera.

If u want a real small, yet value for money camera, consider epm1.

If u want the sweetest price point, go for gf2 with 14/2.5

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Many street shooter would prefer the non-pro look of the GX1. They feel it gives them stealth. The OM-D EM-5 is a closer feel to the 60D. The OM-D has a flip-out LCD for shooting from the waist, the GX1's LCD is fixed.

Welcome aboard, Good Luck and Good Shooting.

Gary

10. TeeZeeMee

TeeZeeMee Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2012
    BAMA (RTR)
    yea i think im debating between the GX1 now and E-M5.
    like i said i like the built in EVF in the E-M5, yet its more expensive and that difference in price would be the EVF for the GX1

11. Bhupinder2002

If there is no issues with budget then go for Oly OMD.Its gonna be the King of MFT world .
    Cheers

12. TeeZeeMee

TeeZeeMee Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2012
    BAMA (RTR)
    just gotta sell my 60D now haha

13. Bhupinder2002

Hi
    In which country r u? How much u r expecting for ur Canon 60D?
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

14. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    No debate yet... E-m5 isnt available yet and on the other hand, as soon as you sell the 60d, you can have the gx1 shipped

But no doubt that the e-m5 will be the king of m43

15. TeeZeeMee

TeeZeeMee Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2012
    BAMA (RTR)
    Wait! When does it come out? There's multiple sites that are selling it...or is that presale?

16. TeeZeeMee

TeeZeeMee Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2012
    BAMA (RTR)
    Im in The United States, my camera with EVERYTHING I got for it, 3 lenses, batteries, etc... I was hoping 1400. Only 600 shutter count and excellent condition

17. TeeZeeMee

TeeZeeMee Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2012
    BAMA (RTR)
    I saw where someone stealthed their gx1 out with tape haha pretty cool

18. TeeZeeMee

TeeZeeMee Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2012
    BAMA (RTR)
    Anyone know much bout the NEX-7?

19. Adubo

Adubo SithLord