1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Tenba Switch Mirrorless Camera Bag

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by DigitalD, Mar 12, 2015.

1. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    I gotta admit. Im kind of liking these bags. I don't usually have GAS for bags but I have been looking to get a new one.

Website Link: http://www.tenba.com/Collections/switch.aspx

No reviews yet as it has just been released.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    These look great. Will have to check them out.

Great line in the video re other bags...."Look like they came free in a box with an electric razor"

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. my06wagon

my06wagon Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2014
    I just got mine yesterday. I will post some pics up of it soon.

• Like Like x 2
  4. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Oh please do! Which size did you get?

5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    They do look nice! The mirrorless world hasn't democratized good-looking bags to a fair price point very well, but these seem like decent bang for the buck.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Mu-43 mobile app

6. my06wagon

my06wagon Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2014
    I got the switch 8. First impressions its not as rugged as the retrospective series. But its light and not flimsy. You get a total of four dividers which nice. 2 big ones and 2 smaller ones. I like how the front parts has 2 pockets. Both secured with a zip. It would be a nice daily bag to use. I have seen on dpreviews website thinktank have a new line the urban approach which looks similar to these

7. my06wagon

my06wagon Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2014
    heres a couple of pics Taken with my crap phone.

On the right at the bottom is my 75m f1.8. On top of the is the 45mm. In the middle is the gx7 with the 15mm f1.7 with hood attached. On the left is the 25mm f1.4 with hood attached. I couldnt find a way to fit my external metz flash but I hardly use it anyway. If I had 1 more big divider I could probably squeeze it in.

The strap feels comfortable and with my gear loaded it feels so much lighter than my retrospective 10. I could probably fit one more lens in that spare gap as well as the 20mm in the spot next to the 45mm. Overall I think its a great bag for the price. the magnetic closure is great as well as having a zipper up top For easy access. What I like most thought is I can carry my gear and its so light.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  8. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Looks good. I'm liking it.

9. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    The new Think Tank Urban Approach 5 and 10 look similar. For me, the main difference is the top opening zipper on the Tenbas. I like that feature. Glad to see manufacturers are taking mirrorless seriously and producing more compact bags better suited for MFT cameras.

10. mambastik

mambastik Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    One of the more common complaints was that the DNA 8 was too small and the DNA 11 was too big. For example I'd want to take my camera everyday to/from work, but still want space for snacks and lunch. In this case the 8 would probably be too small, and the jump to 11 is too big. Any idea to where the Switch 7/8/10 falls into in terms of size?

11. Sailorlad

Sailorlad Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Robert
    Internal dimensions for each of the bags are as follows:

DNA 11 : 30.5 x 22.8 x 12.7 cms (12 x 9 x 5 inches)
    Switch 10 : 29 x 22 x 10 cms (11.5 x 8.75 x 4 inches)

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 2
  12. dannsing

dannsing Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2014
    California
    This is an interesting bag and I like that the switch 8 has an attachment for strapping a travel tripod to the bottom of the bag. Curious if anyone else may have picked this up and any reviews on it. I'm not sure if I really like the faux leather though. I'm kind of comparing this to a TT Retrospective 5 or a Domke F-5xc if I want to pickup another bag soon.

13. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I thought the same thing and even suggested to Peter Waisnor that they make a DNA 9.5. :) They instead made a DNA 13 and the new Switch bags. I bought a DNA 8 because I wanted something small that didn't need to carry everything. I almost bought a Think Tank Citywalker 10.

14. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    Q
    The changeable flap makes this look like the camera version of the KP FaceOff bag.

http://www.keeppursuing.com/faceoff/

That said, hope Samys gets these so I can check em out. They look pretty sweet!

15. Sailorlad

Sailorlad Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Robert
    I am expecting the delivery of a Tenba Switch 10 bag soon. ETA is 10-15 days.
    Will give a report when it arrives.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ippikiokami

ippikiokami Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Any updates? I thought I had finished my bag quest with my retrospectives :( but these look pretty good.

17. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    I haven't pulled the trigger yet because it occured to me that this bag is very similar to the DNA 8 bag, which to me looks better, design wise. Im not sure I like the big plain flap over top. The DNA 8 also has the top access, same as the switch, a feature which I do not have now on my current bag and really want. The size is also very comparable. Anyone have a DNA bag that can comment?

DNA 8 Link
    http://www.tenba.com/Products/messenger-dna-8.aspx

18. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I have a DNA 8 which I'm taking on a trip to the East Coast. This is what I can fit in it.
    EM1 w/12-40 Pro w/hood in the middle
    O 40-150 f4-5.6 w/hood reversed on one side
    O 9-18 w/hood or O 17 f1.8 w/hood on other side (can't fit both)
    Filter wallet, lens cleaning wipes, extra SD cards in holder, extra battery in front pockets
    Waterproof cover in side pocket, something else in other side pocket
    It has a pocket for a small tablet like an iPad mini

That's about it. It's very compact, but has limited space. The choice was deliberate because I intend to travel light with a daily bag that carries only what I need. However, if Tenba had made a DNA between this and the DNA 11, I would have bought it. What I like is the top opening and the removable padded insert. My proposed approach is to put the insert with the gear inside my backpack for transport and stuff the bag itself in the suitcase (as suggested by some others). When I get to the destination, reunite the insert with the bag and go shooting. I can also fit the entire DNA 8 bag inside my backpack, but chose to insert the DNA 8 insert into a larger BBP padded insert in the bottom of my backpack, where I will also fit the 17mm, tabletop tripod, and extra stuff.

I wanted a removable insert so I could do this. The Switch does not have a removable insert, but as far as I can tell, it's not as wide as the DNA series bags. I like the slimmer profile because the bag will sit closer to your body. That was a disadvantage of some bags because they were too wide. OK for bigger DSLR cameras, but too bulky for M43.

Because the DNA 8 bag is so small, if one intends to use it as a messenger bag, it cannot hold 8 1/2" x 11" paper or folders. You'd need something like a DNA 11 for that. Good for notebooks or small books, pens, phone, and iPad mini or something similar. Really nicely built bag with quality materials.

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David

Thanks, this helps with the decision a lot. Much appreciated :)

20. Peejay

Peejay Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2014
    Paris, France
    Interestingly, I'm also looking for a new bag with top opening, i had a long look at the Switch, but it's got no top carrying handle, so it's a deal breaker afaiac, my shortlist is as follows :
    Tenba DNA 11; Vanguard The Heralder 28; Lowepro Stealth Reporter D300AW. There doesn't seem to be any other with top opening except the Thinktank Urban Disguise with a dissuasive price tag.
    I'm more and more leaning towards the Tenba DNA 11 which is one of the most compact (with the Lowepro), but has the smallest width and is the lightest.