New Think Tank Camera Bag Line

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by john1027, May 18, 2010.

1. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    In the realm that you can never have enough camera bags, Think Tank has released a new Retrospective Line of camera bags. A portion of the proceeds goes to a photography related charity as outlined in the news release on the Photograph Blog site.

Think Tank Photo Retrospective Shoulder Bags | PhotographyBLOG

The Retrospective 10 might be just right for a m-4/3s package. Not cheap at $149.00, but the company makes quality gear designed by professional photographers. Hoping my local camera shop gets them in soon so I can see in person.

Retrospective? 10 (Pinestone) Shoulder Bag = Think Tank

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Pity, just another line of bags dedicated to large DSLRs. I wonder when the penny will drop with just one of these bag manufacturers?

Cheers

Ray

3. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I like think thank bags and have several. Yes this one is sort of large but probably okay for two M4/3 and several lenses which is what I carry around nowadays.

Today I just bought a new purse specifically to carry my m 4/3 (or 2) and my iPad.

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    If you call what can carry one or more m4/3s cameras and an iPad a purse, I'd hate to see what you have as a handbag! :eek:

Cheers

Ray

5. JoeG

JoeG Mu-43 Regular

I just got a Domke F-5xb, and it's ideal for one mu43 camera with lens and and a second lens, a couple of cards and filters--but not much else. It's smaller than most of my wife's purses, has a great gripper strap, and can also attach to a belt as a biggish waist pack. It's going to be an ace travel bag. Great construction--except for one detail.

Not the velcro, though as someone pointed out there's too much of it, but the fact that it's only water resistant. I looked long and hard at the Lowe Pro bags with attachable raincovers, but why doesn't someone make a goretex or similar bag that's simply rainproof to begin with? If they can do it with backpacks and sleeping bags, they can do it with camera bags as well.

6. back alley

back alley Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2010
    keep a green garbage bag in your camera bag at all times...

• Like Like x 2
  7. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Think Tank bags also come with a rain cover. Some Billingham bags are highly water resistant as there are many layers, I have one made of a material called nynex or nytex (I think) which they claim is water resistant.

The new Domke Ruggedwear bags have a wax coating like a Barbour Rain Coat. I used to have a Barbour Rain Coat but I became allergic to the wax. I have seen the bag at B&H it's not overly waxy like the coat but I would worry a bit about some of the wax getting on your hands and then possibly transferring to the camera or lens.

If I know I'll be out all day and there is a high chance of rain I'll often put a plastic shopping bag in my camera bag just in case I get caught in a downpour I can just put the camera bag in it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. adam

adam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    Maryland
    I've been through a couple of ThinkTank bags. The problem is, they're taller than they are wide. Which is great if you use pro-level equipment, because the lenses tend to be fairly long. Not so much if you shoot mFT...even my 14-140 isn't long enough for the smallest TT bags, and I think that's the biggest native mFT lens on the market right now.

Speaking of Billingham, their smaller bags are about the right size for mFT...but those are like the Leica of camera bags...they're nicer than anything else out there, but not enough nicer to justify the price difference...

9. franklyspeaking

franklyspeaking Mu-43 Regular

I was in my local camera shop on Saturday and they had these bags in so I checked them out. They are much larger than I expected. It seemed way too big for a mFT system. They were very nice bags though. If I were shopping for a bag for my DSLR gear, I'd consider it for sure.

10. retnull

retnull Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2010
    Here, could not be happier with the Crumpler "Four-Million-Dollar Home" for my GH-1 + one extra lens. Waterproof, too.

11. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I have a few crumplers. I like that they look a bit less like photo bags, and that they 'relax' after a while, becoming less stiff.

12. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    I use both an Urban DisguiseĀ® 20 and 30 with my 4/3 systems, no way are they too big for these cameras. With my 20, I carry an E-P2 with the 18-42 mounted, a GF1 or E-P1 with the 20 mounted, a 45-200 and the 7-14, all of that just fits. The 30 allows me too pack all of my lens as well as two bodies.
    Great bags. They are the bag of choice right now for my pro gear rolling bags.

For carrying just a camera and lens I tend to use Lowe Pro and/or Tamrac bags
    I find Crumplers nice but fairly big for what they can carry, gave mine to the wife for her E-PL1
    Billinghams are not as easy to use for me, in fact my small Billingham is now being used to store/carry my freshwater fishing spinning reels
    I used to use Domkes way back when they first came out, have not been a fan for a while.

13. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I checked out that Think Tank Retrospective 10 - sorry but it's frickin' HUGE. Its ENORMOUS. Did I mention its really big? I figured it would be similar to the Domke 803 I've been using, but just a bit wider - could be a good travel bag to fit cameras and other travel stuff in addition. But its MUCH wider. My gear just floats around in there. I don't know how I'd organize it efficiently even if I did want to carry it around. Probably have to get one of the Domke inserts for some of their less-tall bags, which would fit in the TT. That bag would be good for a big DSLR system - I can't imagine an m43 setup that it would be good for.

Its really really BIG. I might have mentioned. :cool:

-Ray

• Like Like x 2
  14. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    Thanks Ray. Saved me a trip to look myself!

15. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I asked to see the new Think Tank Retrospective 10 last time I was at Adorama but they didn't have them yet. In general they do make large bags but quite well made and well thought out.

My favorite of late for m4/3 large kit (2 bodies and up to 6 lenses) is the Lowepro passport Sling.
    Lowepro | Passport Sling Camera Bag (Black) | LP36140-0EU | B&H