New to 4/3 and photography!!!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tolesy, Oct 14, 2011.

1. tolesy

tolesy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2011
    NE Indiana
    After days of searching I have joined the site and am excited to learn from all the experts.

I recently purchased the first 'decent' camera of my life, an Olympus E-P3. I bought the one lens kit along with the only viewfinder my local shop had, VF-3. :thumbup:

I am going to take this one step at a time and learn the capabilities of the camera and practice.

A little about what I hope to do with the camera:
    1) TRAVEL - I take at least one international trip per year and will be shooting tons of architecture and fine art while in museums.
    2) Sports - I coach high school varsity tennis and create albums for my graduating seniors. I am also an avid hunter and fisherman and hope to shoot my adventures in the outdoors.
    3) General use for family outings and such.

My main question for the PEN enthusiasts is what lenses and accessories would benefit me in the future based on my needs?

Thanks in advance!!!
  2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Assuming you meant the kit zoom, not the 17, I'd say the 14 end has you covered well enough for widest angle scenery on your travels
    If not, you can always get the 12, 9-18, 7-14 lenses for some extra wideness

You may want a X-150 or X-300 lens for animals while hunting

The kit zoom + one of the longer reaching zooms seems like the first thing I'd do in your boat.

- Eliot
  3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    First, good luck with fine art photography. Not many museums allow it any more - or at least it appears that way to me.

For travel, it seems everyone says UWA, but I use a telephoto (45-200 in my case) a lot more for picking off details.

The best accessory I have though, is a decent tripod. Spend a little bit and get a good one. Mine is a Benro TravelAngel - super stable, good height, and very compact when folded. The next best would be polarizing filters.
  4. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Welcome. I'm new here myself and while I'm new to m43, I used to do 35mm and my own B&W processing so many years ago, and the gap between is so long, that I may as well be new to photography as far as the technology goes. I also bought an E-P3 but with the two lens kit.

What lenses would benefit you? For sports I'd opt for fast lenses and that generally means primes rather than zooms. The focal length will depend on how far away from the action you are and what kind of field of view you want to capture. For tennis, that means things like whether you are shooting from the side of the court or somewhere in the stands. If you're down at the court side and want to capture the whole court you'd actually need a wide angle while in the stands and only wanting to capture a single player you'd be looking at a telephoto. The best thing to do is to use your kit lens for a while, see how it works, and that will give you an idea of what kind of focal length range you need to consider. In the end you may well want both but you'll probably want one more than the other so you need to consider where you shoot from and how much you want in the photo.

For architecture, wide angle is probably best and wide angle to standard range would be best in a museum but you won't be allowed to use flash in a museum, if you're allowed to use a camera at all, so once again we're talking a fast lens, f/2.0 or better if you can manage it.

For the outdoors side of things it will depend on what kind of stuff you want to shoot but a wide angle would also be a good choice for landscapes. For wildlife you'll probably need telephoto because you're likely to be shooting from a distance.

Accessories: lens hoods are nice but you can shoot without them. A good tripod or other camera support would be an advantage for telephoto lens work, whether sport or wildlife, and also quite possibly for architectural work.
  5. tolesy

tolesy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2011
    NE Indiana
    Stupid question, i have feeling this is going to be a reoccurring thing... Is the 14-150 worth the extra coin over the 40-150? I understand that the 14 would eliminate the need for my kit lens but it is nearly double the cost.