New TG5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by retiredfromlife, May 18, 2017.

1. Curious about this as a possible bicycle touring camera.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. I've had a TG-4 for over a year and find it outstanding for it's IQ and variety of features. Only issue I have with it is it's AF hunting during video mode, which I don't do very often. Hopefully they corrected this in the TG-5.

3. Do you use the GPS mode? Interested to know how well it performs.

4. Usually on just to record location of pics taken. It does coincide closely with my Garmin navigator for position. Never used the Tracking mode.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. Imaging Resource have reviewed the TG-5. I am curious as to whether the "upgrade" price from the TG-4 to TG-5 justifies going with the TG-5.

6. As with any other camera "upgrade" you have to ask yourself if you really NEED all the newest features, or just WANT them. Then there is the difference in cost, which is significant for a small sensor camera. OTOH, if you need a TOUGH camera that can do it all very well, then buy the TG-5. I won't be upgrading from my TG-4 though, as it's more than good enough for my needs.

7. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I am looking at one of these come Christmas. Looks to be only a minor upgrade, be interesting to see if the TG-4 gets a discount.
    Hopefully all the accessories like clip on lenses and flash diffusers will stay the same as I am looking at a package of camera and accessories.

Also interested in how the photo IQ compares after people get it [test it] with the pixel count drop

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  8. More than 'minor' IMO, as all the changes/improvements look to be a significant upgrade given the type of camera it is. It uses the same lens adapter as the TG-4 so filters, lenses, hoods should fit OK.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. From what I could find out last night it does look like a serious option over the TG-4. That said I haven't looked into the other camera company offerings or seriously at other offerings from Olympus. Anything of note worth considering?

I know @NoSeconds@NoSeconds seems happy with his Olympus TG-870 but the lack of RAW discounts it for me.

10. When I was searching last year, the TG-4 beat everything else. I haven't seen anything from other manufacturers that would come close to the TG-5. This is simply an awesome little package!

11. You might want to have a look at the Sealife DC2000 Andy, 1" Sony sensor in a tiny front pocketable unit that's waterproof to 18m by itself, 40 odd with the included housing... When my TG-870 wets the bed I'll be replacing it with one of these. :2thumbs:

Don't think it does RAW but "real" photographers don't need RAW, they just get it right in-camera... :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. bahamot

bahamot Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 4, 2015
    DC2000 supports RAW file format (DNG)

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Doesn't look like I'd be interested in that. Just checked availability and the price is much too high. I'll pass.

14. junkyardsparkle

junkyardsparkle Mu-43 Top Veteran

Props to Olympus for backing down to 12MP despite what I'm sure were some horrible noises from the marketing department, hope it doesn't go badly for them. Is this part of a recent trend of de-escalation in this arena? It's the first instance I've become aware of...

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    It is interesting. Looking forward to seeing reviews where images are compared between TG4 & TG5

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. $250 isn't a lot when you start comparing specs... :daz:

17. wolfie

wolfie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 15, 2009
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Just a first impressions at IR, as no sample images at all.

Some low res images at dpreview which are useless to show if the 12MP BSI sensor offers real benefit. Funny how they can spend money on all the hype but can not actually coordinate half a dozen full res sample shots at product announcement ...I am interested but so far have resisted any 1/2.3 sensor cameras - my lower limit is 1/1.7 (such a snob!)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    With the true pic viii processor from the mk2, pro capture, 1080p at 120fps as just a couple of points it seems like a nice step forward
    The step back to 12M threw me but if it gives better IQ then hey it's good.

19. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    A size snob.... :) can I recommend a good MF camera? :)