New take on noise reduction

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by panamike, Jan 27, 2017.

1. panamike

panamike Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    Thanks, panamike - I'm not a big Northrup fan, but this is one of the best things I've seen from him . . .

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Isn't that what astrophotgraphers have been doing for ages?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Machi

Machi Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2015
    Not only astrophotographers. This is great technique for landscape photography.
    It's also principle behind clarity of hires images from new Olympus cameras and it could be also done directly in the camera via multiple exposure.
    Unfortunately in-camera stacking through multiple exposure is (at least) in Olympus limited to only 2 images.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    I have one My Settings mode dedicated to this, with 3 shots (with -1/2. 0 and +1/2 stop bracketing exposure), not for HDR purposes (although the slight difference might be useful in some shadow detail or highlight roll off) but mostly for noise reduction in my Black and Whites. Works pretty good.
    A 100% crop:
    RAW 1 opname.

RAW 3 opnames HDR.

• Like Like x 10
  6. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere

Aug 19, 2016
    Burnaby, BC
    I wish the Olympus Live Composite function had a second mode to do this in camera. I'd start carrying a tripod more often.

What programs can be used to stack like this? Aren't most meant for astrophotography?

7. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Unless you need star alignment, I'd just use PS. Not sure about alternatives though.

8. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    Or you can shoot handheld, and resize all the layers to 4x the original before doing Align Layers, the natural shake of your hands will give a "sensor shift" effect that lets you take advantage of the superresolution technique. A more random and chaotic version of the sensor shift high res mode in the OMD cameras:

A Practical Guide to Creating Superresolution Photos with Photoshop

This is another technique that's been used in astrophotography for ages. It turns having inexact star tracking hardware into something actually beneficial!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Wow Wow x 1
  9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I can't stand Northrop so didn't watch it. Am I to assume he's talking about stacking multiple images? If so, hardly a "new take".

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    Melissa
    I'd never heard of Northrop and was expecting an ogre or an asshat after reading other comments, lol. I found him to speak well, and clearly explain what he was doing. And great video quality!

I'd also not thought of (or heard of) this technique. Thanks @panamike@panamike for sharing. :)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  11. Starfleet

Starfleet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Alex
    Doesn't the handheld night shooting mode available with Panasonic cameras do that?
    Anyway, nothing new here. This method has been out there for some time...

12. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    He has produced other videos that could change your mind.

--Ken

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. Not me. I like his and Chelsea's work and have benefited from it at times, just as I find others contributions of value at times.

So a big thanks to @panamike@panamike for sharing the video. I had missed it.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  14. AllanG

AllanG Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Allan
    Another blatent rip off of technique by Northrop. In the opening few seconds he states " I discovered a technique........ " as if he thought it up.
    No - most likely he saw oneone elses demonstration and here is attempting to pass it off as his idea.
    Its a standard technique in astrophotography going back years.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Tony didn't say it was something new, he actually states quite clearly that is a technique he recently came across; you know he is sharing and demonstrating the technique he came across because I suspect he thought it was a good idea.

In my world we call that educating and thankfully because the content is substantially unchanged but refined and hence we do it over and over I still have a job :)

On a side note, in my area of professional interest, accounting, we adopt a core system of accounting which has, oh no, it roots in a technique developed in the .... 1600s give or take a century or two by Fra Luca Bartolomeo de Pacioli ... Guess what we have been doing since? Teaching something "that has been out there for some time" ... bit like, oh reading :)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  16. AllanG

AllanG Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Allan
    As an educator you should know that its best practice if you are quoting someone elses results, or in this case technique, you give the source or sources for your procedure. If you listen to the video he clearly states " I discovered a technique........ ". If you see his other vids he usually slants it as his technique rather that demonstrating this is a proven procedure. He could have shortened it to just giving a link to a prior YouTube video.

17. I have absolutely no knowledge of astrophotography and no interest in learning about it in any depth so if this video or a similar video hadn't been shared I wouldn't have come across the technique. This therefore is to me at least a valuable contribution to my knowledge and given I value knowledge over ignorance I very much appreciate it.

Funny thing as an educator this is exactly what I do ... share ideas, share techniques, teach how to use those techniques and on it goes ...

Even more funny really is that unless you came up with technique, you had to learn it from someone, you know someone who was .... oh no, written about the technique, maybe even demonstrating it, heck maybe even putting a video together ... better watch the sky :wink:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere

Aug 19, 2016
    Burnaby, BC
    Thing is I don't have PS. I've been looking at Registax but it seems to have stalled out in 2011.

www.astronomie.be/registax

Anyone else know of software for this? I'd love a program that could align and average a bunch of images without too much intervention on my part. I'll have to try deepskystacker too. I've been meaning to do this for a while.

19. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I believe that he can be a somewhat polarizing figure, as is evidenced in some of the posts above. I have seen a few of his videos that I thought were useful, but I have also seen him twist things in ways that just don't add up in the end.

--Ken

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    Corel PaintShop Pro can perform Photo Blend on multiple images, which includes alignment and tools for selecting features from specific images. I haven't tested it for noise reduction so you might want to try the free demo version. It's a commercial program, but Corel often runs sales and you can find older versions with discounted prices. (The next-to-latest version, X8, is now on sale at Amazon for $18.)

• Informative Informative x 2