1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New to 4/3 Good starting camera?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bentlax33, Aug 22, 2011.

1. bentlax33

bentlax33 New to Mu-43

May 6, 2011
    Hi all I have a 25% off code for Amazon digital cameras and I'm looking to get started into the M4/3 world.

My Options with this code leave me at:

EPL1 with 14-42 $277
    EPL2 with 14-42 $375
    GF2 with 14-42 $355
    GF2 with 14mm $458
    EP2 with 17mm $487
    NX100 (not 4/3 but similar) $317

I have some old very nice, C/Y lenses from my old RTSIII camera. Some great Zeiss glass that I will will be adapting to use with the M4/3. So I'll probably sticking with those for primes and looking to use some sort of zoom lens with autofocus for family snapshots and more "on the go shooting"

I've done a ton of research, reviews etc. and I think I'm leaning towards the EPL2 or possibly the EPL1. I figured I would ask on a forum where they have seen alot of use, and if these prices are any good?

EP2? Is it even better than the EPL2? or just an older higher model? I read about a new "peaking" feature on the NEX cameras...sounds like it would be really helpful for manual focus. Which of these is best for manual focus old lenses? Thanks!

2. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    EPL2 seems to be the best specced of the 1/2 level cameras with a better LCD screen and faster focusing, I never had too many issues using manual focus on my EP1 so I'd imagine it will be easier with the EPL2's better screen.

I personally bought the EP2 recently as I prefer the control setup and the look but if I would have thought about the EPL2 if I didn't have as much cash to spend.

I wouldn't bother with the NX100 myself, its a nice enough camera but I found it quite cheap feeling, peaking on the NEX does look good but as I said I've never had any real issue using the zoom function to manual focus my Pen.

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    If it was me, I would narrow down the choice to the following:

1) EPL2 with 14-42 $375
    2) GF2 with 14mm $458

The EPL2 (and all Olys) will have body stabilization, so it will work with all m4/3 and your legacy glass. I also really like the E-P2, but don't think I would spend more for it than the E-PL2... the P2 has a lower rez screen, slightly softer images and focuses a bit slower.

The GF2 includes a lens that you may actually use long term - check out some of the 14mm image threads in the native lenses sub-forum here. I also hear its AF is quick and quiet.

I researched the Samsung NX line before jumping into m4/3. It struck me that there are advantages to having multiple companies producing for a system (more choices) and also that the NX seemed to underperform given its sensor.

4. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    +1 for the EPL2! Great screen + in body stabilization= awesome. (I also think the white version is phenomenal looking.)

5. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Just what I was going to say. :thumbup:

So ... how does one get a 25% off Amazon coupon? I could get a lot out of that. :biggrin:

6. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
  8. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Wait! That offer is only good through January 16, 2011! Why would you excite me like that?!?

9. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Sorry! Looks like only the Kindle offer is still valid. =(

10. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Of the cameras you listed the GF2 and the E-PL2 are both excellent cameras. They each have something to recommend them. I find that the 14/2.5 is a more useful lens for me than the 14-42 kit lens but then again I'm not a big fan of kit lenses. I've ised both the GF2 and E-PL2 and I find the UI and controls a bit nicer on the GF2. I find that it's also a tiny bit faster to focus. The E-PL2 on the other hand has IBIS, nicer JPEGs (you need to do a bit of tweaking to get the GF2 JPEGs to look as good) and it a bit easier to old (the GF2 is a bit small in the hand).

I recently had the same choice to make and I went with the GF2 because I much preferred the ergonomics of it and I already have a Pan sonic G2 so I am more comfortable with the Panasonic UI. That said, the differences between the two cameras is really quite small and I think either one is a terrific option. It really comes down to personal preference.

11. bentlax33

bentlax33 New to Mu-43

May 6, 2011
    Thanks all,

I think I'm going to go with the E-PL2. I like the idea of IBIS.

The 25% off code I was referencing is from the Kindle Special Offers. It's only good on select cameras, and you had to apply for the code already to get it.

Kindle with Special offers is pretty cool though. I got a bunch of books for $1 each, 25% off camera, 20% off a laptop and $40 off a printer...bunch of other good deals I didn't take advantage of....

12. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    good choice, I purchased a white E-PL2 a few weeks ago and could not be happier, especially with the sharpness of the 14-42 II kit lens.

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Oh crud. I did read the Jan 16th part, but I thought that was 2012! :(

Good choice on the E-PL2 Bentlax. Are you getting the 45mm f/1.8 along with it? ;) I'm using the E-PL2 and I really enjoy it, even more than my beloved old E-3. I haven't started using Micro lenses with it yet, though.