New Super Olympus Will Outperform Fuji X-T3

50orsohours

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Yes but as we move forward with new products, it makes the old equipment look "not good enough".

In 2002, a TV with 520 horizontal lines was fine. But then 720p arrived...720p was fine until 1080p arrived...and so on. And yes, it's still totally OK in 2018 to upload videos in 720p even with the possibility to shoot in 6k. But...don't dare to upload a video that is not at least 720p, it will just make you look outdated and not in touch with reality.
The tv is a terrible analogy. First of all, I said 2 years, not 16 years.

Btw, could you tell if any of these photos were taken yesterday or 4 years ago?

Favorites - Mark Metternich

Las Vegas Family Photographer | LJHolloway Photography

Bobby Tan

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
Yes but as we move forward with new products, it makes the old equipment look "not good enough".

In 2002, a TV with 520 horizontal lines was fine. But then 720p arrived...720p was fine until 1080p arrived...and so on. And yes, it's still totally OK in 2018 to upload videos in 720p even with the possibility to shoot in 6k. But...don't dare to upload a video that is not at least 720p, it will just make you look outdated and not in touch with reality.
I still use a 720p TV...but I cut cable...works just fine for DVD and streaming. Paid so much for it, I hate to get rid of it, despite being able to buy a nice 40" 1080p HD TV for under $200

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ignoring the other side? I AM GIVING YOU THE OTHER SIDE.
Yikes...

I definitely do not always try to be right, and own up to when I am wrong. All I was attempting to do was offer an alternative viewpoint, as you were saying (rightfully so mind you), that while an aging population is looking to downsize their gear, there's the other side of that mountain: young people with enough money and physical strength to carry FF gear.

That doesn't mean that either side is right or wrong. People choose their equipment based on their personal needs & wants. If somebody wants to use m43 because it enables them to get out there and do that 8-mile hike with a 600mm lens, great! If somebody wants to use FF because it gives them the best dynamic range, that's fine!

I myself and happy with APS-C and my D500's for shooting a variety of sports. To me, they strike the right balance between reach, sensor performance, and AF speed. Could I use the equipment I do now if I were 80 years old? Probably not. But I'm in a physical state where I can deal with handling the equipment, and appreciate the results they deliver.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
I just bought two Sony 4K TV's in the past year, SO LET ME EDUCATE YOU ON WHY SONY'S ARE THE BEST!

lol. But seriously, these Sony 4K TV's are nice.

ionian

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Simon
I have a feeling that you are not the type that likes to be told what to do - am I correct?
That's between me and my dominatrix, thank you very much ;)

It's you perpetuating this discussion across multiple threads, and whenever it descends into an argument there you are at the center of it. People would be excused for thinking there may be a link between the two.

50orsohours

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Yikes...

I definitely do not always try to be right, and own up to when I am wrong. All I was attempting to do was offer an alternative viewpoint, as you were saying (rightfully so mind you), that while an aging population is looking to downsize their gear, there's the other side of that mountain: young people with enough money and physical strength to carry FF gear.

That doesn't mean that either side is right or wrong. People choose their equipment based on their personal needs & wants. If somebody wants to use m43 because it enables them to get out there and do that 8-mile hike with a 600mm lens, great! If somebody wants to use FF because it gives them the best dynamic range, that's fine!

I myself and happy with APS-C and my D500's for shooting a variety of sports. To me, they strike the right balance between reach, sensor performance, and AF speed. Could I use the equipment I do now if I were 80 years old? Probably not. But I'm in a physical state where I can deal with handling the equipment, and appreciate the results they deliver.
I good body of mine (27) sold his Nikon FF gear and bought a Fuji xt2 with a few lenses and couldn’t be happier. Personally I can carry what ever is out there, but I love my Olympus gear. Not every hipster is going after FF.

But like I said, to me it doesn’t matter what other people buy, because they are not using my money and it shouldn’t matter to other people either.

Focusing on improving ourselves, since we are the weak link, would be more productive. I mean how many threads do you see being started asking for help to improve one’s photo skills?

50orsohours

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
That's between me and my dominatrix, thank you very much ;)

It's you perpetuating this discussion across multiple threads, and whenever it descends into an argument there you are at the center of it. People would be excused for thinking there may be a link between the two.
So your answer is yes to not liked being told what to do. Just as I thought

50orsohours

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If Olympus wants to price the new body well north of XT-3 ($1499)....it had dang sure better outperform XT-3. But that would only justify a price around $1500. If it beats A7III that might justify a price in the $2000-2200 range. But if Olympus plans to charge $2,500 or north of that.......they will not be selling many of them.
Are the new canikon FB mirrorless out performing the Sony a7III? They are most definitely not, yet they cost more.

Real Name
Richard
I just bought two Sony 4K TV's in the past year, SO LET ME EDUCATE YOU ON WHY SONY'S ARE THE BEST!

lol. But seriously, these Sony 4K TV's are nice.
They are lovely - but still OTT for youtube vids, just the same as a significant proportion of OMDXYZwhatever buyers will never get further than Walmart 6x4s.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
I good body of mine (27) sold his Nikon FF gear and bought a Fuji xt2 with a few lenses and couldn’t be happier. Personally I can carry what ever is out there, but I love my Olympus gear. Not every hipster is going after FF.
And that's perfectly fine. I'm a strong supporter of people using whatever camera it is that enables them to get the shots they want and enjoy doing that, whether it's m43, APS-C, FF, MF, etc. Like I said before, there is no "right" answer regarding a camera system. It all comes down to personal preference, goals, and what they're willing to tolerate (whether that be big heavy lenses, or slightly higher noise levels).

Focusing on improving ourselves, since we are the weak link, would be more productive. I mean how many threads do you see being started asking for help to improve one’s photo skills?
Yeah, but why focus on improving your craft when you can just throw money at a new toy and then tell people why its so much superior to the equipment they're using because your toy is newer than their toy?

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
They are lovely - but still OTT for youtube vids, just the same as a significant proportion of OMDXYZwhatever buyers will never get further than Walmart 6x4s.
Very true, but stuff shot in 4K looks out-of-this-world. I also tend to keep TV's for an extremely long time, so provided the electronics don't go out on these, I'll have them for the next 8-10 years (that's how long my previous Samsung TV lasted).

tkbslc

Super Moderator
I also tend to keep TV's for an extremely long time, so provided the electronics don't go out on these, I'll have them for the next 8-10 years (that's how long my previous Samsung TV lasted).
Me too. I'm still waiting for my stupid 2008 Samsung 720P Plasma to die so I can get that 65" 4K. :doh:

(Truth be told, I end up watching most things on my laptop after the kids go to bed anyway, so I'm fine....)

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Are the new canikon FB mirrorless out performing the Sony a7III? They are most definitely not, yet they cost more.
Because they have a huge installed customer base that wants/needs to reuse their lenses. So they can get away with underwhelming mirrorless bodies for now.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom