new to 4/3 and need some lens guidance

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by LarryL, Feb 8, 2014.

1. LarryL

LarryL Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2014
    I am new to 4/3 coming over from DSLR and using the EM1 (when it arrives next week) initially with the 12-40 2.8 (when it arrives) but see a real need for going wider.

I travel a lot and that provoked the change. Most of my work deals with conservation so I have lots of great opportunities in some amazing areas. In about 3 week I head out to Costa Rica, Chile and Panama and later on to other Latin American countries. I doubt Olympus will have their wider pro zoom out by the time I leave on my first trip so I would appreciate input as to a good wide zoom (the Panasonic f4, a bit expensive) that I can use until the Olympus comes out or just keep as my wide lens.

Thanks in advance for any input.
  2. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    • Like Like x 5
  3. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    The fisheye 7.5mm Samyang is a good option. Also consider the 9-18mm lenses. Here, you have a choice: the 9-18mm Micro Four Thirds lens is very light and very quick to focus, but the corners are somewhat lacking in sharpness owing to heavy electronic distortion correction. The Four Thirds version, however, is somewhat cheaper (if you use an inexpensive third party adapter, at least), much better in the corners, not much heavier, a bit larger, but much slower to focus, even on the E-M1. Both lenses are significantly cheaper than the Panasonic 7-14mm f/4 (although if you are interested one day in the Olympus ultra-wide zoom, expect it to be at least as expensive, if not more if they manage to make it f/2.8 as many suspect that they will).
  4. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    The colour of the sky in #1 is outstanding. Those clouds look like they're made of golden silk.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. LarryL

LarryL Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2014

Wow, Patrick, great shots. I am looking forward to this. Thanks.
  6. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    I hope you didn't sell all your old lenses, they gain a second life when you get a Speedbooster for them and you can pull off some amazing shots that you would really find yourself working hard for on a DSLR, especially with the exposure times required once you factor in the larger aperture.

Consider taking the Samyang/Rokinon/Bower route except with APS-C or 135 format glass intended for what was previously your DSLR mount and then putting a Speedbooster inbetween. You're not really missing out on that much AF ease of use on wide angles.
  7. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    You could consider getting the 7-14 f4 used from ebay. They are usually available for around US$700 and often these this lens is hardly used and is sold by a buyer who cant quite get used to the very wide angle.
  8. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I do not know if your dSLR system was Canon but I think there is an EF speedbooster adapter that still allows auto focus.
  9. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I have the E-M1, E-M5 and Olympus 9-18 zoom. The 9-18 is a very nice small zoom with very good image quality except for significant chromatic aberration (CA) (color fringing) that shows up in the corners. If you use the Olympus bodies that have the image processing system, and shoot JPGs, all of CA is removed. I wasn't even able to close to what came straight out of the E-M1 using LR5 to correct the E-M5 shot. Check the upper right and left corners of these two shots. (full res versions can be downloaded)

BMRD0330 by b_rubenstein, on Flickr

EM101058 by b_rubenstein, on Flickr
  10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I agree whole heartedly with the Rokinon 7.5 fisheye, an excellent lens. You might also consider the P14mm as it's nice and small and produces excellent IQ. I've heard that the 12-50 is surprisingly good for the price but I haven't used that lens.
  11. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Thanks Larry, I think it's a fun lens as long as you don't expect it to behave like a rectilinear lens. All the shots I posted are without any distortion correction but I placed the horizon in the middle and cropped a couple of them after. Seeing how you're planning on getting the Olympus pro wide zoom when it eventually comes out, the fisheye will still have different uses so it shouldn't go to waste even then.

P.S. If you're going to Costa Rica I'd suggest renting a super-telephoto lens, you'll be glad you brought it!
  12. Lisandra

Lisandra Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    I know you mentioned the 7-14 as a bit expensive, but its one of those lenses thats worth every penny. Its super sharp and fantastically well corrected. The purple orb problem is not as acute as the web makes it out to be, as it often happens.